Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Texas sex offender & mandatory polygraph (Read 323703 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: Texas sex offender & mandatory polygraph
Reply #105 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 12:55am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Joe, thanks for posting this, very interesting. It is a conundrum. On one side, treatment providers say that the offenders cannot benefit from therapy if they do not disclose all paraphilia behavior. But, on the other side we have this pesky thing called the 5th Amendment. In most cases, additional charges are not brought against the offender, however, I am aware of one case in Washington State in which this happened. Perhaps it's dependent on just how egregious the admission is. If an offender is hiding serious felonies like a murder for example, he would be best to just do his time on the current charge rather than face additional prosecution. But, in this case, he is denied the treatment he needs. I would like to hear Raymond Nelson's input on this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #106 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 2:10am
Ex Member wrote on Aug 21st, 2015 at 12:55am:
I would like to hear Raymond Nelson's input on this.

Ark, don't hold your breath.

Pro-polygraph cheerleaders such as APA president Ray Nelson are loathe to post on this site in a sustained and active fashion.

Why? Unlike other polygraph forums, this site is uncensored. That means the polygraph-science pitchmen would have to defend their make-believe science -- and face the tough questions head on.

Imagine that. 

It's easier for the polygraph lobby to whistle past the graveyard. No surprise there, as polygraph promoters have more than enough gullible "polygraph science" believers as it is.

Make no mistake, the whole PCSOT scene is mainly about one thing: MONEY.

It's a polygraph ca$h cow -- conveniently cloaked in "community safety" psychobabble -- that's practically a legalized racket.

After all, skinners are a reviled underclass. 

Right, Ray?

Ray, if you -- or any other of your fellow polygraph apologists -- disagree, then please point us to the (non-self-report) peer-reviewed studies that show PCSOT is scientifically valid and truly reflective of the flattering accuracy claimed by the American Polygraph Association.

[cue crickets]

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe McCarthy
God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #107 - Aug 21st, 2015 at 3:07am
Ex Member wrote on Aug 21st, 2015 at 12:55am:
Joe, thanks for posting this, very interesting. It is a conundrum. On one side, treatment providers say that the offenders cannot benefit from therapy if they do not disclose all paraphilia behavior. But, on the other side we have this pesky thing called the 5th Amendment. In most cases, additional charges are not brought against the offender, however, I am aware of one case in Washington State in which this happened. Perhaps it's dependent on just how egregious the admission is. If an offender is hiding serious felonies like a murder for example, he would be best to just do his time on the current charge rather than face additional prosecution. But, in this case, he is denied the treatment he needs. I would like to hear Raymond Nelson's input on this.

Both sides of the fence should find it interesting and helpful.

And Dan, play nice with Ray

Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Raymond Nelson

Reply #108 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 5:26pm
Greetings,

Dan,

I was so glad when you stopped using the term "skinners" after I wrote my concerns about your persistent use of this term a couple of years ago in another online forum. It was nice that it did not take a lot of discussion at the time, and it has been nice not to have to observe your continued use of this term since then. I was dismayed at your use of the term "skinners" at that time - apparently before you turned into a polygraph consultant. I am equally uncomfortable with your renewed use of the term here. It is not a term that I have ever heard from any polygraph examiner other than yourself, and I have never heard from a clinical or law enforcement professional. I´ve worked around jails and prisons for a few decades now, and I simply cannot recall ever hearing another professional using the term - other than yourself. But it is perfectly clear - given the context in which you use the term - that it is a bit of prison slang term you adopted during your tenure as a part time examiner with NH state corrections is clear. When I ask other professionals who work in jails and prisons they recognize the term but uniformly indicate that they are not aware of the use of this term in professional discussions. 

So I am glad that you ceased using the term.

It does seem odd to me that you re-inject it here, and I hope you do not continue using the term. I am not quite sure what the point of your using the term here is, but I do understand that you like to stir controversy. 

Most of us are in favor of more language that is less de-humanizing. The tendency to de-humanize others is actually part of the problem of sex offending and it is impossible to imagine how any professional use of the term will lead to anything productive in terms of attitudes or understanding. How we treat others is more often not about who they are but more about who we are. 

Ark,

I´m not sure what the question for me would be. There are a number of easy misunderstandings that get attached to both the polygraph and the sex offender treatment context. It is also rather easy to misunderstand "denial" in the treatment context. Denial is superficially similar to dishonesty, but it is definitely not synonymous. A broader view would say that everything in sex offense specific treatment - and perhaps other forms of mental health treatment - is about denial, including reducing denial and increasing a sense of personal responsibility, self-acceptance, and of course self-mastery and self-actualization. Denial, of course, will interfere with all this, and can result in all forms of distorted thoughts, feelings, and behavior. In the sex offense context it is obvious and tangible. Denial of behavior, denial of harm and impact on victims, denial of unlawfulness, denial of immorality, denial of deviancy, denial of the broader meaning of a pattern of behavior in terms of what kind of person one is, denial of dangerousness, denial of intent, denial of awareness and culpability, denial of awareness of the thoughts and feelings of others, denial of conscience, denial of propensity for continued behavior, denial that good choices matter - along with denial that bad choices also matter, denial of self-esteem  - along with destruction of self-esteem when we do something that we are capable of recognizing as dysfunctional if we stop and think about it. Virtually every topic in treatment is, in some way, about facing reality, reducing denial, and increasing one´s capacity to deal with life on life´s terms, given the limitations and issues that an individual has to manage along the way. Denial and avoidance, in its many forms, along with the host of other maladaptive coping and defense mechanisms, is the reason or basis for the need for treatment. It is not necessarily a barrier to treatment. It is why people need treatment. 

It is also important to recognize that it is easy to confuse sex offenses with sexual deviancy and paraphilias. These are not synonymous. Oddly, some sexual offenses are not an expression of sexual deviancy, and not all sex offenses involve paraphilias. Some sexual paraphilias may not be unlawful. Some persons who have committed sexual offenses may not have problems with sexual deviancy. It is generally helpful for clinicians to first understand these concepts in general, and then understand the sexual behavior problem of the specific individual being treated. 

rn

IP Logged

God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #109 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 6:24pm
Ray, with all due respect, the polygraph industry seems to have a problem with treating some within the industry in a humanizing manner.

I think we need to fix the industry from within first, then we can work on fixing it in other ways with honest and genuine intent.

Just my take.

Having said that, Dan does get a wee personal when it doesn't have to at times.  I look past this because, well, Massholes can understand our own language.  Irregardless (Boston Slang), see you next week

Joe

IP Logged

Reply #110 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 7:03pm
Joe,

I do have an idea why you write that. At the state fair I saw an advertisement that said "if our competition has to bad mouth us then we must be doing something right." Made me think of several things. Mostly, it reminded me that negative marketing is as destructive as negative campaigning - it is a disservice to the community because it causes more confusion than clarity. But it is an effective way to manipulate others if that is the main  objective. It should not be the main objective. 

Regardless, it is always best to clean up our own side of the street first, if we want to move forward.

No doubt Dan seems to get personal at times. The back story on that is that I hurt his feelings some years ago in the old polygraph place forum. It is a well known and regrettable story. Regardless of whether unintended, it is actually not fun to hurt people. I wish I could change that part of the past, but sometimes all we can do is honor the fact than an issue exists. We can also address the issues at present. I have continued to try to look beyond anything personal and focus on the substantive discussion whenever there is substantive discussion. Some of Dan´s discussions have been useful; others feel a bit like an exercise in chasing one´s tail. Still other discussions feel like the well disguised marketing of a polygraph consultant, for which I cannot actually see any real benefit to the profession or to the community or to an individual (just a consultant taking a fee from a desperate client who is hoping someone can actually pull a rabbit out of a hat for them). But if they want to pay a consultant fee then I guess it is a free market as long as the service or product is legal. 

rn

IP Logged

God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #111 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 7:31pm
Quote:
I do have an idea why you write that. At the state fair I saw an advertisement that said "if our competition has to bad mouth us then we must be doing something right." Made me think of several things. Mostly, it reminded me that negative marketing is as destructive as negative campaigning - it is a disservice to the community because it causes more confusion than clarity. But it is an effective way to manipulate others if that is the main  objective. It should not be the main objective.

Belive it or not, I whole heartedly agree with out, but it is bad policy to let others walk all over you without defending yourself or your position.  It sets a precedent of weakness.

Regardless, it is a discussion I would love to have, and, maybe after apa, a lot of the negativity between me and other can be put in the past before it gets bigger.  I am not going anywhere and neither are they, it is time we all come to an agreement to achieve an uncomfortable peace over a war of attrition   

I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Joe

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #112 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 7:47pm
Quote:
Most of us are in favor of more language that is less de-humanizing. The tendency to de-humanize others is actually part of the problem of sex offending and it is impossible to imagine how any professional use of the term will lead to anything productive in terms of attitudes or understanding. How we treat others is more often not about who they are but more about who we are.

That sounds like hug-a-thug PC horseshit straight from the "I'm OK, You're OK" school of rehabilitation.

By your way of thinking, ISIS terrorists are merely freedom fighters, and the Nazis were simply misunderstood.

Quote:
Still other discussions feel like the well disguised marketing of a polygraph consultant, for which I cannot actually see any real benefit to the profession or to the community or to an individual...

Of course you can't, Ray.

To the believers, polygraph is a religion with only One Truth.

Polygraph apostates -- especially realists like me who advocate consumer protection -- are damned.

Make no mistake: Polygraph is all about money.

That's why the American Polygraph Association has condemned a bill of rights for polygraph test takers.

IP Logged

Reply #113 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 8:39pm
Dan,

Seems you have little idea how I feel about terrorists or sex offenders or Nazis. Feel free to speak for yourself, but please try to refrain from attempts at mind reading. You are not good at it. 

Given your publication of a study showing ~100% accuracy for a proprietary brand of un-replicatable secret-sauce type expertise, I hardly think you are a realist.

But I do understand that your dialog is probably good for (your) business. Probably some people are desperate enough that they are vulnerable to the need for false hope and confidence that one can purchase from a professional who is angling himself against the profession. 

rn

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #114 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 12:42am
Quote:
Given your publication of a study showing ~100% accuracy for a proprietary brand of un-replicatable secret-sauce type expertise, I hardly think you are a realist.

Really, Ray?

Then endorse an APA-sanctioned countermeasure challenge series, and let's see who comes out on top.

Unless, of course, YOU'RE CHICKEN.

I'm calling your bluff, amigo.

[cue crickets]

Meanwhile, go humanize a skinner who rammed his dick into the vagina of a one-year-old baby girl, and tell him "I'm OK, you're OK," so let's talk about it...

IP Logged

Reply #115 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 1:31am
Dan,

You are just being ugly. 

We all know I am happy to control people for the rest of their lives if they sexually assault children. 

There is a time and a place for the nitty gritty details: in therapy, in the polygraph, and in the legal context when deciding sentencing options. Sometimes in public discussions when we need a reminder that sex offenders are in fact dangerous and do in fact impact their victims in serious ways. 

Any one of us can find any number of real and graphic examples of the horribly real details of an assault. Each of us has heard it all at some point, and probably more than once. And each of us is capable of selecting the most graphic and ugly language to make the most dramatic emotional impact on the listener - if that is our objective. 

Here, your use of graphic and aggressive language seems to serve only to leverage your goal of appealing to people's emotions and not to any logical point or discussion of any real value. 

So between your criticizing the APA and the polygraph profession for being imperfect, and your selling you own version of ~100% perfect accuracy to anyone desperate enough to hope you can solve their dilemma...

you can have the crickets now. 

rn

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #116 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 2:04am
So, in other words, regarding the CM challenge series, you're chicken.

Right, amigo?

[cue crickets]

IP Logged

God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Reply #117 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 2:18am
Dan Mangan wrote on Aug 25th, 2015 at 12:42am:
Meanwhile, go humanize a skinner who rammed his dick into the vagina of a one-year-old baby girl, and tell him "I'm OK, you're OK," so let's talk about it...

UM wow, Dan

Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #118 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 5:33am
Quote:
Denial is superficially similar to dishonesty, but it is definitely not synonymous.

Interesting Raymond, I have to admit that this distinction had never dawned on me. So the Sexual History exam's core objective is to break denial; the laundry list of behaviors having only a secondary utility to the treatment providers. If a person were to admit to a murder or other serious undetected crime as this particular exam unfolds, how do you reconcile the 5th Amendment aspect of his admissions? Although crucial to his treatment plan, disclosing all could put him into an even more dreadful legal quagmire. Are there any mechanisms in place to alleviate these conflicts?

IP Logged

Reply #119 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 2:02pm
Ark,

Let's be clear. Sex offenders are dangerous people. They harm other people. Often smaller more vulnerable people. Sex offenders can be manipulative. For example: many sex offenders can have sexual contact with children and get other people to not notice it. Or if others do notice it they convince others to tolerate or worse to endorse it. Just take a moment and think about the kind of manipulation it would take to convince a child to do something sexual with an adult. Then take a moment and think about what kind of manipulation it would take to silence that child - because children under stress often do not hide it well and tend to get fussy like something is wrong. So sex offenders can be capable of making use of things like secrecy and manipulation and lies and other forms of social power and control (including violence) - and also including denial and avoidance. 

Then think about the fact that some sex offenders are actually not proud of what they have done, and are in fact shame-based people. And one of the things people do with shame - when they lack hope for any future alternative to shame - is put it away in some internal place of denial and secrecy.

Many years ago we used to hear the term "break denial" a lot from polygraph examiners and from other therapists. These days, I do not so much hear this term, except from some polygraph examiners. I do not so much hear this term from therapists who are current with the literature on evidence-based treatment and the role of denial. 

The role of denial in the treatment process is not so simple, and it would be a mistake to attempt to impose a simplistic view on this complex issue.

Probably a better term is "reduce denial," and probably a better term would be to increase personal responsibility. Some of the most effective therapists I know get this rather clearly. 

Breaking denial - as a function of a polygraph , or as a dramatic form of psychotherapeutic catharsis, or through the a confession obtained by a skillful interrogator - is of very little, if any, real value towards any therapeutic progress. 

There is virtually no evidence, in the scientific literature on clinical work, that catharsis is a realistic component of change.

In fact - my personal view after all these years - attempts to forcefully break denial may add more difficulty and confusion to the clinical treatment picture. Think about this: if we have ample reason to believe that a person committed a sexual assault (sufficient for conviction) then we have ample reason to believe that a person might benefit from treatment to manage (in no particular order) empathy deficits and aggression and cognitive distortions and social deficiencies and  self concept issues and sexual behaviors that led to the assault. 

But therapy and change is kind of an inside job, and if the person does not possess the motivation to do the work, then it ain't gonna happen much is it. 

Now we can motivate people externally to some degree - or to any degree we want. Just hold a gun to someone's head (metaphorically) and they will comply. But that will only lead to change and therapeutic process if we are correct in the magical belief that going through a checklist of items with only superficial compliance will lead to change. If superficial compliance is insufficient to internalize change and progress, then it will mean nothing and will only confuse and obfuscate those persons who are in fact motivated to change with those who are not actually motivated to change. 

Imagine a day in court with a sex offender who is massively resistant and yet does, with enough external pressure, pass a polygraph. In fact that the person is massively resistant and a danger to the community, might indicate a need for a safer treatment and supervision alternative than a sentence into the community. But passing the polygraph can be made to look as if the person is now "ready" or is now "doing exactly what we wan't." This is obviously incorrect. It will probably be better to leave the person in denial so that the denial and resistance can be more obvious and easy to observe and appreciate its meaning. 

So the process of treatment and all the things we do is often to find ways to help a person find and develop some internal motivation for change. Certainly, external control, supervision and accountability are very important for community safety. But if we rely solely on external forms of motivation and external forms of benchmarking treatment progress then we may ultimately loose the opportunity to make any real progress towards change. 

Now one of the hardest things for offenders is to give up the power and control and manipulative lifestyle. Directly related to this - in my view - is the difficulty in grasping the paradox: that they are dangerous and may only be safe around children when they remember that they are not and remind others that they are not safe around children. When they get the joke, and can still experience a sense of acceptance of themselves and acceptance by others, then maybe they can progress. 

So, in the end, nearly everything in treatment is about reducing denial in some form and increasing personal responsibility and self mastery (which requires personal responsibility) - and this can occur internally only when a person can also maintain some sense self and and human value - which requires quite a bit of resiliency when we are talking about rather ugly and unpopular things. So, it does take a balance of intrusive discussion, confrontation of problem behavior, external motivation, lifestyle development and social support to do this effectively. 

Along the way there can be a lot of denial, avoidance, resistance manipulation, power struggle, and other drama. 

Therapists are typically nice people, smart and decent. And so they will tend to want to take small risks as a necessary part of their work with therapy clients - including sex offenders. This is their job.

Polygraph - as a tool for elucidating information and discriminating truth and deception at rates far greater than chance or unassisted human judgement - is simply a tool for helping to manage the inherent risks. So that therapists can do clinical work without becoming so optimistic that they play into an offender's dangerous potential for manipulation. 

Polygraph, and information, and better knowledge about what to believe and what not to believe, are just tools for risk management.

I am certainly not a legal person, but there are procedural mechanisms in place to avoid conflicts around 5th amendment rights. The information interest to the clinical and risk management goals is the behavioral pattern. These exams are not conducted for criminal investigation purposes. Neither program policies nor examination procedures will require the disclosure of information at a level of detail that will typically result in a criminal investigation or criminal filing. As to whether those mechanisms are or are not adequate protection is for the courts. Of course, a victim of past abuse can always provide the information independently, and there will be no way to avoid an investigation or filing. 

rn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Texas sex offender & mandatory polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X