Normal Topic NRO Contractor Arrested on Espionage Charges (Read 21935 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

NRO Contractor Arrested on Espionage Charges
Aug 25th, 2001 at 10:24am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
On the evening of Thursday, 23 August 2001, the FBI arrested retired U.S. Air Force master sergeant and National Reconnaissance Organization (NRO) contractor employee Brian P. Regan on charges of conspiracy to commit espionage. This case will doubtless be of some interest with regard to polygraph policy, because NRO is one of the prime users of counterintelligence-scope polygraph screening. Whether Regan was polygraphed at any time after he allegedly began conspiring to commit espionage is not publicly known, but at a minimum, if the allegations against Regan prove to be true, the prospect of periodic polygraphic interrogation did not deter him.

For more on this case, see "A ir Force Retiree Charged as Spy" by Brooke A. Masters and Vernon Loeb in today's (25 Aug. 2001) Washington Post as well as CNN.com's index page for this story.

For a more detailed description of Regan's alleged conspiracy to commit espionage, see the 19-page "Affidavit in Support of Criminal Complaint and Search Warrant" filed by FBI Special Agent Steven A. Carr (987kb scanned PDF):

http://news.findlaw.com/cnn/docs/regan/usregancmplt82301.pdf 

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2001 at 11:45am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: NRO Contractor Arrested on Espionage Charges
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2002 at 12:22pm
On 14 February 2002, a grand jury returned a new four-count indictment of Regan. (He had been charged with one count of espionage in October.) An Associated Press article about the new indictment is available here:

http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?type=1&cat=0100&id=0202150312281730 

Brooke A. Masters and Dan Eggen of the Washington Post also report on the new indictment in a story titled, "Indictment Says Suspect Tried to Sell Defense Secrets":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A12737-2002Feb14?language=printer 

No word is available on the results of any polygraph screening "test/s" to which Regan may have been subjected.

The earlier indictment, dated 23 October 2001, is available as a PDF file here:

http://news.findlaw.com/cnn/docs/regan/indictment102301.pdf 
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2002 at 1:19pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

New Indictment On-line
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2002 at 1:12pm
The 14 February 2002 indictment is now available as a 1.9 MB PDF file at:

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/regan/usregan021402supind.pdf 

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2002 at 3:49pm
I am in touch with the NRO to determine whether or not Mr. Regan was ever administered a polygraph while a contractor for the NRO.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2002 at 5:09pm
Ms. Cathy Bowers of the National Reconnaissance Office, Office of Corporate Communications confirms that Brian Regan was administerd a counterintelligence polygraph interrogation, conducted by the CIA, in 1995 as a condition of his initial employment with the NRO. Mr. Regan had a long military career prior to being employed by the NRO, and earned a Top Secret as well as SCI rating.

Tangentially Ms. Bowers informed me that the NRO has their own polygraph interrogators, DoDPI trained.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2002 at 5:41pm
beech trees,

Regan's polygraph in 1995 seems to be well before the commencement of his alleged conspiracy to commit espionage. I believe the CIA tries to polygraph employees once every five years; perhaps the NRO follows a similar schedule. If so, Regan would have been due for another polygraph by the time he retired from the Air Force and began work with NRO contractor TRW in October 2000. Interestingly, Regan's SCI access was only restored in July 2001, by which time he was already suspected of espionage. I wonder if the delay in restoring his SCI access was because he needed to be re-polygraphed?

Did Ms. Bowers indicate that Regan was not polygraphed after the CIA polygraph in 1995?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2002 at 6:40pm
Quote:

beech trees,

Regan's polygraph in 1995 seems to be well before the commencement of his alleged conspiracy to commit espionage. I believe the CIA tries to polygraph employees once every five years; perhaps the NRO follows a similar schedule. If so, Regan would have been due for another polygraph by the time he retired from the Air Force and began work with NRO contractor TRW in October 2000.

Agreed, although we will probably never know what was in Mr. Regan's heart and mind at that time (1995) about what he would do in the future. Perhaps he feared military prosecution more so than criminal and was merely biding his time. Ms. Bowers told me that NRO employees are polygraphed at hiring and then 'aperiodically' thereafter.

Quote:
Did Ms. Bowers indicate that Regan was not polygraphed after the CIA polygraph in 1995?

She only confirmed the one. She neither confirmed no denied knowledge of Mr. Regan taking any other polygraphs, she just said she had no knowledge of any others.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

U.S. Seeks Death Penalty in Regan Case
Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2002 at 8:07am
In a front page article titled "U .S. Set to Seek Death in Spy Case" in today's (20 April 2002) Washington Post, Brooke A. Masters reports that the U.S. will seek the death penalty for Mr. Regan. The government also plans to present during the sentencing phase evidence that Regan actually committed espionage, and didn't just attempt to do so.

Jerry Seper of the Washington Times also writes about the Regan case in an article titled, "U.S. to seek death penalty in spying case" and David Stout writes about it in a New York Times article titled, "U.S. Sets Goal of Death Penalty in Air Force Sergeant's Spy Case."

See also the government's "Noti ce of Intent to Seek a Sentence of Death" filed in U.S. v. Regan (137 kb PDF).
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2002 at 8:36am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2003 at 9:33am
Jury selection begins today (13 Jan. 2003) in U.S. v. Regan, with opening arguments scheduled to begin on 27 Jan. See Washington Post staff writer Tom Jackman's article, "Execut ion Possibility Intensifies Spy Trial."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2003 at 3:25am
CNN reports that "FBI agents have recovered more than 10,000 pages of highly sensitive secret documents buried by convicted spy Brian Regan before his August 2001 arrest, government sources said Monday." See, "FBI digs up secret documents in spy case."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2003 at 3:31am
See also, "FBI digs up thousands of spy's documents" by Associate Press correspondent Curt Anderson:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/breaking_news/6404129.htm

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

NRO Contractor Arrested on Espionage Charges

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X