Normal Topic Fear and the Polygraph (Read 7130 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CalifMichael

Fear and the Polygraph
Aug 15th, 2001 at 1:21am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
???  My question is in regards to fear and its role in the polygraph examination.  If I were able to control my fear would that prevent the detection of deception?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Fear and the Polygraph
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 3:42am
Note that polygraph "tests" cannot truly detect deception: polygraphers make inferences regarding a subject's veracity based on their physiological responses to a set of questions. The technique has not been proven to work better than chance under field conditions.

The outcome of a polygraph "test" can be manipulated by the subject through the use of countermeasures which you'll find explained in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Reducing one's fear of the polygraph through understanding of the trickery on which polygraphy depends (and knowing how to subtly augment one's physiological responses to the so-called "control" questions) could certainly help one to pass, regardless of whether one is telling the truth or not.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CalifMichael

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 6:16pm
???  Thank you for your response Mr. Maschke.  I have read "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" and Doug Williams' "How to Sting the Polygraph" several times.  However, these publications do not mention whether the victim that must undergo a polygraph "test" can simply think about something unrelated to generate fear.  For example, let's say I was asked a control question, "Is there anything in your background that you are afraid that our investigation might find out?"  By nature, this would immediately induce fear.  The next question is relevant, "Have you violated this department's Standards for Drug Usage?"  If I were to lie, or felt uncertain, my response would be similar to that of the control question.  Therefore, is it possible to manipulate the polygraph results by thinking of something fearful during control questions?  i.e. thinking to yourself that the investigator might found out something negative about you or totally unrelated such as falling down an elevator shaft.

It seems to me that it should be possible to induce fear without using conscious countermeasures such as constricting the anal sphincter and changing your breathing? Some polygraphers have made claims that they can tell when their subjects are using these countermeasures.
Are mental countermeasures, such as thinking yourself into fear, simply not enough?  Or is it truly easier to use the prescribed countermeasures as described in the various publications mentioned above?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 6:34pm
CalifMike,

Yes, self-induced fear while answering the control questions can be a highly effective (and undetectable) countermeasure. You'll find this addressed at pp. 77-78 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

Quote:

3. Think exciting thoughts, (e.g., falling off a cliff, an encounter with a rattlesnake, being raped at knifepoint--use your imagination). You want to think of something that will make your heart race and cause an increase in blood pressure. Thoughts that require focused attention, such as quickly determining the square root of 223 in your head, etc., are also effective. Again, begin either as soon as you recognize a "control" question, or right after answering the "control" question, and continue for 8–20 seconds, but no longer than the beginning of the next question.

In peer-reviewed research conducted by Professor Charles R. Honts and others (see the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for citations and article abstracts), such mental countermeasures and physical countermeasures were equally effective.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CalifMike

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2001 at 6:42pm
Wink  I personally believe the polygraph is a great tool for interrogation of the uneducated but nothing more.  The readings that the machine records should be destroyed after the examination, as they are worthless.  It's sad that people are accused of lying because of an examiner's ability to interpret physiological responses to questions.  It's a witch-hunt not all that different than Arthur Miller's story of The Crucible.

Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pseudo Relevant
New User

Pull my finger, not my
leg.

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2001 at 5:35pm

Quote:

Wink  I personally believe the polygraph is a great tool for interrogation of the uneducated but nothing more.  

You're right. The technique involves lying to the examinee, telling them the "box" works. Even though the machine produces a graph, there's no way for the examiner or the "uneducated" to say what is and what is not a truthful response or a deceptive response. Of course, the examiner will try to convince you with card tricks and other stim tests that it does work, but it's all show. If we can get enough people educated, polygraph will be an exhibit tucked away in a dark dusty hallway near the Clinton Legacy display at the Smithsonian.

Poll: Credibility Rating (1 = Lowest, 10 = Highest)&&Rate the following jobs on the scale of 1 to 10 in accordance to your opinion.&&&&Forensic Psychophysiologist&&Sanitation Engineer&&Politician

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SUPERMAN
New User

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2001 at 9:29am
Quote:
Yes, self-induced fear while answering the control questions can be a highly effective (and undetectable) countermeasure.

Ya know i asked doug about this and he said that it would not work, so who do i believe?
Superman

"all men are created equal, and then the rest become law enforcement officers"

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2001 at 10:00am
Superman,

Doug is mistaken about this.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Fear and the Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X