Normal Topic Why make the needle jump? (Read 4830 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SUPERMAN
New User

Why make the needle jump?
Dec 18th, 2001 at 8:17pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I don't understand on control questions why we must make the needle jump.  For example
1. Have you ever cheated in college? (no)
2 Are you an honest person?           (yes)
3. Are you absolutely trustworthy?    (yes)
4.  Are you a dishonest person?        (no)
5.  is there anything in your background that you are afraid that out investigator might find out?    (no)

These answers are how I will respond to these questions, why do I want to make the needle jump when I answer "no" to "are you afraid of investigator's finding out about your background," isn't making the needle jump, a sign of lying?

And if the "driving under the influence question" is a control question, doesn't it turn into a relevant once you say yes and then they start asking you when and where you did it?

Another questions, on the card test, when answering "no" to all the cards, do I want to squeeze anal, or mental thoughts, when I get to the card I picked? Or do the same on all numbers?
Oh I am sure I will have more questions by the time this day is over, lol, thanks for everything gentleman.

Shocked

"all men are created equal, and then the rest become law enforcement officers"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Re: Why make the needle jump?
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2001 at 9:12pm
Superman:

I don't think the concept and theory behind the "Probabl-Lie" control questions test is clicking successfully in your mind.

Read the name of the test:  "probable-Lie control questions test."  Why do they call it the probable-lie test?
They call it the probable-lie control questions test because the examiner (and all examiners) expects (yes...EXPECTS) that all (yes ALL...even you Superconfused!) people will doubt themselves when they answer the probable-lie control questions.   

The probable-lie control questions are questions such as, "Other than who you told me about, did you lie to anyone else of authority?"  They are questions that nearly all people in the entire United States could have MULTIPLE ANSWERS for.  The examiner will expect you to doubt yourself when you tell them "no" during the exam on a question such as that.

The examiner will compare reactions to control questions--questions where they expect the person to doubt themselves and have heightened reactions--to reactions to the relevant questions. If the reactions to the relevant questions are even greater than the heightened reactions to the probable-lie control questions (caused by EXPECTED feelings of doubt), then you will be found deceptive/ a liar.  If you only have higher reactions on the control questions, and lesser reactions on the relevants, then you are found to be telling the truth.

Your missing the point that in order to pass the test, you need to have higher reactions on the control questions. The reason they expect this is because the examiner is TRICKING you into doubting yourself on the control questions so that they can see what your reactions look like when you are experiencing anxiety.

Remember, the control questions will be created out of you responses in the interview.  They will be broad ranging questions (cover a huge amount of time) that are not significant.  They are questions that most people can answer to with NUMEROUS answers.

You want the needle to "go up," as you say, on the control questions to MAKE SURE that you have higher reactions on the control questions.  This will ensure that you pass the test.

You want to be sure in your own ability to determine what a control question is, and what a relevant question is.  If your not good at distinguishing the two, then you might end up uing the countermeasure on a relevant question and cause yourself to fail.

Also, you are right about the drinking and driving question.  It can become significant if you say "Yah I drank and drove 5 to 10 times this last year, last time being yesterday night."
If you admit to anything on this interview question, say "I drove once in the last two years under the influence."  Don't admit to anything more than once or twice when it comes to drinking.  If you admit to more than that, the agency will get rid of you based only on your admission.

A control question regarding drinking and driving might be, other than what you told me, has there been any other time that you drove under the influence in the pas 3 years?
Again, they expect that anyone who drinks and drives will end up doing both at the same time on a number of occassions. Plus, as I said before, they expect you to doubt yourself and say to yourself in your mind, "Was I considered drunk that one time when I drove home from wendys?"  etc.

I suggest you try and clarify your understanding of the theory behind the probable-lie control questions test.   

It can't be explained in much more black-and-white than this

Netnin

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2001 at 9:50pm
Thanks Netnin,
You have been very helpful, so i guess i just answer those questions honestly but still use countermeasures, right?  I do know the diff between control and relevant now, thanks
Cheesy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2001 at 10:14pm
Superman,

I suggest that you slowly and attentatively read (or re-read) Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which explains the rationale for probable-lie "control" questions in detail. Do this without distractions (turn off the T.V., radio, etc.). The rationale for probable-lie "control" questions (and how to recognize them) is not very difficult, but it is the most complicated part of learning how to pass a polygraph "test."

With regard to the "stim test," by augmenting your physiological responses while falsely denying the number you actually wrote or the card you picked, you can increase your polygrapher's belief that you are a good candidate for a polygraph "test," leading him to expect to see strong reactions to the "control" questions if you are truthful (or to the relevant questions if deceptive).
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2001 at 10:31pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2001 at 4:35am
George,
You are a very intelligent man and I gotta hand it to ya, ya know your shi$, but talk English to me man, I mean man to man stuff, some of your words I bet are easy to interpret if they were said in my type of language.  Do ya know what I am talking about?  About the "stim" test, did you say "yes do use countermeasures" i am not sure, you talk to intelictual for me. thanks"
Supes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2001 at 5:45am
Superman,

Yes, you should apply countermeasures during the stim test. The proper time to do it is when the polygrapher asks about the number you are told to lie about .

As George said, the reason for doing this is to let the examiner think that the polygraph works really well on you because the "needle jumps" a substantial amount when you lie.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2001 at 7:50am
Thanks that's all I need to know. Thank you sir I will post my results as soon as I get back from testing.
TEXT

sorry if i was being a pain George

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2001 at 8:58am
Your very welcome. Feel free to ask any additional questions--either here or by email at scalabrini@antipolygraph.org. 

Let us know how it turns out.

IP Logged

Why make the needle jump?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X