Normal Topic Inconclusive (Read 7478 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ken

Inconclusive
Jul 11th, 2001 at 9:51pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have taken a polygraph for a state police agency approx.4 years ago it was termed "inconclusive", they wanted me to repeat but I withdrew because of the cost involved in traveling to the state for the third time, my question is next month I am required to take another one for a Federal Agency. I was wondering if at all it will come up if I had ever taken one, and if it does what should I tell them?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: Inconclusive
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2001 at 3:47am
Ken,

I think that it is safer to admit to having taken the poly than to deny it. It may be possible that your "jacket" is still in the agencies inactive files. If you are questioned about it just tell them what you have said here, that you couldn't afford to make another road trip to repeat the test

Your best bet would be to contact the agency that you took the test with and ask them how long they keep the old background "jackets". It is possible that they keep them only 1 year and destroy them or they could keep them 5 years.  

Your next step is to download and read The Lie Behind The Lie Detector and get yourself educated on just what tomfoolery the polygraph is. When you take your next poly you will have the power of knowledge and the ability to counter the ploys of the polygrapher.

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2001 at 2:58pm
I agree with Fred, it is always best to go with total honesty.
The fact that you took it so long ago probably won't affect your chances and you were termed inconclusive so you didn't exactly fail.  If you choose to hide it they may never even know about it, but depending on which Federal agency they are they may be better at finding things like that than the local PD's are.   

You really have nothing to hide or be ashamed of, just like Fred said, tell them exactly what you posted here and I am sure everything will go well.

If you decide to use counter measures remember the key word is "subtle" anything that makes the graphs go to high will indicate the use of counter measures, or at least make them suspicious.  You could also try the total honesty approach (I would like to think there are still some examiners with integrity out there), however in my case it didn't work in my favor.

Best of Luck and no matter what don't give up.

Dimas

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Burger

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2001 at 12:45am
What technique(s) is being used for all these pre-employment tests that are coming up "inconclusive"? My experience has been that pre-employment  tests are multiple issue exams. If this is indeed the case, are the examiners calling the applicants inconclusive for every issue or just one? An inconclusive result means that the polygrapher cannot determine truth or deception for that particular question. It does not and should not mean the person is lying and should not be a barrier for the applicants further consideration. It does mean that the background investigator has some work to do... to verify through other means if the applicant is being truthful or not. It is a sad, and I mean SAD, state of affairs if our law enforcement agencies cannot prove someone did or did not do something that would disqualify him/her and STILL NOT GIVE THE HUMAN BEING THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. Those responsible for the public safety need to come back to reality. There is no substitute for a thorough complete background investigation. Short cuts such as the polygraph are unnecessary and unethical. Do they really save time? NO! What did we ever do before the polygraph? Gee, I think we can do that now can't we? The way we treat applicants makes me ashamed that I'm even associated with the business!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John (Guest)

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2001 at 11:08pm
When asked if you ever took a polygraph before, just be honest and tell them yes. If they ask what the results were, be honest and tell them inconclusive. If asked were you requested to be re-examined, just tell the truth and say yes, but due to the travel expense required, you declined. Be honest. Only those who try to beat the polygraph ends up failing it.  This is probably what you don't want to hear, but it's the "TRUTH"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John (Guest)

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2001 at 11:35pm
Fred, I'm really disappointed in the advice you gave Ken about about trying to beat the polygraph.  First you told him to be honest and then you suggested he use tactics in an attempt to beat the polygraph. You are a hypocrite the polygraph professionals can do without

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Burger

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2001 at 2:07am

John wrote on Jul 19th, 2001 at 11:35pm:

You are a hypocrite the polygraph professionals can do without

By "Polygraph Professional" do you simply mean someone who gets paid for running polygraphs? If that's all you meant, we have no quarrel. If you meant more than that, you, yourself, are a hypocrite. A professional doesn't lie to the people (customer/employer) he is working for and pretend to be doing people a favor, when in fact he's trying to screw their lives up in order to gain a few brownie points. To twist your words abit... "professionals can do without hypocrite polygraphers" which nearly all of them are. I suppose.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2001 at 3:47am

John wrote on Jul 19th, 2001 at 11:35pm:

Fred, I'm really disappointed in the advice you gave Ken about about trying to beat the polygraph.  First you told him to be honest and then you suggested he use tactics in an attempt to beat the polygraph. You are a hypocrite the polygraph professionals can do without

John,

Let me clarify my position.

First, It is VERY important to be honest.

However a polygraph examiner is NOT honest. A polygraph has no scientifically tested "baselines" or peer- reviewed research to establish efficacy.  

A polygraph is "performed" by a "professional" that has 8-10 weeks of "training". This person then starts to assume that you are "holding back" information based on "readings" of your blood pressure, perspiration, and breathing patterns. If these "readings" are not what the examiner determines to be "normal" then you are deemed "deceptive" or depending on the examiners frame of mind, your "test" is "inconclusive", meaning that you are "withholding information". Then the examiner will attempt to "extract" this information on the premise that if you tell what you have "withheld" you will "pass". 

Would you trust a physician with 8-10 weeks of medical school to tell you that by information gathered on your breathing, perspiration, and blood pressure is indicitive of terminal cancer and you are going to DIE? 

You CANNOT determine "truthfulness" on a pseudoscientific format that the polygraph is based upon. The same goes for the scenario above, a medical student in 8-10 weeks CANNOT make a diagnosis from the parameters given.

Second, I did NOT suggest that he use "countermeasures" to beat the polygraph. My suggestion is always to be KNOWLEDGABLE in the "tactics" or "ploys" that a polygrapher will use in an attempt to discredit you and deem you "unworthy" , recognize these actions and COUNTER them by maintaining that you are HONEST and have INTEGRITY . Being educated is the power that can help produce a successful outcome to a polygraph. Using countermeasures is an INDIVIDUAL decision, I don't make decisions for people, the decision to use the countermeasures described in The Lie Behind The Lie Detector is for that individual to make.

I don't know if you have ever "passed" a polygraph John, however to honest people like myself, Nate, Dimas, who is a police officer that had a polygraph for another dept. that he was supposedly "deceptive", and Melvin, who successfully fought a bad polygraph and won, This website has given us invaluable education into The Lie Behind The Lie Detector.

Burger is right on the money when he said  "professionals can do without hypocrite polygraphers".

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2001 at 10:54am
John wrote on Jul 19th, 2001 at 11:08pm:

Only those who try to beat the polygraph ends [sic] up failing it.

John,

Those who have shared their experience on the AntiPolygraph.org Personal Statements page (and here on this message board) give the lie to your claim.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Inconclusive

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X