Normal Topic DOD tests (Read 4996 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J.Doe

DOD tests
Apr 22nd, 2001 at 10:04am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Is there anything peculiar or special about the DOD's security clearance polygraph testing?
I will soon be testing for a clearance and don't want the last year of my life to be wasted just because I "fail" a bogus exam.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: DOD tests
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2001 at 10:36am
The primary polygraph technique used by the Department of Defense, the so-called "Test for Espionage and Sabotage," (TES) is different from others in that it employs directed-lie (rather than probable-lie) "control" questions. These are covered in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. But you should also note that in fiscal year 2000, the only persons who didn't pass their DoD polygraph screening "tests" were those who made what their polygraphers deemed to be "substantive" admissions. Everyone who made no such admissions "passed." See my open letter to Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld on this:

http://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-011.shtml

For further reading about the TES, see also my article, "The Lying Game: National Security and the Test for Espionage and Sabotage":

http://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-002.shtml

and also the official documentation available on AntiPolygraph.org at:

http://antipolygraph.org/read.shtml#TES

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dave

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2002 at 10:59pm
Undecided Hello, I have worked for a dod agency for 20 years and have taken 8 polygraph tests.  I have always been truthful and have never had a problem.  The first test I took I was worried about, but I just told all.  I do know if I did something criminal I would never take it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2002 at 3:00am
Dave,

Your post reminds me of those of Duc748.  As I read your post, your implicit conclusion seems to be that you took the polygraph eight times, told the truth every time, and never had a problem, therefore, no one else should either.

It's a bit like coming back after a game of Russian roulette and saying: I spun the barrel, put the gun to my head, pulled the trigger, and never had a problem.

The only reasonable inference I can see from your experience is that not 100% of truth tellers will be falsely accused.  We already know that.

If the polygraph or any other procedure is, let's say, about as accurate as a coin toss, is it fair for the 50% who "pass" to claim that the procedure works just fine?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box l.liddy

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2002 at 10:46pm
Dave and Mark, I also have taken the polygraph test a few times (pre-employment, and one routine) and have never had a problem, but I think Mark is right in that it is not 100%, but then again nothing is.  I don't think anyone should expect it to be 100%.  The first test I took I had a problem with use of illegal substance.  The examiner talked to me and asked me what I was thinking.  I told him I have a girlfriend who part-takes in the smoking of marijuana every once in a while, and that's what I thought when he asked me.  We clearified the issue and I re-took the examination.  After the exam was over the examiner told me I did not fail the first test, but I was no opinion or he could not tell, and after resolving that drug issue I had no problem.  Back to the basic bottom line. No I don't think there 100%, but I'm not going to try and cheat or beat it if I have nothing to hide.

IP Logged

DOD tests

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X