Normal Topic Does the Polygraph or Security Clearance BI Check Officially Your Digital (Social Network) Footprint? (Read 720 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Larry the Cable Guy

Does the Polygraph or Security Clearance BI Check Officially Your Digital (Social Network) Footprint?
Mar 28th, 2022 at 10:19am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have several questions as I am about to go through a TS/SCI+poly clearance for a contracting job.  I'm in my early twenties and I'm addicted to social media like crack.

Does the background investigation for security clearances officially check your social networking and online presence now?  If so, how do background investigators (BI's) do this?   
Will they ask for your social media account usernames or URLs?   
Will they ask for your login passwords?

If BI's do not officially do this, do they do it unofficially, such as just Googling a candidate and poking around the popular social networking sites for hits?

What if your social media pages are private so that only your accepted friends can view them?  Will government agencies ask you to make your accounts public so that they can view the pages?

What unacceptable things on your social media can disqualify you from a clearance?

What about polygraph questions, have they changed at all in the past couple of decades to include anything about an applicants online presence?

I did not see anything on the SF86 about social media accounts.  I find it hard to believe if checking an applicant's digital footprint is not part of the process now, whether officially or unofficially.

I found this interesting thread on Quora but cannot verify the authenticity of it.
Anyone can chime in and enlighten me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Does the Polygraph or Security Clearance BI Check Officially Your Digital (Social Network) Footprint?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2022 at 8:44am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
See Security Executive Agent Directive (SEAD) 5, which governs "Collection, Use, and Retention of Publicly Available Social Media Information in Personnel Security Background Investigations and Adjudications:"

https://www.dni.gov/files/NCSC/documents/Regulations/SEAD_5.pdf

Section E.5 provides:

Quote:
5. Covered individuals shall not be requested or required to:

a. Provide passwords;

b. Log into a private account; or

c. Take any action that would disclose non-publicly available social media information.

Note that Standard Form 86 includes the following statement as part of the authorization for release of information:

Quote:
I Understand that, for these purposes, publicly available social media information includes any electronic social media information that has
been published or broadcast for public consumption, is available on request to the public, is accessible on-line to the public, is available to
the public by subscription or purchase, or is otherwise lawfully accessible to the public. I further understand that this authorization does not
require me to provide passwords; log into a private account; or take any action that would disclose non-publicly available social media
information.

Polygraph screening formats do not include any relevant questions (asked while the subject is connected to the polygraph instrument) specifically about online presence. However, both pre-test questioning and post-test interrogation can be broad and far ranging, potentially touching upon such matters.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Does the Polygraph or Security Clearance BI Check Officially Your Digital (Social Network) Footprint?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X