Normal Topic What kind of test is this? (Read 1993 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Questionpleaseanswer

What kind of test is this?
Apr 8th, 2021 at 8:09pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If the operator asked me questions and explicitly tells me to lie then asks a few relevant questions then once again asks the same set of questions m each prefaced with "Lie - is your name so and so" asking about 5 questions like that each instructing me to lie then asks relevant questions? I dont see any "control" questions involved here or am I misunderstanding? Can someone give me a clear answer on this?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: What kind of test is this?
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 6:05am
Could you list as many of the questions (of all types) as you can recall?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 10:49pm
Quote:
Could you list as many of the questions (of all types) as you can recall?

The questions I can recall where all prefaced with instruction to lie, until the relevant questions of course. So it would be like "Lie - is your name so and so" and then I would have to lie. He told me to lie before asking these questions. I can't recall all of them but they were along the same lines as what is my name. 

During this part of the test I was using breathing control and tongue biting, then when the relevant questions came I was fairly calm and collected and answered honestly. Although he still failed me. He didn't accuse me of using countermeasures and he didn't do a follow up interrogation. He just had me leave.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 11:23pm
Two other questions I remember where Have you contacted your victim, and have you had any drugs or alcohol. The main issue I'm finding with these polygraphs is that there seems to be only basic questions...nothing like "Have you lied to so and so" or "Have you ever stolen anything in your life" etc that stand out as control questions in the book. Only what appears to be stim questions, right? Like telling me to lie in advance makes it a stim question doesn't it? Or am I completely lost here, I could use some guidance. I felt perfectly calm and did what I thought was correct in using countermeasures during the questions I was told to lie, but was that a mistake? I don't understand how I failed this "test" I was so incredibly calm, I have a good sense of when my heart beat elevates or my blood pressure increases, or if I start to prespire and tbh I felt so at ease I almost fell asleep during the third round of questions. I feel like he just failed me for the hell of it? Like I said no post-test interview or accusations of countermeasure. He did say my test was "all over the place"...he also said I failed in the last round of questions, when I was pretty much my calmest... I don't get it.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 2:56am
I am unable to identify the polygraph technique used based on your description. I do not understand what you mean by "stim question." That's not a thing in polygraphy.

The procedure you describe sounds like a directed-lie "control" question "test." However, it is not standard practice to direct the subject to lie in response to irrelevant questions such as "Is your name ______?"
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2021 at 5:01am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box questionpleaseanswer

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 6:16pm
that's what he did though...he would instruct me to lie when he wanted me to intentionally lie. I read through the lie about the lie detector and I couldn't recognize what strategy he was using to conduct the polgygraph...

Is there a chapter about directed lie control question tests in the book? Maybe I missed that?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 6:44pm
Directed-lie "control" questions are addressed at pp. 107-111 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box qpleaseanswer

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 4:48pm
Thank you

IP Logged

What kind of test is this?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X