Normal Topic Feel punished for honesty and that my life is ruined (Read 5630 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PolySucks

Feel punished for honesty and that my life is ruined
Jul 21st, 2019 at 2:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I worked really really hard for many years to achieve my dream of becoming a cop. I busted my ass in college to get a bachelors degree in CJ. I lost a bunch of weight and got in really good shape. I gained experience and training in a related field. Got to a point where I was the #1 applicant for a PD. Got the conditional offer. Then I took the polygraph. The examiner and everyone else told me to be completely honest. During the examination they asked the question about sexual acts. It made me think back to when i was 11 years old. I don’t know why I did it, but on a whim, I licked my dogs thingy. Just one time and I never did it again. I started stressing out during the polygraph and decided to come clean. I thought I would be ok since they stressed honesty and told me several stories of people who came back from checkered past such as prostitution. Instead, they immediately discontinued me as an applicant and refuse to discuss the matter with me. I’ve put in for 2 agencies since then and they both discontinued me shortly after beginning my background.

I’m crushed. This was 2 years ago now, and I’ve been i living in hell since. I learned that if you did something, but nobody knows about it, to never admit to it because the polygraph examiner has no way to know. I’ve heard so many stories later of active police officers who blatantly lied about drug use and prior criminal history, got hired, and continue to work as police officers. I was stupid and gullible and let the stress of the test get to me. Now I feel like I’m blacklisted from achieving my dream. I feel like I’m being punished for being honest. Many of my friends have become cops and they don’t understand how I haven’t been able to.

I’ve tried looking at other careers to pursue but I feel like all them would be affected by mail polygraph debacle. I thought about law school but I’m afraid i can’t pass the character and fitness check. I thought about firefighting but from what I’ve seen, they have you list police and fire agencies you’ve applied to. I’ve occasionally contemplated suicide over all of this. I can’t tell anybody either.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Re: Feel punished for honesty and that my life is ruined
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 8:22am
The lack of responses to your post does not mean that no one is reading it or that no one cares. It just means that there is nothing useful that we can add. 

From reading all the similar posts here, you know that you are not alone, and that you are the victim of an institutionalized abuse. 

From reading the linked source materials and many of the answers here, you know that it is almost impossible to recover from the damage to your reputation. 

One thing you should know is that licking you dog's thingy was not a wrong thing to do. It is certainly very embarrassing to relate, but it was not sinful, evil, harmful, or stupid. It was simply the result of the normal and healthy insatiable curiosity of a child. 

You didn't lose your career because you once licked a dog's thingy. You didn't even really lose it because your potential employers found out about it. You lost your career because you described yourself in one way on your application and in another way to your interrogator. 

It is the difference that does people in. It is taken as an indicator that, under stress, you might not be able to hold in a secret. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PolySucks

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 2:51am
Thank you for the reply. As far as the damage to my reputation, can you please elaborate? I’m I just crappity smacked for any future government job, or just law enforcement? Can I get into something like being an EMT or Firefighter? What about the military?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 6:33pm
PolySucks,

Thank you for sharing your polygraph experience. As you've learned the hard way, it is never in any job applicant's interest to admit to any derogatory information that is not a matter of public record.

If you wish to pursue a career in law enforcement, you might consider moving to one of the five states where state and local governments are prohibited by law from subjecting employees or applicants for employment to polygraph screening. These five states are: Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Oregon.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go to law school if you're genuinely interested and have the means to attend. It could open the door to higher salaried and societally meaningful employment.

If you'd like to talk, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jose3536

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 6:28am
Similar thing happened to one of my friends is a military veteran he failed the background for telling the truth and then kept on getting disqualified for other agency's because they ask to put down previous agency's you have applied for. my advice to you is apply for federal law enforcement officer he works a federal law enforcement agency and they don't care where you have applied before they only care where have you worked before. one good federal agency that does not require poly and is law enforcement with 20 year retirement is the federal prison/bop.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jose3536

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 6:35am
he also used his GI bill to pay for a police academy, graduated and passed the state certification just never got hired from a local pd. He is now happy he got disqualified form local pd being with the feds has way better benefits and pay. and can transfer to all parts in united states including Puerto rico  and Hawaii.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Christopher Jonesey
New User

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 11:41am
Similar situation occurred with me

IP Logged

Feel punished for honesty and that my life is ruined

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X