Normal Topic Need Advice on Upcoming Polygraph (Read 2591 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SplishySploshy
New User

Need Advice on Upcoming Polygraph
Feb 2nd, 2019 at 4:19am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello, 

I'm sorry that this question is going to be a long-winded, repetitive one. But it is genuine. 

To start, I've been familiar with the lacking legitimacy of the poly for years now. The science behind it seemed faulty (the evidence against it strong) and I vowed to never take one. 

Fast forward to now, with me attempting to win the career lottery, I find myself face-to-face with the dreaded polygraph I hoped never to be subjected to.

Let's assume I'm an upstanding citizen who has been an asset to society and hasn't done anything which would eliminate me from this job pool. 

My natural instinct is to go into the poly, be truthful and hope for the best. But, reading and stats tell me that everyone else probably did the same thing (60-80% failure rate). I need to know for someone who doesn't easily get nervous, shame or anger, etc. is that going to be a good thing or a problem during this interrogation? Assuming that the only things that I did wrong are already on my application, minor and easy to take responsibility for being that they were when I was well under the age.   

I do not have a sensitive physiological response to: lying, telling the truth, shame or fear. I maintain the same breathing pattern and heart rate. I don't sweat from being nervous.  In essence, I don't feel much of anything (not in the way a sociopath might not feel anything..I prefer to think of myself as just extremely zen) in turns of bodily reaction to things like guilt. 

The machine doesn't scare me, it's the human bias behind it that could be a problem.  I acknowledge that this entire process is flawed and I understand I'm playing their game....but I need to try.

Basically, I'm trying to decide whether it would be best to be 100% truthful and not think about it, or be 'proactive' and try to elevate heart rate as much as possible with the control questions via visualization. (Though there's always the chance I could misinterpret a relevant question as a control question and auto fail.)

I consider myself a good person, but I'm not someone who feels guilt over having to do what's necessary to not be taken advantage of.  Whether or not I pass I still plan on mailing my representatives regarding the use of the polygraph. Political activism is a strong point of mine, and I exercise it regularly. 

I've been reading the book but not finished yet. How are the 30-40% able to pass? 

And my final question: Do they use your application, BI, or both in the poly?

Thank you

P.S  I hope none of that came across as bragging. I am no genius, this is just the way I am. Feeling nothing is not something anyone should want.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2019 at 5:45am by SplishySploshy »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Need Advice on Upcoming Polygraph
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 12:19pm
SplishySploshy wrote on Feb 2nd, 2019 at 4:19am:
I need to know for someone who doesn't easily get nervous, shame or anger, etc. is that going to be a good thing or a problem during this interrogation? Assuming that the only things that I did wrong are already on my application, minor and easy to take responsibility for being that they were when I was well under the age.

There is no research of any kind on this question.   

Quote:
I've been reading the book but not finished yet. How are the 30-40% able to pass?

Some are lucky. Some use countermeasures. None make disqualifying admissions.

Quote:
And my final question: Do they use your application, BI, or both in the poly?

Information from one's application and background investigation (if conducted before the polygraph) may be available to the polygraph operator beforehand. However, it seems that for pre-employment polygraph screening, operators usually spend little or no time reviewing the applicant's file before the polygraph session actually begins.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SplishySploshy
New User

Re: Need Advice on Upcoming Polygraph
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 3:22am
Thank you for answering, I do appreciate the help. 

IP Logged

Need Advice on Upcoming Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X