Normal Topic Please Help Me Understand Local Police Control Question (Read 12461 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box catrunner
New User

Please Help Me Understand Local Police Control Question
Aug 17th, 2016 at 3:49am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I take my polygraph test for a local police department in about 24 hours. 

LBTLD states:
In a probable-lie “Control” Question “Test,” the polygrapher will tell you that you must answer all questions truthfully, but he actually assumes that you will be deceptive when answering the “control” questions. He will deceive you about that expectation. “Control” questions tend to be broad and sweeping, spanning a long period of time. Common “control” questions include:
• Have you ever lied to a loved one?
• Have you ever taken something that does not belong to you?”
• Since the age of 18, have you ever considered hitting someone in anger?

Since most everyone can answer “yes” to all of these questions, the typical examinee will admit to one or two minor transgressions. The polygrapher will then move to contain these admissions, in order to leave you with the uneasy feeling that you haven’t told all. The polygrapher accomplishes this by trying to convince you that any further admissions on these questions will call your character and integrity into question, and that you would end up failing the “test” before it even begins. Following limited admissions, the “control” questions often end up structured as, “Other than what you told me, have you ever lied to a loved one?” The theory is that when you answer the question “no,” you must still be withholding something, or at least feel uneasy about not remembering some incident from long ago. The polygrapher treats your response to this question as though it were a lie.

I read this and am a little confused which is why I am asking now before my test. I now understand I should just say "No" to these kinds of questions instead of trying to explain that everyone lies. But I also want to know if these are the questions I want to bite the side of my tongue and do block breathing after I answer?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Please Help Me Understand Local Police Control Question
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 7:41am
Yes.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 11:30am
Do I have to hit every single Probable-Lie question in order for this to work? What if I recognize some and react to those but not others?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 11:45am
As we note in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, one should only augment reactions to questions that one clearly recognizes as "control" questions. This is important because mistakenly augmenting reactions to a relevant question may well result in one's failing. It's best if one can recognize all the "control" questions, but even if one recognizes only some of them and subtly augments reactions to them, it will help to reduce the risk of a false positive outcome.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 11:55am
Thank you Mr. Maschke, this is really helping me a lot.

After I say "No" when asking if I ever lied to a loved one, is he going to tell me that he knows I am lying and try to press me for confession or will he not say anything because he wants me to lie here?

Say for instance I was honest about something I didn't know was a control question. For instance, have you ever thought of hitting someone, and I say yes. He asks me to explain and I say I am sure I have but can't think of a situation right now. If I remember the book says he will change the question to "Other than what you have told me, have you ever thought of hitting someone" This is still going to be a control question even though it is just reworded correct?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 12:35pm
catrunner wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 11:55am:
Thank you Mr. Maschke, this is really helping me a lot.

After I say "No" when asking if I ever lied to a loved one, is he going to tell me that he knows I am lying and try to press me for confession or will he not say anything because he wants me to lie here?

Probably not. "No" is the expected and desired answer.

Quote:
Say for instance I was honest about something I didn't know was a control question. For instance, have you ever thought of hitting someone, and I say yes. He asks me to explain and I say I am sure I have but can't think of a situation right now. If I remember the book says he will change the question to "Other than what you have told me, have you ever thought of hitting someone" This is still going to be a control question even though it is just reworded correct?

Correct.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 2:27pm
The Sacrifice Relevant Question is technically a control question that just isn't counted right?

The example given in the book is "Do you intend to answer all questions truthfully?" kind of sounds like a control question to me, or is it not?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 2:39pm
catrunner wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 2:27pm:
The Sacrifice Relevant Question is technically a control question that just isn't counted right?

Polygraph operators consider it to be a relevant question that isn't scored.

Quote:
The example given in the book is "Do you intend to answer all questions truthfully?" kind of sounds like a control question to me, or is it not?

Clearly, this would be a poor choice for a relevant question, given the polygrapher's expectation that answers to the "control" questions will be untruthful.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 8:06pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 2:39pm:
catrunner wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 2:27pm:

[quote]The example given in the book is "Do you intend to answer all questions truthfully?" kind of sounds like a control question to me, or is it not?

Clearly, this would be a poor choice for a relevant question, given the polygrapher's expectation that answers to the "control" questions will be untruthful.

That makes sense. I will do the counter measures on it regardless so it doesn't draw any suspicion. 

I guess I am just having a hard time seeing what questions would be probable-lie control questions.

So far it seems like the majority of questions that start with "Have you ever...." or "Do you ever..." are probable-lie control. Especially ones that I could see any person in the world answering. For instance "Have you ever lied to a family member" Is that basically all I need to know about probable-lie control?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 8:36am
catrunner wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 8:06pm:
So far it seems like the majority of questions that start with "Have you ever...." or "Do you ever..." are probable-lie control. Especially ones that I could see any person in the world answering. For instance "Have you ever lied to a family member" Is that basically all I need to know about probable-lie control?

No. That is no shortcut to identifying "control" questions. Relevant questions may also begin with "Have you ever..." or "Did you ever..."

The fact that virtually everyone could answer a question "yes" when the expected answer is "no" is, however, a strong indicator that a question is a "control" question.

See pp. 140-44 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for tips on identifying "control" questions.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Please Help Me Understand Local Police Control Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X