Normal Topic mother wants me to take lie detector (Read 2722 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jared

mother wants me to take lie detector
Mar 18th, 2015 at 7:21am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So, how messed up is that? needless to say, Im not too happy about it. She was robbed of 50k in jewelry while out of town, left the alarm off and a door unlocked by accident, so her 2 sons and my wife are the top suspects, because she is "convinced it is an inside job." Reluctantly, Ive agreed to a lie detector, though Im pretty suspicious of their effectiveness. I don't feel like Ill be too nervous, Im telling the truth, but there is a lot at stake. My relationship with her is going to be pretty rocky after this, who wouldn't be extremely offended? Im going to be really angry if I fail the test, because then Ill have to defend myself the rest of my life. 

What are the chances I self incriminate myself if Im innocent? Am I just at the whim of the test taker? Ive found so many experts in the field of psychology who highly suggest avoiding these 'tests' if you can, so I really don't want to. But my crazy mom says Ill be assumed guilty if I don't take the test, which is pretty messed up.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: mother wants me to take lie detector
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 12:16pm
Jared,

Polygraphy has no scientific basis. As such, it isn't possible to meaningfully calculate the odds of an innocent person wrongly failing, but the best available field research would suggest about 50-50 odds. You would indeed be at the whim of the polygraph operator.

See our free book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, for a thorough debunking of polygraphy.

Polygraph "testing" is demeaning and degrading. If I were in your shoes, I would refuse the polygraph and encourage the others to also refuse.

You can show your mother the material available on this site. If you e-mail me, I could send you some additional material that may be helpful. In addition, your mother is welcome to contact me to discuss why a trial-by-polygraph is a bad idea (and waste of money).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Quote:
My relationship with her is going to be pretty rocky after this.

Aunty has the feeling that it has been rocky for a long time.

You should tell your mother that you will agree to a polygraph exam to prove you are innocent only if she will agree to a DNA test to prove she is your mother.

I also think that anyone who is asked to pass a polygraph exam to prove his innocence should consider two inescapable truths:

1. The polygraph lie detector is junk science and is no better than a coin toss.  It is poisonous to true justice because lazy police and vicious prosecutors can pretend to believe in it.

2. Anyone who makes a accusation based on flimsy or absent evidence is sure to have a heavy emotional investment in the guilt of the accused.  He (or she) will believe a lie detector test only if it indicates guilt, and will find an excuse to toss it out if it indicates innocence.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jared

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 8:15pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Mar 18th, 2015 at 12:16pm:
Jared,

Polygraphy has no scientific basis. As such, it isn't possible to meaningfully calculate the odds of an innocent person wrongly failing, but the best available field research would suggest about 50-50 odds. You would indeed be at the whim of the polygraph operator.

See our free book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, for a thorough debunking of polygraphy.

Polygraph "testing" is demeaning and degrading. If I were in your shoes, I would refuse the polygraph and encourage the others to also refuse.

You can show your mother the material available on this site. If you e-mail me, I could send you some additional material that may be helpful. In addition, your mother is welcome to contact me to discuss why a trial-by-polygraph is a bad idea (and waste of money).

Id appreciate that, please email me at jleemink@yahoo.com

IP Logged

mother wants me to take lie detector

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X