Normal Topic Quick question regarding SF-86 and PSI (Read 8555 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Scramjet

Quick question regarding SF-86 and PSI
Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:20pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Howdy, folks! I'm currently filling out the (brutal) SF-86 for an Intelligence Analyst position with the FBI, and have a quick question regarding that tire around so many people's necks: drug use.

Mind you, I've never taken a spliff off a joint in my life, and I've never done any drug ever recreationally. Seriously, ever - I've lived such a vanilla life, it would bore you to tears.

However, I DID work 80+ hours a week for about 11 months from June of last year into May of this year, and the two hours of sleep I got 5 days a week disappeared VERY quickly when I started doing that, and I was hit with insomnia and excessive sleepiness during my shifts. A friend recommended modafinil to help regulate my short sleep and long wake cycle, so I took modafinil to do just that. I stopped the day I quit that second job, because I readjusted VERY quickly to a normal sleep schedule and there wasn't any need for it anymore.

Now, modafinil isn't recreational. There's no buzz, no high, no nothing (you get more energy from a cup of coffee), you simply... don't get sleepy. No uppers, no energy boost, you just mentally feel like it's noon after a normal night's sleep instead of noon after no sleep for three days.

So, obviously, that leads me to this question: disclosure isn't an issue, as I'll admit readily to everything I've ever done in the SF-86 and PSI, and reap whatever it is I sowed, but would using modafinil bar me from employment with the FBI under their 10-year drug rule?

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all may provide!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Word to the Wise

Re: Quick question regarding SF-86 and PSI
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:18pm
The correct answer to Sec. 23.5 of Standard Form 86 ("In the last seven (7) years have you intentionally engaged in the misuse of prescription drugs, regardless of whether or not the drugs were prescribed for you or someone else?") is NO. Check the NO box. And don't mention this anywhere else on the form. Don't speak of it with any background investigator.

If you check the YES box you'll be opening a can of worms and inviting an accusation of deception to the drug question on the polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ramond Deis

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 1:59am
Can anyone explain the previous post? I don't understand why answering a question truthfully concerning prescription drugs could be considered deceptive.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 4:30am
Quote:
I don't understand why answering a question truthfully concerning prescription drugs could be considered deceptive.

I will take a stab at it. The key words are "intentionally engaged." If, after your root canal healed up, you decided to catch a legal buzz by taking the left over pain killers, then you may be perceived as one who makes imprudent choices or maybe even abuses (or will abuse) controlled substances.

IP Logged

Quick question regarding SF-86 and PSI

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X