Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) How can we get polygraphs banned for employment (Read 13159 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

Re: How can we get polygraphs banned for employment
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2014 at 10:25pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Doug Williams wrote on May 7th, 2014 at 6:58pm:
This is what I have been advocating for almost forty years!  I have always said that one of the best ways to stop the use of the polygraph is to sue the hell out of the polygraph thugs who abuse people with it.  

Here is one attorney, Mr. Gene Iredale, who just chalked up a BIG W for the victims who have been abused by the practitioners of this insidious Orwellian instrument of torture incorrectly referred to as a "lie detector".

Polygraph operators, read it and weep!  Cry   Polygraph victims, read it and rejoice!  Grin

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/07/4103242/dea-settles-suit-alleging-governme...

The lawsuit against the DEA for illegally administering polygraph examinations in direct violation of a federal law, the Employee Polygraph Protection Act, points out two things that I think merit much more scrutiny.  The first and most important is that this lawsuit pulls back the curtain and exposes the terribly intrusive and abusive tactics employed by polygraph operators – something I have been railing against since my testimony in congress in support of the EPPA in 1985.   The unconscionable actions of these polygraph operators are the very reason I have said that the use of this insidious Orwellian instrument of torture, aka the “lie detector” should be banned completely!   

Secondly, let's consider the case where federal employees were clearly violating a federal law – administering polygraph examinations in a deliberate and flagrant violation of the Employee Polygraph Protection Act!  There is no indication that anyone in Criminal Division Public Integrity Section of the DOJ – or anyone from the DOJ - did anything to investigate the criminal activity committed by federal employees.  These federal polygraph operators were engaged in criminal activity and obviously violated the federal law, but there is no indication that any investigation was conducted, no search warrants were issued, and no equipment or records were seized - nor were there any charges filed.  I wonder how many other federal polygraph operators have (and are still) engaged in this very same criminal activity, both on duty and off!  Where is the Criminal Division Public Integrity Section of the DOJ, and what, if anything, are they doing to investigate this ongoing criminal activity by these public officials?  What did the Inspector General of the DEA do?  Did anyone in authority do any investigation?  Is there going to be any prosecution for the criminal acts committed by these federal polygraph operators?

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - May 13th, 2014 at 12:59pm
Doug Williams wrote on May 12th, 2014 at 10:25pm:
Is there going to be any prosecution for the criminal acts committed by these federal polygraph operators?

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but last I heard EPPA violations are civil not criminal violations.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - May 13th, 2014 at 2:01pm
pailryder wrote on May 13th, 2014 at 12:59pm:
Is there going to be any prosecution for the criminal acts committed by these federal polygraph operators?

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but last I heard EPPA violations are civil not criminal violations.

Public officials can be fined, and even jailed for violating federal regulations.  These federal polygraph operators are public officials and they should be held to account for willfully, and deliberately violating a federal statute!

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1st4th5thand6th
User

Reply #18 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 4:53pm
Doug Williams wrote on May 13th, 2014 at 2:01pm:
pailryder wrote on May 13th, 2014 at 12:59pm:

Public officials can be fined, and even jailed for violating federal regulations.  These federal polygraph operators are public officials and they should be held to account for willfully, and deliberately violating a federal statute!

Doug, along these lines.(and in your personal opinion)..can individuals employed by the federal government,  who as a condition of that employment, swear an oath of office to uphold and defend the constitution of the United States...be prosecuted for violating their oath?   

Example, if Snowden  swears an oath to not divulge confidential information and does so - he's violated his oath and is considered a traitor by the United States...and can be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

What happens when federal employees violate their oath???   

Specifically, what happens when federal letter agency polygraphers, their bosses, and their bosses, bosses,  who take this oath and then violate it (daily) by exempting themselves from it during the course of a polygraph interview and/or violate/ignore the constitutional rights of the candidates they are "interviewing"  during the interview...
Using the lame excuse that candidates "volunteered"
via a signed a waiver ...does not grant a waiver to any federal employee of his oath... Nor does it grant them latitude to piss all over their candidates rights....    

What is the opinion of you and this board regarding this?  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 5:17pm
1st4th5thand6th wrote on Sep 27th, 2014 at 4:53pm:
Doug, along these lines.(and in your personal opinion)..can individuals employed by the federal government,who as a condition of that employment, swear an oath of office to uphold and defend the constitution of the United States...be prosecuted for violating their oath?

I don't think that failure to uphold and defend the constitution is a crime under the United States Code. Nor should it be. It's overly vague.

Quote:
Example, if Snowdenswears an oath to not divulge confidential information and does so - he's violated his oath and is considered a traitor by the United States...and can be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Snowden didn't swear an oath not to divulge confidential information. His oath was to support and defend the constitution, not government secrets. He did, as others with security clearances do, sign an agreement not to disclose classified information without authorization.

Quote:
What happens when federal employees violate their oath???

Typically, nothing.

Quote:
Specifically, what happens when federal letter agency polygraphers, their bosses, and their bosses, bosses,who take this oath and then violate it (daily) by exempting themselves from it during the course of a polygraph interview and/or violate/ignore the constitutional rights of the candidates they are "interviewing"during the interview...
Using the lame excuse that candidates "volunteered"
via a signed a waiver ...does not grant a waiver to any federal employee of his oath... Nor does it grant them latitude to piss all over their candidates rights.... 

What is the opinion of you and this board regarding this?

The courts have not held polygraph screening to be unconstitutional. While I think that those who choose to conduct polygraph screening have made a poor ethical choice, I think they are generally well-meaning, and I wouldn't accuse them of violating their oaths to support and defend the constitution.

That said, I think that polygraph screening is fundamentally unfair and inconsistent with humanist values.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

How can we get polygraphs banned for employment

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X