Normal Topic An utterly non-scientific "experiment" (Read 2680 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box curiouskat
New User

An utterly non-scientific "experiment"
Sep 18th, 2012 at 2:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So I decided to register for the forum here because my curiosity in polygraphy has continued and I've decided to undertake an "experiment" based on some problems that I've seen in the forums on this site:

1) Few people other than polygraphers ever see the chart readouts from a polygraph test.  Other than polygraphers, nobody really can see the "live-action" results of a polygraph.
2) The forums here are populated largely by people who have failed their polygraph.  There is probably a lot of bias in this...  People who have "beat" the polygraph probably wouldn't come to this site

Being the inquisitive person that I am, I decided that it might be a good idea to really test these things out and report my findings here.

There's a $99 USB polygraph out there...  It includes a 2-channel GSR, a pulse monitor (finger), and respiration "straps" (I don't know the technical term).  Basically, it is an almost-complete polygraph...  How accurate it is, I don't really know.  However, for the 3 items separately it would come out to a couple-hundred dollars, so I'm inclined to believe that these are the "real deal", if just not very fine-tuned.

Before I go out there and blow the $99 to test things out, compare the results, and do a big long-winded writeup about the physiological responses without counter-measures, with them, along with anything else of interest that pops up for me along the way.

I'm not so much interested in "does polygraph work" because anybody on this particular forum has an opinion on that, but I'm interested in seeing (and sharing) what happens to charts during different polygraph situations.

Do you think this would be worthwhile?  Does anybody have any experience with this $99 USB toy?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: An utterly non-scientific "experiment"
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 6:32pm
curiouskat wrote on Sep 18th, 2012 at 2:35am:
Do you think this would be worthwhile?Does anybody have any experience with this $99 USB toy? 

You get what you pay for. There appears to be no method of monitoring blood volume. Unless you want it for fun, I would not expect it to have much "real world" utility. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box curiouskat
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 1:59pm
If not having blood pressure available would render things useless, then maybe I should save my money in that case...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 5:38pm
curiouskat wrote on Sep 19th, 2012 at 1:59pm:
If not having blood pressure available would render things useless, then maybe I should save my money in that case... 

It all depends on what your experiment entails. You may want to peruse some websites that specialize in biofeedback equipment.

IP Logged

An utterly non-scientific "experiment"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X