Normal Topic poly charts sent out for scoring? (Read 2641 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ??CONFUSED??

poly charts sent out for scoring?
Oct 11th, 2012 at 7:42pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello,

I had to take an LE screening poly not too long ago.  The examiner completed two charts on me; the relevant/irrelevant test and a silent answer test.  Prior to conducting the exam, my examiner told me that he would be sending my charts out to Johns Hopkins for scoring.  I have taken a poly before and there were some specific concerns that my background investigator wanted the polygraph examiner to address.

After the exam was finished, my examiner told me that my body showed some "minor reactions" on the first chart but the second chart was smooth.  He didn't confirm or deny passing/failing and said that the charts would be sent to Johns Hopkins that evening.

I'm just curious if sending charts out for scoring is something that happens often or is it something that only happens under special circumstances? In what cases would an examiner send charts out for scoring like this? Also, does his explanation of "minor reactions" on the first chart and a smooth second chart sound like good or bad news?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: poly charts sent out for scoring?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:17am
I've gotta think that your polygraph operator was lying to you about sending the charts to Johns Hopkins University. The university doesn't solicit polygraph charts for scoring. Employees at Johns Hopkins University's Applied Physics Laboratory developed an automated polygraph chart scoring algorithm called PolyScore that is included with some polygraph instruments. Scoring charts with PolyScore is virtually instantaneous and does not require sending anything to Johns Hopkins University.

Your polygrapher's claim that you showed "minor reactions" is perhaps a good sign, because when charts are scored as "deception indicated," it is standard procedure to confront the examinee with the results and interrogate in an attempt to extract a confession.

Few polygraph operators tell examinees, "Congratulations, you passed!" One reason for this is that a more senior polygrapher might later review the charts and reach a different conclusion. And telling those who pass that they nonetheless "showed minor reactions" helps to keep them in fear of the polygraph (and not cocky about it having been a breeze to pass).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Re: poly charts sent out for scoring?
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 10:55pm
Relevant/Irrelevant polygraph examinations are not scored, they are viewed and if major reactions are observed to any particular question consistently on all charts, there is a post test interview to determine why the reactions are there.  Generally, if reactions are not viewed on at least two charts to the same question you have a call of No Deception Indicated.  

Most agencies have their charts reviewed by another examiner, which may be another examiner within the same department or may be an outside examiner.  I don't know why they would be sent to John Hopkins University unless an examiner happens to be there working on a project and does quality control for your examiner.  

It is my opinion, from your explanation, that you were truthful on your polygraph charts.  Good luck

IP Logged

poly charts sent out for scoring?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X