Normal Topic Clarification for POT and SPOT. Told the truth and failed. (Read 4132 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Peter Wallz

Clarification for POT and SPOT. Told the truth and failed.
Feb 14th, 2012 at 11:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hey guys!

I took a polygraph test a few weeks ago and failed even though I told the truth. I had read up on "The Lie Behind" the lie detector, but I think I got either a POT or SPOT test, and I wasn't sure how to use countermeasures on those. Reviewing the book, I don't think it clarifies that! I didn't not use countermeasures last time, and failed although I told the truth. I want to take it again, but I would like to know how to appropriately use countermeasures for these test in order to help make sure that I pass! Thanks for all the info/help!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: Clarification for POT and SPOT. Told the truth and failed.
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 1:06am
Quote:
I took a polygraph test a few weeks ago and failed even though I told the truth. I had read up on "The Lie Behind" the lie detector, but I think I got either a POT or SPOT test, and I wasn't sure how to use countermeasures on those.

You cannot "fail" a SPOT. It is simply looking for a point where "relief" is detected.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 12:30am
Without giving away enough information so that I may be identified, I know I took either a SPOT or POT. Not super sure on what the differences are. I was told by the examiner that I had failed and would need to re-test.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 2:59am
Quote:
Without giving away enough information so that I may be identified, I know I took either a SPOT or POT. Not super sure on what the differences are. I was told by the examiner that I had failed and would need to re-test. 

I would have to see the questions to verify, but if you were administered a SPOT or POT, then you were fed a line of bullshit by the polygrapher. In a POT, both the examiner and the subject know the key and the examiner surmises guilty knowledge if relief is noticed after responding to the known key.

In the SPOT, supposedly only the subject knows the key and the examiner is endeavoring to find out what it is among a set of possibilities.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 5:29pm
Quote:
Quote:

I would have to see the questions to verify, but if you were administered a SPOT or POT, then you were fed a line of bullshit by the polygrapher. In a POT, both the examiner and the subject know the key and the examiner surmises guilty knowledge if relief is noticed after responding to the known key.

In the SPOT, supposedly only the subject knows the key and the examiner is endeavoring to find out what it is among a set of possibilities.

Must have been a SPOT. Thanks for all your clarification on this. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for this sort of test and get them to leave me alone next time so I don't have to re-test? I don't have anything to hide, and I intend to be honest. I just want this harassment over with.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 9:03pm
Quote:
Are there any resources available to help me prepare for this sort of test and get them to leave me alone next time so I don't have to re-test? I don't have anything to hide, and I intend to be honest. I just want this harassment over with. 

This kind of "exam" does not yield any determination of Deception (or not). Hence, countermeasures could only be employed to confound the results. To accomplish this, I would think that what is mentioned in TLBTD regarding the R/I countermeasures would serve; see page 151.

The polygrapher may be calling you as "failing" the polygraph because he was unable to identify the key. Application of countermeasures as described, would make it even more difficult. 

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 8:07am
Quote:
Quote:
Are there any resources available to help me prepare for this sort of test and get them to leave me alone next time so I don't have to re-test? I don't have anything to hide, and I intend to be honest. I just want this harassment over with. 

This kind of "exam" does not yield any determination of Deception (or not). Hence, countermeasures could only be employed to confound the results. To accomplish this, I would think that what is mentioned in TLBTD regarding the R/I countermeasures would serve; see page 151.

The polygrapher may be calling you as "failing" the polygraph because he was unable to identify the key. Application of countermeasures as described, would make it even more difficult. 

That makes sense. In that case, I don't think I will bother with countermeasures since it seems like all it will do is make him more convinced of one thing or another. Again, thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Clarification for POT and SPOT. Told the truth and failed.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X