Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Polygraph ruined my career path. (Read 28895 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Russell41
New User

Polygraph ruined my career path.
Dec 7th, 2011 at 5:18am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My name is Russell Becker.  I am currently 41 years old, working as a janitor in Orlando FL.  I also work part time as a courtesy patrol in a mobile home park.  I have never been married and I have no children.  I have never smoked and I do not drink alcohol.   

I served four years in the United States Marine Corps (3051).  Honorable discharged in 1994.  I then went on to study at Liberty University.  I graduated in 1997 with a bachelors degree in Administration of Justice and a minor in Business.  I have never been arrested in my life.

My goal in life was to become a private investigator.  I applied for the FBI and failed their test (Tampa 1997).  I then took the US Secret Service exam in Jacksonville (1997).  I past this exam.  The next 7 months it was "I" who kept calling them for when the next interview was scheduled.  Meanwhile, I am working via. Kelly Services to pay my bills.  Then came my turn for the polygraph.  I had never taken one prior.

Only Yes/No answers staring at a blank wall.  The testor comes back and tells me I was being untruthful on the drug and serious crime questions.  I knew this was incorrect as I don't smoke... never have, never will.  I also have never comitted any crime.  I'm working and have been since I was 15.   

The testor then appeals to me to just admit to what I have done.   That I would be making 80K a year if I got the job.  I was insulted, asked to lie and my honor was being questioned.  They had pages of information I filled out.  They knew where I lived, worked and who I had as coworkers since graduating from High school in 1988.   

Yet they brushed me out the door.  The end.

I suspect they have limited spots and some Senator/Congressmans son or daughter needs a good government job.   My father served 24 years enlisted in the US Navy.  My brother served 6 years in the Navy.  I was the first in my family to graduate from college.  I spent 4 years away from my parents while in the Marine Corps (1 yr in Iwakuni Japan 3 years at Camp Pendleton) and this was how I get treated??  Seriously..... I am pissed!  They F%&€#d my life.   Angry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Polygraph ruined my career path.
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:22am
Russell,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the polygraph. It's cold comfort, but you have lots of company. Many truthful law enforcement applicants have been falsely accused of deception, and the US Secret Service has a reputation for operating the most abusive pre-employment polygraph screening program in federal law enforcement.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 3:15am
Russell41 wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 5:18am:
My father served 24 years enlisted in the US Navy.My brother served 6 years in the Navy.I was the first in my family to graduate from college.I spent 4 years away from my parents while in the Marine Corps (1 yr in Iwakuni Japan 3 years at Camp Pendleton) and this was how I get treated??Seriously..... I am pissed!They F%&€#d my life.

They can only F%&€#d with your life if you allow them. I too worked as a janitor and also spent 12 years in the Navy. Now I'm a scientist and nobody ever asks me to take a polygraph. Aim high Russell, Illegitimi non carborundum -- oorah!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 4:51am
Your right.  I have prettty much moved on from that dishonest system.  While listening on Coast to Coast, the memories were brought back.  

Its sad to read so many folks like myself who devoted many hours filling out all the paperwork to hit a wall based on one test, one person. 

The fact that my potential career was haulted on a lie perpetrated by them...(convienent that they can point to a device thereby avoiding personal accountability) is in my mind criminal.  

Imagine for a moment that in order to become a Doctor one had to go to some random building and perform some dishonest act. This is the final test.  If you chose not to "play" the testor denies your medical license.  We all know that wouldn't last long.  In our case, we are being asked to admit to something we have not done.  The many pages of where we have lived, who were our friends and teachers.  What did we do socially.  Page after page... was designed to help aid in the fact findings of new hires.  Why was it taken, not used and we are at the full mercy of one man and a machine?  The leaders of this system are responsible for giving out false hope to those who are qualified. 
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011 at 5:56am by Russell41 »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 10:46pm
Still working my two jobs.   Bought my first home via. VA loan.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 8:27pm
Sounds just like the tricks pulled by the CIA-scum polygraphers.

In case any CIA sum are reading these pages:

Tell the Office of Security that it can go f*ck itself!

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sully
New User

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2013 at 1:11pm
Yanno, first, I'm sorry for you Russell and do know what you went thru, and 2nd, the thought that keeps running across my mind is that they absolutely do use these machines to disqualify people due to quotas they need to fill, or as you say, a friend of a friend.  What I cannot fathom, is the mere fact, that heads of all these departments, CIA, FBI, and most police departments in the US, rely on these as being accurate?  That I cannot fathom, and the worst part is, these same people that supposidly believe in these poly devices, are the same people in charge of top secret information??????  Does that make sense, are they really that uninformed?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 3:18pm
I just noticed I left out a small detail.    Approximately 2-3 weeks after their polygraph test, I took my 2nd polygraph test curtest of the Orlando Police Department.   That one I passed.  No, I did not accept that position.   

Its all in the records.  Hope one day an HONEST review board looks into it.   I never went back to show the Secret Service that I passed the OPD poly test.  Not worth my time.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SourmashJoe

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 5:12pm
Russell, I've experienced the same thing as you and I can see and understand your frustrations. I've been trying to get on with different government LEA and I have not been able to pass several polygraphs despite having nothing to hide and telling the truth. Like you I have never smoked anything, do not drink and never have drank, have no criminal history, no automobile history, or anything like that. I graduated from a highly ranked primary STEM (science, technology, engineering & mathematics) university and have decent grades, or decent enough to work for any high tech company or place such as Nasa, Google, or top end automotive company. Additionally, I'm in a highly above average physical condition.

With all that said, during the first polygraph with a premier LEA in my area, I thought I passed the test with flying colors, yet the examiner came back saying I failed the question about my use of drugs and that I had other inconsistent results. I was upset and didn't know how that could be given that I've never done any drugs in my entire life, yet I was being branded as a Mexican drug lord or meth addict. During the re-test with the same agency, a different examiner told me that I had absolutely bombed the test and wasn't even close. He then asked me what was I holding back, and I told him nothing and that there wasn't anything else for me to say cause I had already said everything. Yet he still insisted that I was holding something back and may have committed some crime or did something like that, which I wasn't telling him. That was ludicrous to me given that I've never committed a serious crime or anything even close. A week or so after that, I got a letter in the mail from them saying I was disqualified from employment consideration cause of the polygraph, which is utter BS. I was upset though given that I was the most fittest, and likely one of if not the most smartest candidates that was in the hiring process till I got kicked out.

For another Gov't LEA that I applied to, I made it to the polygraph stage and after the exam, I felt for sure that I knew that I had passed it. I was and felt calm, didn't move at all, stared at a blank spot on the wall, didn't cough or take deep deep breaths, and did not even think about anything during the questioning except for giving a truthful yes or no based on the question asked. Yet to my surprise when I went back into the room to here my results, the examiner said that I failed utterly miserably, and I was like "not possible" in my mind. The examiner went on to tell me that I was hiding something about my criminal history and needed to tell him everything but once again, I couldn't tell him anything cause I had nothing to say. He also told me that I was lying about my prior employment history, which is ridiculous cause why would I lie about something like that. When unless its a job being paid strictly cash, that they could just go an look up my tax information in some big database. He kept on though trying to get me to confess to working somewhere else that I hadn't been telling him, as if he wanted me to admit that I'm some big pimp managing prostitutes in Miami, which is a city a few minutes from where I am now. 

The polygraph machine has to be a bunch of utter nonsense. I can't buy it at all, given the experiences I've had with it, despite telling the truth. I'm also beginning to think that the polygraph may be heavily biased against those coming from a certain background, upbringing, race, or something like that. Cause a question aimed at one person may be perceived as a conviction to him or her, while the same question to another person may just be simply taken as a simple question. It is stupid to think that a machine that uses 4 parameters can detect if a person is lying. The human body is such an extremely complex organism that even the brightest PhD's and MD's don't understand, so I don't see how some person with a lame, junk science machine can understand the human body any better. Heck, every human being has a different heart beat pattern, different finger prints, different iris shapes, and so on and so on, so why would everybody respond the same to a stupid question!!!!  Angry  Angry

Government practices are often all shady, screwed, and unnecessary. Government officials are some of the biggest hypocrites I've seen too. I bet you all the money in the world though that they would never make it a requirement to take a polygraph to be a U.S soldier or marine. So they can ship you of to Iraq, Japan, Afghanistan, Libya, South Korea, Libya, or Uganda to face insurgeons, IED's, and rifle rounds without the blink of an eye, but when you happen to get closer to entering their crooked secret boys and girls club they then want to all of a sudden want to be all honest and full of integrity(that's sarcasm). I'll get of my soap box and end my rant though  Lips Sealed , it's just a totally unfair and stupid process when they can just easily do a thorough background check before hiring.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pandasn
New User

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 6:44pm
I am so sorry that that happened to you! 

I heard they use the polygraph so they can cut costs with regard to the background investigation. But the background investigation is already so in-depth!!!

Why hasn't someone started a petition that everyone in law enforcement/the IC can sign? Do they really believe it works or are they just scared to rock their comfortable government-job boat?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 7:15pm
Quote:
The polygraph machine has to be a bunch of utter nonsense. I can't buy it at all, given the experiences I've had with it, despite telling the truth. I'm also beginning to think that the polygraph may be heavily biased against those coming from a certain background, upbringing, race, or something like that.

You mean the truth as YOU see it.  Of course blame it on the machine.  Do you honestly think the machine knows your race, background, or if you have an accent?  Maybe the machine didn't like your moustache.  Or the clothes you were wearing.  Oh wait, I know- the machine detected your bad breath, that's why you failed!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 7:39pm
Quickfix,

Good point. Polygraph instruments don't harbor such biases. But those who operate them may. A study by the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (now the National Center for Credibility Assessment) suggests that innocent blacks are more likely to wrongly fail the polygraph than innocent whites. Examiner bias seems the most likely cause.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 7:44pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Mar 26th, 2014 at 7:39pm:
Polygraph instruments don't harbor such biases. But those who operate them may.

No argument on that point.  Examiners are not supposed to be biased, but rather a neutral, disinterested party.  Not always the case, particularly in criminal exams.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SourmashJoe

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 8:17pm
Quickfix, I won't stoop down to your level of making insults over the internet. However, if you understood linguistics and the use of words in it's context and can actually read, you will notice that I never said "polygraph machine" but I said "polygraph". "Polygraph" being semantics for the entire polygraph process including the questioning that I mentioned, which you failed to quote, due to your urge to try to demean someone in order to make yourself feel better. Obviously, by my use of the word "question" as a verb and "perception", I am referring to a bias between 2 humans and not that the machine has feelings and can make judgments.

However from your quotes, it sounds like you have a tremendous amount of self esteem (sarcasm), and maybe those same insults that you mentioned (bad breathe bad close, bad mustache) are things that you all possess and are quite familiar with given your instant and petulant use of them.  Wink

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 8:55pm
I don't even have to try to demean you;  you've done that all by yourself.  The fact that you have failed "several" polygraphs with "several" LE agencies speaks volumes. Perhaps you should pursue employment that does not require honesty or integrity as part of the application process.  May I suggest shopping mall security guard?

IP Logged

Polygraph ruined my career path.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X