Normal Topic I'll tell you a story about the polygraph (Read 6772 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box abusedbygov
New User

I'll tell you a story about the polygraph
Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:30pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well, I'll tell you a story about the polygraph. I'm a convicted 'sex offender' even though there was no sex and no one, other than me, was offended (more on that later.) As part of my 'treatment' I was given a "full sexual disclosure" polygraph. The entire test consisted of 9 questions. 3 were control stuff like "is your name Joe" etc. A couple more were in the realm of "have you been truthful on the pre-test?" Finally, there were 2 questions about sex with minors. "Have you had sex with a minor since you were 25?" (No.) "Have you had any sexual contact with minors that you are not telling me about since you were 25?" (No.) After the test, I asked for my results. I figured I passed easily, since I hadn't lied about anything. Ho ho ho for me. The polygrapher stated "It was inconclusive." He seemed upset about this. I asked him what that meant, and he said "When they ask me, I will be forced to say that I have no opinion'.

Last month, my counselor told me she was "concerned" about some answers I had given on the test. I was floored, since I thought it was 'inconclusive'. The polygrapher stated that, even though he couldn't get a crappity smacking reading from the Oracle, it was his opinion that I was employing 'countermeasures' on the last 2 questions! Just the last 2. I read up on 'countermeasures' in your countermeasure section and concluded that it was WAY to complicated for my little brain, so I went in there and figured "what the hell" and took their stupidassed test. I breathed the way he told me; I didn't fidget; I didn't move. I answered all the questions in the same monotone. BUT, because his God can't be fallible, obviously it MUST be the fault of the examinee. Hence, I crappity smacked with his test. So, he interpreted the test in a way that made him feel good about the machine--his god--and made me the fall guy. Technically, if my P.O. thinks I'm up to no good as a result of this test, she could violate me and send me back to prison. All because some polygrapher cannot fathom his God having feet of clay. God save us from the true believers!!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: I'll tell you a story about the polygraph
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 4:39am
abusedbygov wrote on Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:30pm:
I read up on 'countermeasures' in your countermeasure section and concluded that it was WAY to complicated for my little brain

I would encourage you to have more self confidence. Read it over and over again. It does not require great aptitude, just practice and refinement. Also, I personally would recommend continuing with treatment to the best of your ability. Be honest and use countermeasures only to ensure you don't get a false positive result. If ever you feel you are in jeopardy because of a polygraph "test", you should seek the advice of your attorney immediately.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 6:31am
Last month, my counselor told me she was "concerned" about some answers I had given on the test.

You should tell your counselor that her analysis methods are incongruent with established polygraph techniques. The polygraph technique requires a scoring of all the charts as a single entity with a cumulative score which will render a decision of Deception Indicated, No Deception Indicated or Inconclusive--there is no line item veto. If this polygraphist indeed did properly score your charts and found such score to be Inconsclusive, then you neither passed nor failed it. Tell your counselor to study up on the Single Issue Backster Zone Comparison Test and she will see it in black and white. These notions of seeing reaction on one particular question and extrapolating it to deception have little utility beyond using it as a rubber hose during your interrogation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 12:37pm
abusedbygov,

Thank you for sharing your story, but please refrain from cross-posting to multiple threads. Duplicates of your post have been deleted, and this post along with replies have been moved to a new message thread.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 8:28pm
Sorry. I didn't know which forum was the most apropos.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 1:13pm
I'm a convicted 'sex offender' even though there was no sex and no one, other than me, was offended (more on that later.)

aubsedbygov

I look forward to the rest of your story.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2011 at 11:43pm
Quote:
Last month, my counselor told me she was "concerned" about some answers I had given on the test.

You should tell your counselor that her analysis methods are incongruent with established polygraph techniques. The polygraph technique requires a scoring of all the charts as a single entity with a cumulative score which will render a decision of Deception Indicated, No Deception Indicated or Inconclusive--there is no line item veto. If this polygraphist indeed did properly score your charts and found such score to be Inconsclusive, then you neither passed nor failed it. Tell your counselor to study up on the Single Issue Backster Zone Comparison Test and she will see it in black and white. These notions of seeing reaction on one particular question and extrapolating it to deception have little utility beyond using it as a rubber hose during your interrogation.

Thanks for replying to my post. I have a question for you, though. In researching the Backster Zone Test (and bear with me, I'm a complete neophyte) it seems there is some controversy as to whether or not it is, de facto, the final word on the subject. Some "experts" (?) say it is, some say it is not. Who is the authority?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 5:33am
abusedbygov wrote on Nov 17th, 2011 at 11:43pm:
Thanks for replying to my post. I have a question for you, though. In researching the Backster Zone Test (and bear with me, I'm a complete neophyte) it seems there is some controversy as to whether or not it is, de facto, the final word on the subject. Some "experts" (?) say it is, some say it is not. Who is the authority? 

There is no real authority--only depends on which shaman one chooses to bow to. I suggest you read up on the entire history of the polygraph and you'll see its evolution. I cited the Backster ZCT as the core concept which envisions my previous point where the determination of Deception or Not cannot be dissected from the scrutiny of individual questions but rather from a holistic approach to the charts as being a single entity. Any thread of accuracy they claim diminishes dramatically as they veer from the Single Issue ZCT.

IP Logged

I'll tell you a story about the polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X