Normal Topic Volitional Polygrph Question (Read 10014 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box qrqzz88

Volitional Polygrph Question
Aug 26th, 2011 at 3:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I work in an environment where many of my coworkers have opted for a higher level of clearance and were required to take a polygraph as part of the process.  I have been considering following suite as a way of increasing my job security.  What I wonder about is how one's personality type should be taken into account when considering such a path.  For example, I find that I am a person who has many self doubts, I'm not very good at mind games and I'm generally easily intimidated.  The idea of being interrogated gives me a very bad feeling.

I believe that it is possible that I could prepare myself sufficiently for the "exam".  I realize I would have to reread many times TLBTLD and practice.  But clearly there is a significant risk of failure.

Is there any advice you would have for someone in my position?

BTW: thank you all for your efforts and attention to this cause!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: Volitional Polygrph Question
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 5:33pm
Quote:
I find that I am a person who has many self doubts, I'm not very good at mind games and I'm generally easily intimidated.The idea of being interrogated gives me a very bad feeling.

This is fertile ground for the interrogator. I would suggest you find ways to flip these attributes around so that you can manipulate the manipulator. I have seen literature which teaches such skills.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 8:14pm
qrqzz88Quote:
I would suggest you find ways to flip these attributes around so that you can manipulate the manipulator.

That could turn out to be quite a difficult task, indeed.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 2:44am
Quote:
I have seen literature which teaches such skills.

Do you happen to have a reference?  I would be interested in reading more about this, though I can see how I may be steering into turbid waters...

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 7:30am
Quote:
I would be interested in reading more about this, though I can see how I may be steering into turbid waters... 

Then you must become the shark within those waters. I would suggest you begin by searching for anti-kinesics or related key words.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:14am
stefano
Quote:
I have seen literature which teaches such skills

My searches drew blanks.  Can you provide a specific reference?
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011 at 2:41pm by pailryder »  

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 8:29pm
pailryder, first start by viewing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The mental prowess of most examiner/interrogators is on par with Nurse Ratched.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 9:41pm
I found the following publication, but I don't know where it first appeared or if it was ever reviewed:

Detecting deception during interviews - Great Communicators
by John L. Waltman, Steven P. Golen

I would guess that kinesic counter measures would include a substantial kensic response during the control questions...

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:51pm
stefano

If you cannot provide a cite, admit it.  No need to call names.

And, by the way, I already know the best counter to a kinesic assessment. 

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 11:00pm
Quote:

I would guess that kinesic counter measures would include a substantial kensic response during the control questions...

Are you for real?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 1:41am
I think you know by now that I can cite it; I just don't jump through hoops like a trained dog. I am serious about nurse ratched, study her.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 4:58am
pailryder wrote on Aug 27th, 2011 at 11:00pm:
Quote:

Are you for real?

Okay, I admit I'm getting into material that I know even less about than the material covered in TLBTLD which I've only begun to study.  The fact that the subject of kenesis isn't covered in TLBTLD is not reassuring, so I would assume I'm stepping out onto thin ice.

It would be useful to know if there are personality aspects that almost certainly spell disaster when it comes to taking a polygraph.

On the other hand, part of me feels that I could pull it off, but then I could easily be fooling myself.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 12:35pm
qrqzz88

For the most part, agencies select their most successful interrogators for polygraph training.  Almost all have good interview skills and are already trained to make kinesic assessments and to analyze prompted and non-prompted verbal responses.  Many have years of experience and training before being selected for polygraph training.  They are not as dumb as some on this board would like you to believe.  Consider before you choose to mud wrestle a pig, you both get dirty and the pig likes it.    

Quote:
It would be useful to know if there are personality aspects that almost certainly spell disaster when it comes to taking a polygraph.

Dr Maschke is better qualified to answer that one.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2011 at 9:37pm by pailryder »  

IP Logged

Volitional Polygrph Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X