Normal Topic Passed Poly - Failed Two Poly's Still Employed... but (Read 8083 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box depressed
New User

Passed Poly - Failed Two Poly's Still Employed... but
Jun 2nd, 2011 at 4:03am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I do not want to say with which agency but suffice to say I have been a contractor for several years. I initially passed the FS Poly and was hired. Years later, recently, I wanted to move into "regular" employment with said agency and was required to take another poly. I failed miserably due to the caustic nature of the polygrapher (in addition it looks like the polygrapher had tons of baggage, which may have saved my bacon). I was granted a new test, and although the polygrapher was much, much better I simply could not get the first poly out of my mind. The second polygrapher did everything they could, to the point of telling me to get any thoughts out of my mind, but alas it was not to be. 

It was interesting in that the first polygrapher told me that the poly was 99.9% accurate, yet the second polygrapher told me it was nothing but a "stress" test and could not determine lies/truth.

Fast forward... this agency, after all my years of service and regular backgrounds wanted to yank my clearance. I fought it, consulted with an attorney, wrote an appeals letter, and had the backing of gov't employees, supervisors, and division managers. I was told that my appeal was adjudicated favorably and I could keep employment and my clearance/access.

I have been scarred no less from this process, and have seen very well qualified individuals, high ranking ex mil, you name it all fail due to "drugs", etc. though they took none. Back to my question...

My big question is this: I am actively looking for other work that is mentally stimulating and that will be conducive with my education and training. Basically, fed employment is out of the question, though I still at times put in for jobs, but USAJobs seems to be drying up. However, other contractors are hiring like crazy in my area, but here is the catch. One contractor wanted to know if I had a clearance and FS poly (to which I have a clearance and passed my first FS Poly). How do I respond to this given the situation above? Do I inform them of what happened, especially if they want to poly me again (chances are, and I would honestly tell them, I probably would not pass)? Thoughts?

Due to my line of work and some of the things I deal with day in and day out I firmly believe that what you do, even legally in the course of your duties, translates over to heightened emotions, interpreted as "lies" during the poly. So for example, your line of work deals with the low dregs of society involved in drugs, day in and day out... guess what? Some people have emotional reactions to this and, in my opinion, and others, will probably not do so well on a "drug" question... anyways, thoughts on the above question? Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Re: Passed Poly - Failed Two Poly's Still Employed... but
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 7:18pm
Depressed:  all DOD agencies operate under the same policy;  it's the most recent poly that counts, no matter how many you've passed before.  The most recent one is the one that dictates whether someone is hired.  Based on your comment that you likely would not pass a FS poly because of the drug issue, your choices are dwindling.  If you still desire to pursue federal/intell employment, you would be well-advised to pursue one with an agency that only requires a CI-scope poly.  Your chances of getting hired are much better, since  DOD agencies share poly results nowadays, and have reciprocal agreements to honor each other's poly results.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 3:41am
quickfix wrote on Jun 2nd, 2011 at 7:18pm:
DOD agencies share poly results nowadays, and have reciprocal agreements to honor each other's poly results. 

The good old boys' club.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box depressed
New User

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 11:42pm
Thanks. The thing that chaps my ass is I have degrees in logic, mathematics, and other sciences, and see the poly as one hundred percent BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!! How can some of the polygraphers that come on here, and the profession in general look at you or respond with a clear conscience that ploygraph testing, ie physiological and psychological responses are a direct correlation with the device? IT IS NOT!!!!!! I have even talked to polygraphers who say its nothing more that a stress test. The logic defies me and its almost like Hitler relying on super weapons, ie technology to win the war, not going to happen...

I hope the pool of candidates dries up, which it will within the next few years (set theory - looking at stats) if they maintain their stringent requirements. That will be funny, especially with people like myself with real talent, who have decided to pursue other avenues... then again it will not matter - the US will be a third world country within the next few years - Rome rots from within.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:42pm
depressed,

I think quickfix did a good job addressing your question. It's the last polygraph that "counts." So if you're applying for a job that requires a top secret clearance with full-scope polygraph, you cannot state that you have a current passed polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Passed Poly - Failed Two Poly's Still Employed... but

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X