Normal Topic Failed USSS poly (Read 8566 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JayAndrew725

Failed USSS poly
Mar 25th, 2011 at 5:19am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I applied with the Secret Service and having successfully completed other applicant phases I was scheduled for a polygraph. My first poly came back inconclusive after a four hour exam and I then took a 2nd poly a week later, which I was told that I failed.  After about 15 minutes on the machine (3 tests conducted back-to-back-to-back) The examiner accused me of having committed a "serious crime" (which includes murder, rape, robbery, assault, child molestation, beastiality, burglary, etc.).  He stated that since I was a cop and I had been divorced he figured that I had either a. beat suspects in my custody or b. beat my wife.  I have been in law enforcement for almost 10 years and this could not be further from the truth. My marriage was bad (hence the divorce) but it was not abusive.  I have never used drugs, never been charged with a crime (not even a traffic or parking citation), and I have NEVER committed a crime other than minor traffic violations (speeding, seatbelt, texting while driving, etc.).  I'll admit that I am guilty of being extremely nervous but thats it.  After all, had I gotten the job it would have doubled my current salary.  I did not attempt countermeasures as I did not think I needed them and wanted to do it "honestly".  It's ironic how honest people are disqualified by the "lie-detector".  What voodoo.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Chuckles
User

Polygraph Survivor

honesty is not the best policy
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:45pm
Sorry to hear about you getting screwed over by the polygraph, I have been there. It is really a mind twister - when I was getting ready for my first two polygraph exams I would not have dared to even read about countermeasures, because I was (like you) under the impression that honesty is the best policy. I didn't know what countermeasures were back then, but even if I did I wouldn't have looked into them. I guess I was afraid the polygraph examiner could read my mind or that I would feel guilty for even daring to read up on it. 

On the other hand, spies, assassins, bad guys - they all know they got a lot to hide. As soon as they find out they have to take a polygraph exam they start researching how to beat it. They find out how to tell the polygraph examiner exactly what he wants to hear and employ countermeasures during the exam. The bad guys pass the exam with with flying colors while those who would feel guilty even looking up countermeasures are eliminated. I can't understand why they still use the polygraph when it rewards deviousness and punishes people who just go in there and give it their trusting honest answers.

It may be too late for you to get a job with the government, but thanks for posting here. Maybe the next Secrete Service applicant who finds out she has to take a polygraph will see this and learn from your experience. I think people assume that anyone who uses countermeasures is trying to cover up a lie, but that is just guilty thinking from people who have internalized a never question authority attitude. I have never lied in a polygraph exam and I wouldn't want to but I failed two before I realized that telling the truth is no defense against a failed poly. Since then I have learned how to do countermeasures (from "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" book) and passed no problem. I do post-conviction sex offender polygraph exams.

I remember the previous times I went in there unprepared to take the polygraph exams. I also felt wicked nervous, but this last time I was a lot calmer. Understanding why the polygraph examiner says what he says takes (he's trying to scare you) takes the sting out of his little "warning talk." Controlling my breathing helped me feel like I had some control and was not just a victim of the process. Augmenting my response to the control questions was kind of nerve racking (to me it is kind of like mentally patting my head and rubbing my stomach). It's great if you get nervous when you are augmenting - having a physiological reaction is the goal.

I only wish that more honest people like you found out about this website before their lives were derailed by the polygraph. Maybe you can help get the word out if you know other people trying out for the police or secrete service. You would be doing them a big favor it you warned them before they went into their polygraph exam like lambs to the slaughter.

Chuckles

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Phill

Re: Failed USSS poly
Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 9:57pm
SAME EXACT experience just happend to me today, did not use any countermeasures or anything. Went in there with confidence and told the entire truth and guess what? 6 hours later I failed with an interoggation afterwards, a massive headache and discomfort and dehydrated because some hater doesn't want you to get a job. They will fail you if you tell the truth. It's a shame. Then they will accuse you and embarass you and treat you like crap and a nobody.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gil
New User

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Quote:
I applied with the Secret Service and having successfully completed other applicant phases I was scheduled for a polygraph. My first poly came back inconclusive after a four hour exam and I then took a 2nd poly a week later, which I was told that I failed.  After about 15 minutes on the machine (3 tests conducted back-to-back-to-back) The examiner accused me of having committed a "serious crime" (which includes murder, rape, robbery, assault, child molestation, beastiality, burglary, etc.).  He stated that since I was a cop and I had been divorced he figured that I had either a. beat suspects in my custody or b. beat my wife.  I have been in law enforcement for almost 10 years and this could not be further from the truth. My marriage was bad (hence the divorce) but it was not abusive.  I have never used drugs, never been charged with a crime (not even a traffic or parking citation), and I have NEVER committed a crime other than minor traffic violations (speeding, seatbelt, texting while driving, etc.).  I'll admit that I am guilty of being extremely nervous but thats it.  After all, had I gotten the job it would have doubled my current salary.  I did not attempt countermeasures as I did not think I needed them and wanted to do it "honestly".  It's ironic how honest people are disqualified by the "lie-detector".  What voodoo.

Jay..Please DO NOT feel bad. Myself and many others here went through similar experiences with USSS and other agencies (FBI myself). I'm extremely thankful that George has set up this site and I have learned quite a bit.

The sad thing is that you can easily be a job candidate one minute and a crimnal rhe next. Once they have their minds made up, then it's a losing battle.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jason gordon

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 9:16pm
Special Agent Jeff Rohrer performed my poly in Albany, GA.  I still cant believed he failed me for telling the truth.  He looks like a thingy with a goatee.  I hope someone ruins his life as he has ruined mine.  It must be nice to be the "bully" who gets to pick on the innocent...funny I thought us law enforcement officers were supposed to fight for the truth, not twist it into "lies" we can use to fail a good candidate out and get a stat out of it.
I will say that I find it very ironic when I read stories of USSS Agent who get arrested for serious crimes...I guess that polygraph ain't worth a damn eh fellas?! lol

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:15am
Quote:
He looks like a thingy with a goatee. 

I admit that I got a chuckle out of that, but I must emphasize that personal attacks against anyone, while they may give some temporary relief, will tend to diminish your own credibility. Focus on the inequities, not the person.

IP Logged

Failed USSS poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X