Normal Topic Polygraph Question (Read 4975 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box thesolutions
New User

Polygraph Question
Oct 28th, 2009 at 10:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently took a polygraph with an agency and was informed that I was DQed since my polygraph test showed deception and I did not give any good reasons for the deception. When my test was completed and I was questioned about the questions showing deception I just told them that I was telling the truth and did not have a reason for the deception. Before this test I took another polygraph with another agency and failed as well. I informed this administrator of the failed test and also failed the same two questions on this test. When they asked me about the deception on these two question I did tell them that I was concerned about the questions since they were ones I was accused of lieing about on another test. 

Does anyone have any advice on how I should of handled this situation? 

Thanks....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Polygraph Question
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:28am
Quote:
I informed this administrator of the failed test and also failed the same two questions on this test. When they asked me about the deception on these two question I did tell them that I was concerned about the questions since they were ones I was accused of lieing about on another test.

To whom do you refer when you say "this administrator"?  The one for the previous polygraph or the one for the MOST RECENT polygraph?

It would not be wise to tell polygraph interrogator #2 you failed test questions A and B when tested by polygraph chart gazer #1.  Don't you think they'd be likely to go along with their fellow colleague and ALSO fail you on those questions?

It's kinda like going into a bar and hitting on woman #1, getting rejected, then going up to and hitting on woman #2 at the next table right in full view of woman #1.   Woman #1's rejection of you, puts peer pressure on #2 to also reject you!  And if you went down the street to another bar, would you hit on a woman and say:  "I just got rejected by a woman down the street.  Can I buy you a drink?"

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BBernie
User

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:33am
If it wasn't so funny and true ... it would be very, very sad!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:45am
This administrator was the current one I was taking the test with. Before the test she did ask if I ever took a polygraph before and what where the results, as well as what questions did I fail. And yes this is a true story... sad but true...

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:47am
Also, when the administrator wrote my report about the questions I showed deception on, she said that I did not give any good reasons for the deception and that she figured I was lying...

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 3:11am
Now, try the same scenario with a couple of radiologists.   And I bring this up because polygraphers at "The Polygraph Place" have tried to compare polygraphs with X-rays.  Using a lame argument like "Gee, no scientific test is perfect.  Even x-rays have an error rate!".  This, in response to astonished posters looking for answers after failing a polygraph.

Anyway, I don't think a second radiologist would be as easily biased by the conclusion of a previous radiologist when reading an X-ray.  He/she would just carefully read the chart.  Many would not even want to know what a previous doctor had concluded.  "Just let me take a look at it.  Have a seat in my waiting room lad."  

And the thing is, X-rays have "test-retest" validity.   IOW, if you x-ray the same cranium several times, you're going to get pretty much the same result.  You may get different professional conclusions, from different radiologists, usually in really close cases, but it's the same damn cranium!  The test conditions are the same and are controllable.  Put the same freaking head up to an x-ray plate and shoot freaking x-rays through the same freaking head, and you'll get the SAME freaking shot.

The same can NOT be said of polygraphs.  You can't control conditions.  People can pass one test, then fail another.  And even is there WAS a congruity of test results, there is STILL no unequivocal relationship between "reactions" on a polygraph chart, and "deception".   If an X-ray shows a fracture in a head then there is a fracture in the patients freaking head!  If a job applicant shows a consistent pattern of "reaction" on a chart to specific questions, you can only concluded his/her autonomic nervous system is consistently "reacting" to that question.  For whatever reason that happens to be.

And of course, none of this matters.  The polygraph is not a test.  It's an interrogation DISGUISED as a test.  The only thing that matters is to what degree the person subjected to the polygraph BELIEVES the polygraph is a test.  The more they BELIEVE it, the more SUSCEPTIBLE they are to questioning their own answers, and fall prey to the interrogators subtle and not so subtle suggestions. 

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BBernie
User

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 3:16am
Has anyone heard of another "truth detector" being looked at involving analyzing brain patterns to determine if someone is telling the truth?  I have heard studies are being done regarding this.  I am unsure of the validity of them, but from what I heard, the accuracy is a heck of a lot better than the CVSA or the polygraph x10!

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:49am
Quote:
Also, when the administrator wrote my report about the questions I showed deception on, she said that I did not give any good reasons for the deception and that she figured I was lying...

You could just as easily say she gave you no reasons to show how the polygraph showed you were "deception".  But that is exactly the assumption they make. 

I respectfully submit that it would have been MORE logical for the 2nd polygraph operator to just test you, post her result, THEN ask for the results of your previous test?  If she came up with the same result, would that have been more impressive?

Let me read your palm.  Have you ever had your palm read?  Yes?  How long did she say you'd live to?  80?  YES!  I see the SAME THING!   

What a joke!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 1:00pm
I understand.. thanks for the input... Since this was for a LEO position I am sure she would of not liked it if I told her to do my polygraph first and then I will give you my old results... Seems like a catch 22 to me.... you cant win either way....

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 6:42pm
Quote:
I understand.. thanks for the input... Since this was for a LEO position I am sure she would of not liked it if I told her to do my polygraph first and then I will give you my old results... Seems like a catch 22 to me.... you cant win either way....

No you couldn't, and it is a catch 22.  I only posted that to show what a farce the whole process is.

If you have already taken a polygraph and failed, you are in a bad position to start with.  There are LE agencies that no longer require a polygraph.

TC

IP Logged

Polygraph Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X