Normal Topic Questions concerning polygraph (Read 3714 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lola
New User

Questions concerning polygraph
Sep 29th, 2009 at 1:28am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello everyone I am new to this site and have many questions but I'll only start with one tonight. I am currently in the army and I have submitted a applaction for the Secret Service. I am very nervous about the polygraph but after what I have been reading on here maybe I shouldn't be. So am I understanding this correct? Basically during my polygraph I should not admit to anything that could jeapordize my chances right? I dont really have anything to admit, but I have used illegal drugs (not much at all) in the past. I am going to admit to the cannibis because I only tried that a couple of times but I that all I'm going to admit to. I have tried other stuff before, not very of that either though. I just dont want to get automatically disqualified. Any feed back would greatly be appreciated!
Thankyou

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Questions concerning polygraph
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 6:17pm
Lola wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 1:28am:
Hello everyone I am new to this site and have many questions but I'll only start with one tonight. I am currently in the army and I have submitted a applaction for the Secret Service. I am very nervous about the polygraph but after what I have been reading on here maybe I shouldn't be. So am I understanding this correct? Basically during my polygraph I should not admit to anything that could jeapordize my chances right? I dont really have anything to admit, but I have used illegal drugs (not much at all) in the past. I am going to admit to the cannibis because I only tried that a couple of times but I that all I'm going to admit to. I have tried other stuff before, not very of that either though. I just dont want to get automatically disqualified. Any feed back would greatly be appreciated!
Thankyou

The polygraph has nothing to do with being truthful on your application and your background packet.  You should answer all of the questions honestly and, when you take your polygraph, answer all of the questions honestly.

If you past choices result in you being disqualified then you should accept responsibility for your mistakes and apply elsewhere.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Knightshaiid
User

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 4:01pm
Ignore what 'Sergeant1107' wrote, he obviously wants people to believe in the lie that is polygraphy.

The polygraph has nothing to do with being truthful, at all. It's an interrogation technique and a ploy to get you to confess things. IT DOES NOT INDICATE LIES OR TRUTH. The use of polygraphs ought be discontinued in selection processes, as 'answering the questions honestly' won't necessarily work.

Read The Lie Behind The Lie Detector off this site, then go to http://thepiratebay.org/ and put 'Polygraph secrets' into the search bar and download the packet you find using utorrent to decode it.

Polygraphs have a very high false positive rate (meaning they accuse truthful people of lying) and most polygraphers are paid on how many 'confessions' they get.

You should definitely be truthful with regard to your background, and if you're getting polygraphed, take steps to ensure the truth is believed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 8:45pm
Knightshaiid wrote on Oct 28th, 2009 at 4:01pm:
Ignore what 'Sergeant1107' wrote, he obviously wants people to believe in the lie that is polygraphy.

The polygraph has nothing to do with being truthful, at all. It's an interrogation technique and a ploy to get you to confess things. IT DOES NOT INDICATE LIES OR TRUTH. The use of polygraphs ought be discontinued in selection processes, as 'answering the questions honestly' won't necessarily work.

Read The Lie Behind The Lie Detector off this site, then go to http://thepiratebay.org/ and put 'Polygraph secrets' into the search bar and download the packet you find using utorrent to decode it.

Polygraphs have a very high false positive rate (meaning they accuse truthful people of lying) and most polygraphers are paid on how many 'confessions' they get.

You should definitely be truthful with regard to your background, and if you're getting polygraphed, take steps to ensure the truth is believed.

Your post makes no sense.

In the over five years that Sgt1107 has posted on this forum, there has been not a single instance--including the post above--where he has voiced support for polygraphy.

One should be truthful in an application process because it is the right thing to do, not because of intimidation by some pseudoscientific "lie detector."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 9:41pm
Knightshaiid wrote on Oct 28th, 2009 at 4:01pm:

Did you bother to read my post before commenting on it?  It does not appear so.

Regardless of whether a person is going to be polygraphed, they should be truthful on their application.  If they made bad decisions prior to their application, and those bad decisions disqualify them, so be it.  That has nothing to do with passing or failing a polygraph, or even with taking or not taking a polygraph.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Knightshaiid
User

My mistake?
Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 1:27pm
If I misread you, I'm so sorry.

But the words "You should answer all of the questions honestly and, when you take your polygraph, answer all of the questions honestly" to me, at first glance, don't sound like someone who is aware of the high rate of false positives.

I'm not encouraging anyone to lie - I am encouraging people to protect themselves so that their honesty is believed.

IP Logged

Questions concerning polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X