Normal Topic Took a poly and inconclusive = fail and have some questions. (Read 4488 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eraines
New User

Took a poly and inconclusive = fail and have some questions.
Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Long story short, I went in after reading and re-reading TLBTLD, even though I know the machine can't detect lies (of course some examiners will tell you quite the opposite) I was still quite nervous and could feel my Fight or Flight reaction during certain questions.. I was being 100% honest and forthcoming with everything that came to mind (Just stupid little things) Basically I failed.

I have been rescheduled for early this week, my question is..
Why am I still feeling this "Fight or Flight" reaction when I think abut being questioned again? I have nothing to hide.. I have ALWAYS been a nervous person, just wound tight as my GF says. 

Is there a way to control this reaction?

Relavant\Irrelevant questions.. The only CM for these are breathing? I've read Chapter 3 many many times.. and this is what I am getting.. please correct if wrong.

To keep a pretty solid reaction across the board during both types of questioning? My issue is.. I get hyped up on the relevant ones... 
Does anyone have any pointers or something that helped them remain calm?

I think I'm psyching myself out too much... I can tell you I felt like a total douche when I left.

Thank you 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eraines
New User

Re: Took a poly and inconclusive = fail and have some questions.
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 5:23pm
another thing  read about R\I is they are looking for more reaction from the R ?'s than the I ?'s. is that true?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 6:13pm
Eraines wrote on Oct 6th, 2009 at 5:23pm:
another thing  read about R\I is they are looking for more reaction from the R ?'s than the I ?'s. is that true?

No, it's not true. In the relevant/irrelevant technique (at least as used by the US federal government), the irrelevant questions are not scored. Instead, the polygraph operator looks for "consistent, specific, and significant" reactions to any particular relevant question.

The two federal agencies that rely most strongly on the R/I technique are the CIA and NSA. With these agencies, it is common for examinees to be told they are "having problems," to be badgered for admissions, and to be brought back for one or more follow-up sessions.

With the exception of the pneumo channel, it is very difficult to suppress physiological reactions on the polygraph. However, you might want to review the behavioral countermeasures outlined in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector before your next polygraph session.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Polypro Pauline
New User

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:59am
George W. Maschke wrote on Oct 6th, 2009 at 6:13pm:
With the exception of the pneumo channel, it is very difficult to suppress physiological reactions on the polygraph. However, you might want to review the behavioral countermeasures outlined in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector before your next polygraph session. 

Wow and OMG. That's one of the most intelligent things I've ever read you say on this web board, and very true. It is almost impossible to suppress reactions on the polygraph and that is why typical countermeasures don't work. When a polygrapher sees strong reactions on a relevant question, despite any amplified response you might be able to produce on a comparison question, it is a red flag. Then all the polygrapher has to do is look at the now widely known signs of countermeasures on the comparisons. Not easy to explain to someone who isn't a polygrapher, but trust me it's not that hard.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 3:55am
Polypro Pauline wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 2:59am:
Not easy to explain to someone who isn't a polygrapher, but trust me it's not that hard. 

Try me.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:58pm
Quote:
Wow and OMG. That's one of the most intelligent things I've ever read you say on this web board, and very true. It is almost impossible to suppress reactions on the polygraph and that is why typical countermeasures don't work.

The problem with that logic is that employing CM do not even entail suppressing physiological  reactions, though many people, including polygraph operators, mistakenly think they do.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Took a poly and inconclusive = fail and have some questions.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X