Normal Topic Questions on my experience years ago... (Read 4398 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box confused_mind
New User

Questions on my experience years ago...
Aug 7th, 2009 at 12:28pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello all, I took a polygraph about three years ago for an internship while I was in college and was told I had failed. It has bothered me ever since, so I had some questions.

I'd like to make a few things clear first...

1. I am not on here looking for tactics on how to beat the polygraph, countermeasures show a lack of integrity if you ask me.

2. I am looking for some honest feedback

The agency that I took the polygraph with will remain unamed, it was not a federal agency. Basically I was told the last process was to take a polygraph and I thought not big deal, I had nothing to hide so this should be simple. 

I went in and did the whole pre-interview, etc... discussed things in my past that I had done, some of which I am not so proud of but we have all been there. I fully admit to have been in the presence of marijuana at some events during college mainly. However, I have never tried a drug in my life...marijuana included, not even one experimental time. I pride myself on this, as a lot of people cannot say that.

So basically after the test, I get called back in the room and told that I had reacted on the question dealing with drug usage. I was in disbelief, there was no way this could be possible. The examiner asked me to think of something that could have caused the reaction. He made suggestions like maybe I tried it once but didn't inhale or simulated usage. I told the examiner absolutely not, that I had neve used drugs or even acted like I had used them. 

This basically put us at a stand still and I was told that there was something there because if I had disclosed, there would be no reaction. So the day ended and I was told when I left there were no problems except the drug question, 11 days later I had found out that I failed.

This has been the most embarrassing thing in my whole life, I have tore my background up from top to bottom trying to think or find something that I could have left out and there is nothing in regards to this question. I never did contest the results because I was in disbelief and didn't realize it was crucial to do so.

With that being said, I have recently started to hit the job front and I am looking at law enforcement jobs that require either a CVSA or polygraph.

The questions I have are as follows...

1. How bad is this failed polygraph going to hurt as an applicant with an agency that requires one? (I know that it will have to be disclosed)

2. Am I setting myself up for failure since I have already been labeled a liar once?

3. What could have caused the reaction? To this day I still have no answers, I have never used any illegal drug of any kind. It not only insults my integrity but my character to tell me I have and that hurts me the most.

Sorry for the length of this thread, this is something that has bothered me ever since I was told I failed a question on drug usage. I've been searching for answers ever since and I honestly can't find any.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Questions on my experience years ago...
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 1:03pm
confused_mind wrote on Aug 7th, 2009 at 12:28pm:
1. How bad is this failed polygraph going to hurt as an applicant with an agency that requires one? (I know that it will have to be disclosed)

I don't think it's possible to quantify that. When a polygrapher asks you about any past experiences with the polygraph, and you disclose that you previously failed a polygraph with regard to the issue of illegal drug use, it's predictably going to create a bias against you in the polygrapher's mind. But how strong a bias, and what it's ultimate impact might be, cannot be foretold.

Quote:
2. Am I setting myself up for failure since I have already been labeled a liar once?

I think you may well be, if you go in for yet another polygraph session without first educating yourself about polygraph procedure and that which can be done to protect oneself against the risk of yet another false positive outcome. See The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF), especially Chapters 3 & 4, for more in this regard.

Quote:
3. What could have caused the reaction? To this day I still have no answers, I have never used any illegal drug of any kind. It not only insults my integrity but my character to tell me I have and that hurts me the most.

If you don't know, how could anyone else? I fully agree that being falsely accused of using illegal drugs based on nothing more than a polygraph chartgazer's say-so is an insult. Because of this, you are probably now sensitized to the drug question, and it wouldn't be surprising if you were now to react when asked about illegal drug use simply because of your past experience of being falsely accused by a polygrapher.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 5:17pm
Thanks for the feedback. I wish there was a way to start with a clean slate and not have to worry about that past test. Is the best way to about things just to tell them about the test, then I assume they contact that agency? Then you take the polygraph with the other agency and just let the chips fall where they may?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 5:55pm
Whether or not to disclose your past polygraph experience is an ethical choice that I'm afraid I cannot help you make.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 6:13pm
There is no questions asked that I would disclose it, I was just trying to ask if the best course is to disclose right at the beginning of the application process or when you do the pre-polygraph interview.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 7:21pm
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't mention your past polygraph experience unless and until asked.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Indiana73
User

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 12:34pm
Sounds like my experience with the FBI a few years ago, and I have never used illegal drugs in my life, rarely drink and don't smoke.  I think what may have set things up for my failure was my admission of some underage drinking at college and being offered hallucinogens when I was visiting Jamaica several years ago.  Don't admit anything not asked.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 2:07am
Well like I said in the original post, I've done things that we all expect people to do (drink underage, a fight or two in high school, etc...) but never anything major. I always put great pride in the fact I'd never even experimented with marijuana or anything.

It's just such an embarrassment when you are accused of something that is simply not true. Almost like you have a scarlet letter put on you. If you would have told me five years ago that I would not be a police officer at this point in my life, I would have simply called you crazy.

There are some great jobs out there currently that I would like to apply for, but to be honest I am hesitant in doing so because I don't know how the past polygraph would be looked at. I almost feel like I would quite possibly be failed again on the same question...maybe I am being way too dramatic...who knows.

IP Logged

Questions on my experience years ago...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X