Normal Topic Just got a letter (Read 5294 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xpj5004
New User

Just got a letter
Jul 21st, 2009 at 9:06pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello all,  I just received the "Thanks but no thanks" letter from an agency regarding my future employment.  They cited that the results on my poly were inconclusive.  During the test, I knew that I was not lying, however I could feel my blood pressure and heart rates rising.  The person administering the test even offered my a glass of water because he said that it looked like I was going to pass out.  I wasn't lying, and the things that I needed to disclose to him/her, I had already disclosed during the question and answer session right before the test.  I felt like a piece of crap after it and felt like the test administrator was attempting to convince me that I was lying.  I felt really guilty after the test.  After browsing this forum for the past couple days, I realize that I am in the same boat as a lot of the people here.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xpj5004
New User

Re: Just got a letter
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 9:10pm
Also, is it common for the second round of the same question to be asked without you saying an answer, just thinking of one?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LC213
New User

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 4:06pm
That would make no sense to me to think of an answer instead of saying one on so many levels..

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2009 at 3:48am
xpj5004 wrote on Jul 21st, 2009 at 9:10pm:
Also, is it common for the second round of the same question to be asked without you saying an answer, just thinking of one?

This is known as a "Silent Answer Test," and it's sometimes used to catch a polygraph subject off guard when the polygrapher suspects countermeasures may have been used. You'll find it addressed at p. 157 of the 4th edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

For a fuller description, see:

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1064482960

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dfmad1
New User

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 6:23pm
your not alone i just got my letter also there has to be some kind of appeal a person can make ?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nomopolys4me
New User

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 12:39am
Right, so they couldn't decide if you were telling the truth or lying, so you don't get the job.  It is such a piece of crap system.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Indiana73
User

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 12:04pm
Quote:
your not alone i just got my letter also there has to be some kind of appeal a person can make ?

If it was for a security clearance, then yes:

EXECUTIVE ORDER #12968

ACCESS TO CLASSIFIED INFORMATION

(a) Applicants and employees who are determined to not meet the standards for access to classified information established in section 3.1 of this order shall be: 

(1) provided as comprehensive and detailed a written explanation of the basis for that conclusion as the national security interests of the United States and other applicable law permit; 
(2) provided within 30 days, upon request and to the extent the documents would be provided if requested under the Freedom of Information Act (5 U.S.C. 552) or the Privacy Act (3 U.S.C. 552a), as applicable, any documents, records, and reports upon which a denial or revocation is based; 

(3) informed of their right to be represented by counsel or other representative at their own expense; to request any documents, records, and reports as described in section 5.2(a)(2) upon which a denial or revocation is based; and to request the entire investigative file, as permitted by the national security and other applicable law, which, if requested, shall be promptly provided prior to the time set for a written reply; 

(4) provided a reasonable opportunity to reply in writing to, and to request a review of, the determination; 

(5) provided written notice of and reasons for the results of the review, the identity of the deciding authority, and written notice of the right to appeal; 

(6) provided an opportunity to appeal in writing to a high level panel, appointed by the agency head, which shall be comprised of at least three members, two of whom shall be selected from outside the security field. Decisions of the panel shall be in writing, and final except as provided in subsection (b) of this section; and 

(7) provided an opportunity to appear personally and to present relevant documents, materials, and information at some point in the process before an adjudicative or other authority, other than the investigating entity, as determined by the agency head. A written summary or recording of such appearance shall be made part of the applicant's or employee's security record, unless such appearance occurs in the presence of the appeals panel described in subsection (a)(6) of this section. 

You have to do research to determine who is in control of FOIA requests for the specific agency and write a formal request letter.  Here is some of mine I submitted after a failed agency poly 3 years ago:

David M. Hardy, Chief
Record/Information Dissemination Section
Records Management Division
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Department of Justice
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20535-0001

January 16, 2007                                                

Dear Mr. Hardy,                                    

My name is <snip>.  On <snip>, I underwent a polygraph examination at the <snip> Field Office of the FBI as part of my application for the position of <snip>.  Subsequently I was denied a security clearance due to a determination of  “deception indicated."  Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, the Privacy Act of 1974 and Executive Order 12968, I am requesting a copy of this report and any other documents, records, and reports upon which my denial was based.  I have enclosed a signed copy of DOJ Form 361, Certification of Identity, as required.  Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

IP Logged

Just got a letter

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X