Normal Topic Good Story (Read 3013 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LC213
New User

Good Story
May 31st, 2009 at 7:25am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Prior to these tests I didn't know about this site.  You'll find out why I found the site at the end.

Took my first polygraph 3 weeks ago for a Law Enforcement Agency Pre-employment (Agency A) - Polygraph operator said that I was "off the charts deceptive" on one question and asked me when the last time I had used drugs was (the last time being 2004, and exactly what I had told them all along).  He said ok and sent me on my way.  I thought it was weird he didn't tell me whether I passed or failed the entire test but ok.

Second Polygraph, this time for agency B  2 weeks ago - Different location, different independent company.  Passed with no problems.

Third Polygraph last week, agency A again as a specific test for drug use.  End of the test he immediately accuses me of countermeasures including stopping my breathing and artificially inflating my blood pressure.  I'm dumbfounded at this point because I stopped my breathing while I was saying yes or no and I'm still not totally sure how to artificially inflate your blood pressure.

So, how do you pass one in the midst of failing 2?  I'm pretty sure that flipping a coin is a better way of doing this since at least they can take all of the potential candidates for the job and flip a coin for each of them before they put several days worth of work into applying only to be told that they're lying when they aren't.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Good Story
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2009 at 8:01am
Thank you for sharing your story. As you've learned the hard way, polygraphy is highly unreliable. In fact, it is completely without scientific basis. Instead of science, polygraphy depends on trickery on the part of the polygraph operator and ignorance and fear on the part of the person being "tested."

False accusations of deception are common. A statistical analysis (255 kb PDF) by Dr. Alan P. Zelicoff of the best published field studies of polygraphy suggests that, "if a subject fails a polygraph, the probability that she is, in fact, being deceptive is little more than chance alone; that is, one could flip a coin and get virtually the same result for a positive test based on the published data."

As polygrapher paranoia grows over the public availability of information on polygraph procedure and countermeasures, accusations of countermeasure use seem to be growing. AntiPolygraph.org has received numerous reports of such false accusations. (Incidentally, I, too, was falsely accused of using polygraph countermeasures at a time when I had no idea what they were.)

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LC213
New User

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2009 at 8:15am
My initial conclusion after talking with my wife (who knows I'm telling the truth) and my family is that the first test was a false positive and the 3rd test (the first and 3rd were done by the same operator while the second was an operator who had nothing but bad things to say about the company that I took the other polygraphs at) in which they accused me of countermeasures was just the result of someone not wanting to admit that they were mistaken the first time.  After all if a failure followed by a passing test happens very often I would believe the operators credibility would be in question and more than likely the department would stop using him.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2009 at 8:19am
An astute observation. The polygrapher doing your 3rd polygraph had every incentive to "fail" you on the "re-test" (thus "confirming" his original conclusion) and none to "pass" you.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Shigatsu
New User

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 2:56am
Why would anyone expect the polygrapher to think you might pass when he already failed you the first time? Seems they gave you an extra chance that they did not have to give you and you still failed. At least you got a second chance which is more than many people get.

Never never doubt what nobody is sure about.

-Willie Wonka

IP Logged

Good Story

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X