Normal Topic My bad poly experiance. (Read 2008 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JO_USMC
New User

My bad poly experiance.
May 27th, 2009 at 12:30am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I want to clear the air and say up front, that I do not have anything against the people that administer polygraph test.

I have take 5 poly's for multiple diff LE departments, and have passed 4 of the 5. After finding the website and reading what other people have experianced, I now feel I have a better understanding of why I "failed" the last one. 

I already had a bad feeling about this one when they schduled my appointment at a site over an hour away from my house at 7:30 am, when I know for a fact that there were 6 sites within 30 mins of my house, and 2 of those 6 were in a 15 min round trip.  I only own a motorcycle, and the test was the first week of February.  I had to leave my house at approx. 5:45am to get to the court house/test site around 7:10-7:15am. Now mind you, I just rode over an hour on a bike, I was cold as hell, and still a little tired. So whats the first problem I encounter? The officer at the court house doesn't want to let me into the building because the don't start letting people in for court hearings until after 7:45am. After explaining to him I was there for a poly and showing him my appt letter, I finally made it into the office at about 7:25am. Not bad considering my appt was at 7:30am.  I was not even acknowledged until about 7:50am, when an examiner came out and handed me a clipboard and said "fill this out" and walked away into the other office.  As I was about halfway through the first of 5 pages, my examiner came out and introduced herself. She then proceded to tell me I have 2 mins to complete the 5 pages because she has a doctor's appt to get to, and that if she's late or miss it she will be "very pissed off". I was shocked and appalled by the way I was being treated. I had never been treated like this at any of the previous 4 poly's.  So what did I do? I took my sweet time filling out those pages. I did not want to miss anything or change any of the information that I had give prior to that day.  She came to check on me twice. Both times telling me that, "if you don't hurry up you'll have to be reschduled because I will leave without doing your test."  At that point, I was totally ok with her ass leaving. I was actually looking forward to it. But alas she did not leave and she then led me into the exam room.   

Once in the room it was the same old song and dance. She asked what I knew about poly's and if I'd had them before.  This was also different. She would ask a question but then cut me off before I could answer. She also brought up her "Dr. appt" at least 3 more times.  When I told her I had taken and passed 4 other polys, she responded with "that doesn't mean you'll pass this one."

Skipping to the end because the test was pretty basic, she then left for about 15 mins and came back into the room. As we all know the 3 test your take are all the same, but the questions come in different orders. She started to do her little post interrogation on me and was explaining the results of the test.  She told me that I failed 1 question on one test, but passed it on the other 2. I also failed 1 question on all three test. when she told me the 2 questions I "failed" I wanted to bust out laughing. I have no problem sharing the questions with you here. The 1 question I failed 1 of 3 was "Have you done any illegal drugs since 2003?" I will swear on every sacred member of my family that I have not done an illegal drug since 2000. I chose 2003 to make sure I was on "the safe side" as she said. Somehow I still failed once. I also think that was one of the times I yawned. I did have to wake up before 5am after all. The best question of all was the one I failed all 3 times. IT WAS THE FREAKING CONTROL QUESTION!!!  The first question asked was "Do you live in the city of ________?" I responded "yes". WHen asked 3 times I said "yes".  Somehow I magically failed that one.  They supposedly went to my house and talked to my neighbors right? So they should know I live there right? (They never did speak to any of my neighbors, or anyone in my family for that matter, but thats a different forum.)

I couldn't believe it when she told me I failed. There were 2 other questions I was actually scared of, and accordding to her I 100% passed all the other questions with no hint of deception.

Now, remember how she had a Dr appt to get to?  The test didn't get started till about 8:55am even though I was schduled for 7:30am.  Now it was about 10:15am and she just wouldn't stop asking me the same stupid questions in different ways over and over again. I wasn't even hooked to the machine anymore, but she was still interrogating me and probing for more info.  I told her a million times that I was not lying and I had nothing to hide. I said we could do it all over again if she wanted to, but I had nothing to add. She then asked me to write a little something saying that I dispute the test results for the one question I missed on the one test. She never again brought up the fact I failed the "where do you live question". After that she said i was "free to go" exact words, and that I should expect to be schduled for a specific poly in 2 weeks.  Upon hitting the parking lot, I proceded to call almost everyone save in my cell phone to tell them about this crazy ass poly I just took.  We all came to the same conclusion. I had passed, that why she said I should be getting a specific poly later.

3 months later I get a letter in the mail.  This is after I called my BI like 25 times. I had failed the poly and could not reapply for 1 year.

Well, Thats my bad poly experiance in a nut shell.
the other 4 were nothing even remotely close to that. The tester were all nice and polite. The test started when they said they would, and when I was finished I was told good luck and have a great day. I didn't feel like I was being released from custody.

P.S.  I was on the phone in the parking lot for about 2 more hours. I didn't leave the court house until about 2:30pm. My examiner NEVER walked out of the court house. So much for her "Dr. appt" right.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: My bad poly experiance.
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2009 at 1:02am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
You should have called her bluff on the Dr. Appt jazz and insisted that you "reschedule" for another day when she was more "available".  Maybe even call the  recruiter or whomever set up the original appointment with her right there on the spot.

At any rate, it may have been her way of putting pressure on you.  Or maybe she was just an unprofessional bitch.  Who knows.

As for writing down that you dispute the results.  That sounds unusual.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

My bad poly experiance.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X