Normal Topic Tested 3 different times, failed all 3--was truthful on every question (Read 2577 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Disappointed
New User

Tested 3 different times, failed all 3--was truthful on every question
Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have been charged with a crime that happened many years back, but for which there is no statute of limitations.  A critical concern in my case is whether or not I have done it currently, or if I am capable of repeating such a crime.   All would agree that at least outwardly I am a model citizen at present.

I have gone to a psychologist to obtain an assessment of future risk.  To demonstrate the truthfulness of my discussions with him, I volunteered to take a lie detector test in addition to the usual psychological testing.   

I have been to two polygraphers, one of which has extensive experience and has the highest reputation in this part of the country.  He has the latest instrumentation and uses the latest machine scoring.  I was very impressed with his procedures and care in planning and preparing the tests.  In a second session with him, he told me that the program scored me as lying on the relevant question, with 99.8% confindence.  This was my second test with him.  I was tested a total of three times by the two examiners, and I failed all three times.

The nature of the relevant questions is-- "since XXXX year, have you engaged in such-and-such activity?"  And, I answer "no."  From reading on-line this morning, I would say the procedure is CQT.  Control questions were of the sort "In the last six months, have you lied to people in authority to keep out of trouble?", "In the last five years, have you done anything that was illegal?", and "Will you tell the truth in the questions I will ask you today?"  To which I answered No, No, and Yes-- that I would answer truthfully.  After the examiner said I failed the relevant question, I asked how I did on the other questions, and he said he couldn't score those.  After some reading today, I now understand that part of the scoring is an expectation that I will lie on certain control questions, and telling the truth there is a recipe for failure.

There is only one person that knows with certaintly that I was telling the truth (on ALL of the questions)--me.  I was informed yesterday that the psychologist's report was extremely damaging.  Next week, I will see both the polygrapher's report and that of the psychologist, and will discuss the psychologist's report with him.

It's an understatement to say that I am disappointed.  I think that the psychologist is very bright, but I have doubts about being able to convince him that he should reconsider his findings.

/Disappointed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Tested 3 different times, failed all 3--was truthful on every question
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:55pm
Quote:
In a second session with him, he told me that the program scored me as lying on the relevant question, with 99.8% confindence.

Based on  what, other than "hot air"?   

The term "confidence rate" is a statistical term.  What he probably didn't tell is is that whatever rate he gave you is based on whatever input assumptions he fed into the program.  If the assumptions fed in are, like the polygraph itself, not scientifically valid, neither will be the "confidence rate".   

Use of statistics in polygraph chart analysis is an attempt to make a pseudo-science appear more scientific.  The old adage "GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT applies.  I wonder if they were wearing "white lab coats" when making that determination.

Quote:
There is only one person that knows with certaintly that I was telling the truth (on ALL of the questions)--me.

That is something polygraph operators either fail to realize, or realize but REFUSE to admit.

Quote:
I was informed yesterday that the psychologist's report was extremely damaging.  Next week, I will see both the polygrapher's report and that of the psychologist, and will discuss the psychologist's report with him.

You will discuss the shrink's report with whom?

TC
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:13pm by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Disappointed
New User

Re: Tested 3 different times, failed all 3--was truthful on every question
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:48am
Thanks, T.M,

For a little encouragement.

I will be meeting with the psychologist this week, and let him explain the basis for his findings.  As I said, he is an intelligent man.  I know if we have enough time to discuss things that he should see his error.  I will be assessing whether his mind is open, and if we can make progress.

T.M. Cullen wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:55pm:
Quote:
In a second session with him, he told me that the program scored me as lying on the relevant question, with 99.8% confindence.

Based on  what, other than "hot air"?  

The term "confidence rate" is a statistical term.  What he probably didn't tell is is that whatever rate he gave you is based on whatever input assumptions he fed into the program.  If the assumptions fed in are, like the polygraph itself, not scientifically valid, neither will be the "confidence rate".  

Use of statistics in polygraph chart analysis is an attempt to make a pseudo-science appear more scientific.  The old adage "GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT applies.  I wonder if they were wearing "white lab coats" when making that determination.

Quote:
There is only one person that knows with certaintly that I was telling the truth (on ALL of the questions)--me.

That is something polygraph operators either fail to realize, or realize but REFUSE to admit.

Quote:
I was informed yesterday that the psychologist's report was extremely damaging.  Next week, I will see both the polygrapher's report and that of the psychologist, and will discuss the psychologist's report with him.

You will discuss the shrink's report with whom?

TC

IP Logged

Tested 3 different times, failed all 3--was truthful on every question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X