Normal Topic FAILED "STATEMENT TEST" (Read 2092 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MIKEDOG
New User

FAILED "STATEMENT TEST"
Mar 7th, 2009 at 3:31am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took an "infidelity statement polygraph" today and failed.   

The examiner asked my wife to ask up to ten questions and I would have to create a statement based on each question. I told my wife prior to the test that I was uncomfortable taking the test in this way. And that I would prefer a specific test regarding infidelity. After talking with her, she gave me the guilt trip on taking it...so I did. 

I was asked during the test, which was in my home by the way. A question that really confused me, the examiner asked "Have you ever lied to get something" and I told the truth I said yes. Then he told me that I answered the question wrong. And asked me would people consider me a liar and I said no. He then instructed me to answer no the next time he asked this question. 

Then he asked me if I intended on lying about anything on my statement and I said no. Then he asked if I wanted to mislead him about my answers on the statement. 

I took a total of three tests, the 1st he said was unusable to to answering the questions the way I had. On that test I scored 0-+1
The second and third tests I took I was all confused about the questions he told me to change my answer on that I was all screwed up, I ended up -8 on both the second and third tests. I thought that I would do better on the 2nd and 3rd tests because I was more comfortable. But that was not the case at all. 

The worse thing about this test is that he can’t tell me or my wife which question I "LIED" about but just something in the statement made me uneasy. WOW, what the hell good is the test if it can’t tell you what you lied about or in my case that I didn’t lie at all! 

I tried to explain all this crap to my wife, but needless to say she wasn’t buying any of it! I asked to be retested, and will get that chance in a couple days. This time we are doing a different type of test, with fewer questions all on the same topic.  I hope that telling the truth is good enough here. 

I have a question hopefully someone can answer it. When I think off the questions (that I am not lying about) my heart drops immediately.  I am not lying about the answer but I cannot control my heart, is this creating the false positive? Is there anything I can do about that? I have so much riding on this I just cant help my natural reactions to the question! 

Please help!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: FAILED "STATEMENT TEST"
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:09am
Quote:
I was asked during the test, which was in my home by the way. A question that really confused me, the examiner asked "Have you ever lied to get something" and I told the truth I said yes. Then he told me that I answered the question wrong. And asked me would people consider me a liar and I said no. He then instructed me to answer no the next time he asked this question.

That was a "control" question.  They want you to lie when asked a control question.  They then compare you reaction to the control to any reaction on a "relevant" question.  If your reaction is greater to a relevant question than to the control, they conclude you are lying.

This of course, is ridiculous and has no scientific validity.

Quote:
WOW, what the hell good is the test if it can’t tell you what you lied about or in my case that I didn’t lie at all!

How much did you pay the joker?  I have a magic parrot that can tell if someone is lying.  If they lie, he goes "AHHHH!  LIAR!" and ruffles the feathers on the top of his head. When somebody tells the truth, he remains silent.  I'd have rented him out fto you for half what you paid the polygraph guy!

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:11am
Mikedog,

Polygraph "testing" has no scientific basis. It's thoroughly discredited junk science. Trying to figure out why you failed this invalid test is kind of like trying to figure out why a coin toss came out tails instead of heads. If your wife trusts the lie detector more than she trusts you, then perhaps you should be looking for a good divorce lawyer.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 9:08am
Mikedog

My wife and I have been married for nearly 56 years and if she asked me to take an infidelity poly or any other kind for that matter, I would very quickly tell her KISS MY ASS.

IP Logged

FAILED "STATEMENT TEST"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X