Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Polygraph (Read 16372 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Re: Polygraph
Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 2:30am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Mr Maschke

Whether or not polygraph is a psuedoscientific fraud is a seperate question.  Regardless of what the applicant believes about polygraph, if he or she pretends to cooperate while knowingly obstructing or circumventing the departments hiring process he or she is cheating.  And I can't believe that either you or Mr Cullen really believes that is the proper way to began a career in law enforcement.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 2:48am
T Quote:
he applicant is not cheating me, I'm only the polygraph examiner.  They ARE  cheating the department, the other applicants, and the public they say they seek to serve.

I'll try one more time.  If the applicant answers the relevant questions TRUTHFULLY, how is that "cheating"?   Oh, I see you've changed your wording, how is that "circumventing" the process.  The goal is for the applicant to answer the questions truthfully, isn't it?   

Do you consider an applicant who does NOT believe tin the machine's ability to dectect decpetion (let's suppose your testing Dr. Zimbardo for the position of the CIA's head of psych) "circumventing" the process or being "uncooperative"?   Actually, it probably is.  But that is not the same as "cheating" to use your original wording.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #17 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 3:00am
Quote:
TMC and George.  It looks like you're saying that it is ok to lie or cheat as long as YOU think its OK.

I try asking you.  If an applicant fills out ALL relevant information on their application truthfully and fully, and RUTHFULLY answers all relevant questions on the polygraph, is that "cheating"?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BBuxton

Reply #18 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 3:02am
TMC How is trying to change the lines on the lie detector paper or puckering your butt the make the needles jump, to make it look like you aren't lying on any of the questions when you are lying NOT CHEATING?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #19 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 3:05am
I agree, using countermeasures IS cheating.

Is it honest for a polygraph operator to repeatedly tell the applicant that the polygraph machine "detects decpetion", when is doesn't?

My main advice to people has not really focussed that much on using CMs.  Many formats aren't amenable to their use.   

My advice has been for people to realize that the polygraph IS NOT a test for the truth.  The machine DOES NOT detect lies.  When examiners say that it does, they are actually lying.  The test is based on a lie.  And it is important for the polygrapher to get the applicant to BELIEVE THAT LIE.

The polygraph is a cleverly disguised interrogation.  Disguised as a scientific test people overwhelmingly believe in due to the "pop" culture.  So, when an applicant is told, to their utter amazement that the machine has "indicated" they are lying, when they are actually being truthful, they end up believing THE MACHINE, not themselves.  This is just the OPPOSITE of what they should be doing. 

Of course, judging by the behavior of four different polygraph operators I dealt with at the NSA, and the attitude of polygraphers posting on this board, it would NOT be advisable to question the validity of the polygraph WHEN BEING EXAMINED.  That would be (i,e, telling the examiner what they really think of the process) more calculated to PISS OFF the thin skinned polygrapher who would them be predisposed to FAIL them.  For being honest with them.  So I my advice is:

1.  Answer relevant questions HONESTLY  and forthrightly, and stick to your answer.

2.  Don't let the examiner convince you your are lying, and must be some big time drug dealer working for Al Qaeda, based on a bunch of stupid scratch marks on the chart.  That would be just plain silly! All to common, but silly.

3.  Don't get into an argument, and become confrontative over the validity of the polygraph,  You'll just piss off the examiner. 

4.  Let the examiner "huff and puff", call you a liar, whatever, just don't cave in and start playing their game by speculating about why the "chicken scratches" on the chart are zigging when they should of been "zagging".  The chart is BS anyway.  Just realize that is the interrogative technique they employ.  Don't fall for it.

That has been my advice, is that "cheating"?

TC

P.S.  As for criminal police polygraphs.  Same advice.  Don't even taken them.  The DA/police is just trying to take the opportunity to interrogate you under duress, without legal representation, when they have only a weak case against you.  In these cases, however, you can end up in freaking jail, not just being declined for employment!   Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2009 at 3:37am by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:02am
T.M. Cullen wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 3:05am:
I agree, using countermeasures IS cheating.

If you agree, then do you think it is moral or ethical to teach or encourage their use?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #21 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:38am
pailryder wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 2:30am:
Mr Maschke

Whether or not polygraph is a psuedoscientific fraud is a seperate question....

There is no question but that polygraphy is a pseudoscientific fraud. And I think any objective person will readily understand that any ethical consideration of polygraph countermeasures must necessarily involve the (well-settled) question of polygraphy's (lack of) scientific underpinnings.

For relevant discussion of the ethical considerations associated with making countermeasure information publicly available, see the discussion thread, A Response to Paul M. Menges.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bbuxton

Reply #22 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 4:44pm
I think that based on his comment gmc's response may be more relevant than your previos views on this subject 

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #23 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 6:32pm
Yes.  I think cheating a conman who is trying to chdat you is not unethical, but self protection.

Is it ethical to maintain that the polygraph can detect lies, and is scientifically valid, when it is not, moral and ethical?

Is it ethical for a polygraph operator to tell an examinee that George is working for Iran with no evidence, during a polygraph pretest interview?  George, do you still have that tape?

Polygraphers, or anyone who perpetrates a fraud, are not in a very good position to make moral judgements of others, methinks. 

TC
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2009 at 6:49pm by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #24 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 6:39pm
Quote:
There is no question but that polygraphy is a pseudoscientific fraud. And I think any objective person will readily understand that any ethical consideration of polygraph countermeasures must necessarily involve the (well-settled) question of polygraphy's (lack of) scientific underpinnings.

And comparing a polygraph to a bar exam, FAA licensing exam, or medical board exam is absurd on many levels.  For one thing, those tests actually measure what they purport to measure (medical, legal and aviation knowledge).  The polygraph does not actually measure deception, though it is presented in that fashion.  Which does make it a fraud.

They just don't like the fact that you've exposed their fraud.  

And I'd STILL like to know what they do behind those blasted one-way mirrors!   Shocked

TC
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:08pm by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #25 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:10pm
Mr Cullen

When a person seeks employment with an agency that enforces our laws, that person should comply with all legal requirments for employment with the agency they have chosen.  If they cannot comply they should seek another employer.  You recommended countermeasures to Seahawks, and I don't have a problem with that, you have the right to help him cheat.  Just be honest about it.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:46am
TMC OK so you think that countermeasures is cheating, but that cheating is OK, but what about the question I asked before??

Quote:
If I fill out a police application and lie about a previous job that should have abolutely no effect on my ability to be a cop, should they be able to fire me if they find out.

Isn't fudging on your application just another countermeasure to keep the FBI from drawing a bad impression from a boss who never liked you anyway?  I mean what business is it of theirs that I was fired from a job I held for 3 years because the boss found out I had slept with his wife.

What about someone who is trying to infiltrate law enforcement for criminal reasons.Do you think it is OK/Ethical for them to use these countermeasures to monkey with the lie detctor to create a false negative?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #27 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:52am
BBuxton,

Howse about answering some of my questions for a change.

quid pro quo  Dr. lecter!

TC

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #28 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 4:56am
pailryder wrote on Feb 17th, 2009 at 9:10pm:
Mr Cullen

When a person seeks employment with an agency that enforces our laws, that person should comply with all legal requirments for employment with the agency they have chosen.  If they cannot comply they should seek another employer.  You recommended countermeasures to Seahawks, and I don't have a problem with that, you have the right to help him cheat.  Just be honest about it.

The problem, as I see it, is that polygraph examiners consider an examinee’s thoughts to be something within their (the examiners’) span of control.

I have written many times on this board that I do not consider it a breach of ethics if an examinee answers all questions truthfully and then recites poetry or does math problems in his head.  Other examiners have told me that they consider such behavior to be “purposeful non-cooperation” and that they would fail a candidate who behaved thusly.

A police applicant who tells the truth, does not withhold any information, and cooperates with every phase of the application process is behaving ethically.  If, during the polygraph exam, he answers truthfully and then chooses not to dwell on the question because he believes that by doing so he will become the victim of a false positive, he is still doing nothing wrong.  A person’s thoughts are their own.

There really is no logical way to counter such a plan, so polygraph supporters claim that anything you think that might thwart their test is unethical.  I think that is simply nonsense, and I think most polygraph examiners are fully aware that it is nonsense.  A truthful applicant would really have no reason to dwell on each truthful answer, but ironically enough, the examiner has no way to determine if the examinee is answering truthfully and relaxing because they have nothing to hide, or is answering deceptively and then forcing himself to relax to cover his lies.

Now, if only there was some way of determining if the examinee was telling the truth or not...

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 11:15am
TMC  OK youre right fair is fair. I'll try to answer some of them as best I can.

"I try asking you.  If an applicant fills out ALL relevant information on their application truthfully and fully, and RUTHFULLY answers all relevant questions on the polygraph, is that "cheating"? "

answer      Your question seems to say that some of the questions on a lie detector test don't have any bearing on the process. Why ask them if they don't do anything? I thought all the questions were part of the test or relevant and if an examinee answers all questions truthfully to the best of his ability, and follows instructions, and doesn't try to alter the results by countermeasuring, he would not be cheating

"Is it honest for a polygraph operator to repeatedly tell the applicant that the polygraph machine "detects decpetion", when is doesn't?"

answer  If the polygraph machine does not detect deception, then it would not be honest for a polygraph operator to say that it does. 

"Is it ethical to maintain that the polygraph can detect lies, and is scientifically valid, when it is not, moral and ethical?"

answer    If the polygraph cannot detect lies and isn't scientifically valid then I don't think it would be be moral and ethical to maintain that it does. 

"Is it ethical for a polygraph operator to tell an examinee that George is working for Iran with no evidence, during a polygraph pretest interview? "

answer  While I think people are entitled to their beliefs and are entitled to share them with whoever they wish, I think it would be innapropriate for an operator to tell someone that if they didn't have some reason to believe it. 

I tried to answer your questions. The reason I didn't answer them before is that they seemed to depend on me agreeing that polygraph don't detect deception, aren't scientific and that the examinner didn't have any evidence about Iran am I'm not ready to do that yet. 

Is there some problem about the way I worded my question about fudging on a job application?

PS  I think Brian Cox  made the best Dr Lektor

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X