Normal Topic Im being screwed somehow HELP! (Read 7795 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box licorice17
New User

Im being screwed somehow HELP!
Feb 11th, 2009 at 9:27pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A little over a month ago there were some DVD's stolen from work, I have been the most contacted staff by the police, they have shown up at my house unannounced and even recorded me on a tape recorder in my own home without my permission, I was being very cooperative and answering all there questions without argument, now they want me to take a polygraph to "rule me out as a suspect". I have a BIG problem with that. I have always stood against them being that they are highly inaccurate and very tricky little machines, I feel I am being cornered in this investigation, I am innocent and I know I am innocent, I told them to feel free to search my home and they have refused stating that I probably already gave them away or sold them to a pawn shop, then I told them to fingerprint the ones that did return and they refused to do that stating that because I work there my fingerprints have a reason to be on everything in my workplace, then i said but don't you think that If i took them my fingerprints would be EVERYWHERE on them and they had nothing to say to that.  As far as a I know they have not followed up on the pawn shops either, all the pawn shops in this town and around me for that matter require your state ID to sell or pawn, so why don't they look there, now they want me to set up a polygraph and so i have been researching them more and quite frankly I am very frightened by there inaccuracy and other stories I have read on here, I know I have the right to refuse and believe me I AM GOING TO REFUSE, but what I am afraid of is, can I be fired from work for not taking the polygraph? Is it covered under the Employee Polygraph Protection Act when law enforcement is involved? Angry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Im being screwed somehow HELP!
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 9:44pm
Quote:
A little over a month ago there were some DVD's stolen from work, I have been the most contacted staff by the police, they have shown up at my house unannounced and even recorded me on a tape recorder in my own home without my permission, I was being very cooperative and answering all there questions without argument, now they want me to take a polygraph to "rule me out as a suspect".

Get an attorney and have NO FURTHER contact with the police.  Tell them to talk to your attorney.   Unless you have been FORMALLY CHARGED, and since you have already answered their questions. you no longer have to give them the time the day.

"Eliminate you as a suspect"?   Grin   We had a cop post here about a month ago that that is just what they say.  What they are really after is interrogating you under duress WITHOUT AN ATTORNEY PRESENT, in an attempt to force a confession out of you.   

Bottom line, it is in your best interest to:

1.  Contact an attorney.

2.  Have no contact whatsoever with the police until you do.

3.  Realize that the top scientific body in the country came to the conclusion that the polygraph has NO scientific validity, and 95% of what you hear from TV, polygraphers, Police is bullshit!

4.  Realize you are innocent until proven guilty, and that the authorities  have to either "put up" or "shut up".    Charge you, and produce the evidence.  You don't have to "eliminate yourself as a suspect".  That is THEIR JOB!     If they accuse you of being afraid and probably "hiding something",  tell them you are NOW perfectly aware of why they use the polygraph, and that it is not a valid, nor realiable test.   

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:34pm
I ditto what Mr. Cullen said. If they had any evidence on you, you would have already been charged. They are on a fishing expidition and throwing you a dead worm as bate. If you are fired because you refused the poly, you have one hell of a lawsuit against them. Hang tough.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:08am
licorice17 wrote on Feb 11th, 2009 at 9:27pm:
...can I be fired from work for not taking the polygraph? Is it covered under the Employee Polygraph Protection Act when law enforcement is involved?

Assuming that your employer is a private company, then you are almost certainly covered by the protections of the Employee Polygraph Protection Act.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box licorice17
New User

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 9:26pm
UPDATE:
I told the police that I was not going to participate in a polygraph and he was very pissed and asked me why, I told him that the test is not scientifically valid and that I know its used as an interrogation tool and that I was not willing to put myself out there like that, he then said "well if you have nothing to hide and you are innocent then I don't see why you wouldn't want to rule yourself out as a suspect or rule you in for that matter" "well I guess its your choice I will just let the prosecutor decide what to do".  He has now threatened me with a prosecutor! WTF can they convict on circumstantial evidence alone? The circumstantial evidence is that I worked the night before some of the DVD's were found, can he do that?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box No problem

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 10:38pm
Relax. You will not be prosecuted. Do not be intimidated or scared. Presume that the officer is frustrated - they usually are - and potentially on an ego trip (most aren't, but some get that way).

I worked in the system for years - the worst case is that charges are filed and you go to court for dismissal. Taking the poly will not change that now.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 10:45pm
I wouldn't think that the fact you worked the night before was even circumstantial evidence. Tell them to charge you on hard evidence or get the f out of your face. REALLY. If they charge you then you have the right to an appointed attorney because you can't afford one. Remember DON'T talk to anyone of them without an attorney present. And if the attorney suggest you take a poly, tell him/her to get f-d and request another on the grounds of ineffective legal counsel.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 1:48am
Quote:
"well if you have nothing to hide and you are innocent then I don't see why you wouldn't want to rule yourself out as a suspect or rule you in for that matter" "well I guess its your choice I will just let the prosecutor decide what to do".

"Well, Mr. Detective, if you have any good  evidence against me and feel I may have done something, I don't see why Mr. Prosecutor hasn't charged me yet.  If you want to interrogate me, please charge me, and you can do so with my attorney present.  BTW, I was alway under the impression that "eliminating me as a suspect" was your job, not mine. GEE thanks for acknowledging  that it is MY choice whether or not to submit to your bogus "false confession" machine you call the polygraph.  Maybe we can meet with  Sylvia Browne if she's available?   Where is the nearest Dunkin Doughnuts?"

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JC

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 1:59am
Based on my experience, my advice to you licorice17 is to start talking to an attorney now.  I have been officially charged for "home invasion - second degree", which is a felony, based off of hearsay.  There is absolutely no actual physical evidence that I was there.  The police report even says the officer tried to get fingerprints and was unsuccessful.  I've been charged based off of someone saying they saw me there, which I was not.  I even have evidence showing that I wasn't anywhere near their place at the time of this supposed break-in.  It was more than two months from the time that this supposedly happened and me getting arraigned.  I was never brought to the police station for questioning or physically arrested (although I was told that getting arraigned is the same as being arrested).   

Hopefully you won't actually need this attorney, but I'd have one lined up just in case you do.  Whatever you do, don't take that polygraph.  I took one a couple of weeks ago in an effort to avoid a trial...and failed.  I was completely honest throughout the whole procedure.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box angel estrada

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:58am
I have a question. I had an item stolen, but it is not so valuable. I have a suspect. A family member was a witness after the crime. I also felt suspicious because the person that did it was surrounding the place and when i asked her questions she bluched and was speechless. Can this be her? when i got details of her the hair color, weight range, and clothes matched. 

so what can i do? Huh

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box angel estrada

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:59am
I have a question. I had an item stolen, but it is not so valuable. I have a suspect. A family member was a witness after the crime. I also felt suspicious because the person that did it was surrounding the place and when i asked her questions she bluched and was speechless. Can this be her? when i got details of her the hair color, weight range, and clothes matched. 

so what can i do? Huh

IP Logged

Im being screwed somehow HELP!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X