Normal Topic FBI Pre-employment Appeal/Retest (Read 4901 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box johmarky
New User

FBI Pre-employment Appeal/Retest
Jan 13th, 2009 at 1:33am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I failed my pre-emplyment polygraph with the FBI a few years ago and am planning on writing a letter of appeal to receive another. I know that there have been some board members who have given advice on what to include in the letter (in particular Bill Crider). Does anybody have any advice what to include? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: FBI Pre-employment Appeal/Retest
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 4:40am
It is pretty well known that the FBI hardly ever, if ever at all, passes applicants on a polygraph retest.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:59am
Dear johmarkey,

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than of being found acceptable on an FBI polygraph retest when you were found "to not be within acceptable parameters."

It is and always has been a numbers game.

The FBI will probably get over 1,000,000 on line applications for 3,000 positions this year.  Yes, that breaks down to 0.3% of all applicants will be accepted.  They can afford to flush down the tubes anyone they want and not care about how it affects them.  That is like filling a football stadium with 50,000 people and picking 125 people for a job.  Do you really think they want to deal with you?

Until they cannot get enough applicants and employees, they will continue to push through the same flawed policies that keep them in power.  They have it and you don't.

They just do not care about the damage that occurs because of the flawed polygraph.  It does not affect them.  Collateral damage happens.  As long as it does not happen to them, it is the price of doing business.

Sorry to sound negative but it is the truth.

Regards

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 4:49am
In My case, I wrote that I was able to determine the "control" and "relevant" questions due to my research and the fear of failure caused the reaction. I believe this to be an accurate assesment of my failure to this day.

there is no difference in physical reaction from someone lying, a teenager about to ask a girl on a date or someone stepping up to give a speech. sweaty palms, increased pulse, altered breathing pattern........

Just write a respectful letter with your best assesment of why you think you failed. As long as you didn't admit to something because you actually were lying you probably have a shot. as Fair Chance wrote, I have never heard of anyone on this board passing a retest though in the 4+ yrs I have been on it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 6:38am
Quote:
there is no difference in physical reaction from someone lying, a teenager about to ask a girl on a date or someone stepping up to give a speech. sweaty palms, increased pulse, altered breathing pattern........

And one could reasonably be expected to "react" to a given question, when they have been repeatedly accused of lying on it DESPITE ANSWERING TRUTHFULLY.

They call it "fight of flight" for a reason.  Of course your nerves are going to reacted "defensively" in such a situation/

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

FBI Pre-employment Appeal/Retest

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X