Normal Topic So, if I admit to nothing, even if it's true, I pass? (Read 3792 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John85

So, if I admit to nothing, even if it's true, I pass?
Jan 1st, 2009 at 8:34am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm thinking about applying to the NSA. I heard they asked you goofy questions about if you masturbate thinking about your aunt or something, so I googled "NSA hiring process" and got to this site.

I read here that the polygraphers from the big federal agencies think of an admission as a 'trophy'. If I just say not to everything, and don't buckle when they start interrogating me, am I liker to pass?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: So, if I admit to nothing, even if it's true, I pass?
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 9:04am
While you're more likely to pass if you don't make any but the most innocuous of admissions, making no admissions is no guarantee that you will pass. Polygraphy has no scientific basis and is inherently biased against the truthful. Many truthful applicants for positions of public trust are falsely accused of deception and wrongly disqualified from employment based on polygraph chart readings alone, without any disqualifying admission having been made. For more on polygraph screening, see The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF). For more on the NSA hiring process, see the pseudonymous Ralph J. Perro's article, "Interviewing With an Intelligence Agency (or, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Fort Meade)":

http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/nsa-interview.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box John85

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 9:19am
ah, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Ironically, before becoming interesting in the NSA process and this site, I was under the impression that polygraphs were accurate.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 9:50pm
Quote:
ah, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Ironically, before becoming interesting in the NSA process and this site, I was under the impression that polygraphs were accurate.  Roll Eyes

The polygraph itself is accurate.  It accurately records heart rate, blood pressure, respiration rate and sweating.  It is the analysis of these recordings, and corrolating them with the questions asked, and the responses given, that is the problem.  Too many variables to be scientifically reliable.  Good luck, don't admit to anything you wouldn't want your grandma to know about you.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2009 at 6:57am
I was polygraphed there in 2000.  I went in all gullible and wanted to bend over backwards cooperate.  That is NOT the way you want to be.  You want to go in suspicious of the process, but NOT confrontational.  And never, ever criticize the polygraph to the examiner/interrogator.  They would be less offended if you called their grandma and old whore!

You might also want to read some of the posts on this board made by polygraph operators to see what they are pompous asses they really are.  "Sancho Panza", "Mr. Sackett" and "TheNoLieGuy4U" would be a good place to start.  You need to know the "mindset" you would be up against.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

So, if I admit to nothing, even if it's true, I pass?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X