Normal Topic What type of poly did I take? (Read 1768 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tex25
New User

What type of poly did I take?
Dec 31st, 2008 at 12:44am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
2 months ago I took a poly for a government job.

The questions asked were:

Is your name XXXX? - YES
Is this the year 2007? - NO
Are we in the city of XX? - NO
Were you born in XX? YES

Relevant Questions:
Have you committed major crimes?
Have you done drugs in the last 5 years?
Did you lie on your security form?

Am I right in concluding that the first set of questions were not direct lie or probable lie questions? What were they and exactly what type of test was it? They don't seem to fit the bill as 'control questions'.  Thus are the countermeasures that are so widely discussed (mental math, tongue biting, exciting thoughts, and breathing manipulation) not applicable in this instance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: What type of poly did I take?
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 5:57am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If those were the only questions on your polygraph, in might have been what I believe they call an RCT (relevant control test).  In this case, the relevant questions also serve as controls.  IOW, if you react more to one particular relevant question, vis a vis the other RELEVANT questions, they assume you are being deceptive and start probing that area.  The test I took at the NSA in 2000 was like that. 

Don't employ CMs in that case.  Just don't volunteer any info if and when they claim you are being deceptive on one of the relevants when you aren't.  Scratch your head, look perplexed, and just tell them you're telling the truth and can't understand why you'd be showing deception.  Be respectful and appear cooperative, but MAKE NO STATEMENTS that could in anyway be misconstrued as self-incriminating (eg. "No, i haven't taken drugs, but there was a party I went to where pot was smoked.  Maybe I got 2nd hand smoke." or "I  had a dream once that I raped a woman"..etc. ).  Don't even go there!

Don't play their game.  Think of them as fiction writers looking for ideas for a good plot.  And guess what, they want to make YOU their main character!  Lips Sealed

On the brighter side, you may not "react" at all.  Either way, don't worry.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

What type of poly did I take?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X