Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) San Diego Police Department Polygraph = HORRIBLE Experience (Read 52134 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I didnt lie
New User

San Diego Police Department Polygraph = HORRIBLE Experience
Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well I took a polygraph for the SDPD yesturday and it was the worst experience ever.  I went into it a little nervous just because it was a polygraph but I figured I would just tell the truth and I'd be alright.  I actually believed in the science and that lie detectors worked because if they didn’t why would so many places use them right?  So I took the test and what do ya know im a child molester.  Who knew?  I sure didn’t.  I also reacted to some other sexual questions but when he asked if I had ever engaged in a sexual act with a child I reacted a lot apparently.  It’s completely wrong.  Maybe it was because I considered the sexual questions ridicules like sex with dead people and such.  I think when I was asked the child question I was disgusted and angry about it because I thought about something happening to my little brother or something.  For whatever reason this guy pretty much told me his machine said Im a dirt bag child molester and other things.  I felt like having a breakdown.  Im just so depressed about this.  I really wanted the job and im being eliminated for something that can’t be further from the truth.  I didn’t lie about a single thing on that test and it came back as like the worst thing possible.  Maybe it’s just because I was uncomfortable with those questions?  I may have answered and made a facial expression in a way that expressed how ridicules I thought it was.  Still I was drilled about how this machine is accurate and how I was lying and bullshiting him and I was a dirt bag child molester.  I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS.  I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW WRONG THIS MACHINE IS.  Is there anything I can do to help myself now?  Im problem screwed cause any other police department I apply for is going to want to know why I was rejected and they are going to tell them it was because im something im not. 

I AM NOT A CHILD MOLESTOR I DO NOT HUMP DEAD PEOPLE OR ANIMALS.  I TOLD THE TRUTH ABOUT EVERYTHING GOOD AND BAD.  I thought I would be ok because I let everything out.  I was honest.  It came back as something that was so wrong that hurt me because it’s so disgusting to have someone think that of you.  Im so depressed about this.  Is there anything I can do to make this go away?  I don’t want people to think this of me.  THESE TESTS DO NOT WORK AND SOMEONE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE WAY THEY ARE BEING USED.  I cant believe the results of this test.   It couldn’t have been worst.  I would have no problem if I was eliminated by the sdpd for something that was true that I had done or just cause there were better applicants than me.  But this is horrible.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2008 at 2:01pm by I didnt lie »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: San Diego Police Department Polygraph = HORRIBLE Experience
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:44am
I'm very sorry that you've had to learn the hard way (as I did) that polygraphy is junk science. Many law enforcement applicants are falsely accused of deception and wrongly disqualified from employment because of the random error associated with this invalid test. The San Diego Union Tribune reported in 2002 that some 40% of applicants fail the polygraph. Clearly, many, like yourself, are being wrongly branded as liars.

At this point, I would suggest that you write a detailed memorandum of all that transpired during the course of your polygraph examination. Next, you'll want to write a letter to the department contesting your polygrapher's false accusation of deception and demanding that the letter be included if SDPD shares your polygraph results with any other agency.

I think you'll find it therapeutic to educate yourself about polygraphy. It will help you to understand how you could have been completely candid and yet failed the polygraph. See AntiPolygraph.org's free book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF) for a detailed explanation -- and a thorough debunking -- of polygraphy. You might also send this book to any friends, relatives, or co-workers who may question you regarding your polygraph results.

I agree with you that someone needs to do something about the way polygraphs are being used (and abused). But that someone needs to be us. Too often, polygraph victims, fearing retaliation or blacklisting, are cowed into silence. I hope you'll consider working with us to bring about meaningful polygraph reform. Your posting here was a good start. See our Get Involved page for information on other ways you can help.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 12:35pm
I didn't lie,

Take George's suggestion and record a detailed description of your polygraph. Then send a copy to all of your elected congress people with a cover letter telling them to do something about it or you will work toward their removal next election. Even form a group of friends, that believe as you do, and become letter writers. If enough people would do this, we might see some change. The ills of this country lies with our U.S. Congress. It really doesn't matter who is president. Congress makes the laws and the Supreme Court interprits them. A president can only sign or veto them.

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2008 at 6:48pm by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tom Legrady

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 3:27pm
There's a reason why polygraghs are used in the US and nowhere else. 

Let me give you a hint. It isn't because the other countries are backward and unscientific. Everyone else has figured out the tests are meaningless, and most often represent the test supervisor's prejudices or intentional malevolence.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 3:55pm
Quote:
There's a reason why polygraghs are used in the US and nowhere else.  

I wish we Americans were alone in our stupidity when it comes to relying on the pseudoscience of polygraphy for purposes of public safety and national security. But we're not. While no other country relies on polygraphy to the extent that the United States does, the lie detector has also made its way to Canada, Mexico, South Africa, Israel, Russia, China, and India, among other countries.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I didnt lie
New User

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:01pm
So what your saying is i have no options and im screwd.  This sucks.  I didnt lie.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 5:28am
What happened to you is deeply wrong. Unfortunately, the outlook is not good. You can request a retest, which may or may not be granted. But the result of any retest will be colored by your prior polygraph experience.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Laine

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2008 at 7:10pm
I just came across your blog quite by accident.  I, too, had a very unfortunate experience with a SDPD polygraph exam a couple of years ago.   
At the conclusion of the test, the examiner said I failed because was "less than honest" about drug use.   Years prior I had taken a puff of a marijuana joint.  I have NEVER used drugs...yet, based upon their reading of fluctuations in my heart rate, I was disqualified.  It's interesting that SDPD is short staffed...I was applying for a Traffic Controller position I had held several years previously and then quit.
When I reapplied, a polygraph exam was now part of the application process.  After this experience, I now look at polygraph exams as not the best method of screening job applicants.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Amy Brickmen

Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 5:21pm
Hey There,  There was an incident that happened near my house and I had nothing to do with it. The Police Officer in charge asked if I would take a lie Dec. Test. "Absolutely", I said. I have nothing to lie about.. 
Well I wanted to do some research on this test before I really go down and do it....
  Now, with the things I've read, I don't think I want anything to do with this Test at all.. 
  So thanks for sharing your HORRIBLE story. I am sorry that had to happen to you.....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:28pm
ftloo1

So the police interviewed your girlfriend and you and you agreed to take a poly and only after you arrived at the police station you realize that her daughter has accused you of sexual molestation.  That is your story?  What did you think the test would concern?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Administrator

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 6:20am
pailryder wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:28pm:
ftloo1

So the police interviewed your girlfriend and you and you agreed to take a poly and only after you arrived at the police station you realize that her daughter has accused you of sexual molestation.  That is your story?  What did you think the test would concern?

Note that the post to which the above-quoted reply is addressed has been deleted by the original poster.

IP Logged

Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 7:43am
An off-topic reply by "fostermom" has been moved to this topic.

IP Logged

Administrator

Reply #13 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hiding4now

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 6:25am
I'm in the same boat as Amy. A safe was stolen at a gas station in the middle of the day (must not been much of a safe) a year and a half ago, and now they want to polygraph me. I agreed to the test and signed a document saying I would do it. I should have done the research first, but i didn't know what it was about, and certainly wasn't expecting to be asked to do a poly. I was just asked to go to the police station to talk to the officer about something he couldn't divulge over the phone. And I honestly had no clue what it was about. I thought maybe I passed some old fart on the highway, and he didn't like the way I did it so he reported my plate or something like that. Lots of retirees driving around here, doing 60-70 kph on the highway. Oh ya, I am Canadian. The cop had mentioned that there was $3500.00 in the safe. I make that in a month. I'm a Systems Administrator for a medium sized company, I have a nice enough life. I would never even think of doing something like this. Now I'm nervous. On another note, can they ask me questions not in relation to the incident? I break the law a couple times a week, its a law I truly believe should not be a crime. Prohibition is a colossal waste of time and tax payers money. Have we figured out what I'm doing? Any way, can they ask me about that? Or any other off topic subject? I guess I better go talk to a lawyer...... am i boned because i signed that document?

IP Logged

San Diego Police Department Polygraph = HORRIBLE Experience

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X