Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Background check? (Read 20567 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Background check?
Reply #30 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:25am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
SanchoPanza wrote on Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:29pm:

"Some potential alternatives to the polygraph show promise, but none has yet been shown to outperform the polygraph. None shows any promise of supplanting the polygraph for screening purposes in the near term." (NAS Report p. 217)

SanchoPanza

I don’t think the passage you quoted above really has the impact you seem to think it has.

I could pick up a random rock from my backyard and call it an elephant repellant.  Then I could cite the lack of elephants in my backyard as proof my rock works.  I could also accurately claim that no other rock in my backyard has shown it is a more effective elephant repellant than the rock I originally chose, and it is unlikely that my rock will be supplanted as an elephant repellant in the near term.

None of that, of course, means that my original rock does anything useful in the field of elephant-repelling.  

The above-quoted passage does not indicate that the polygraph is an effective method of detecting truth or deception; the passage merely states that no other alternatives to the polygraph have shown they can outperform the polygraph.  It goes on to state that no other alternatives are likely to supplant the polygraph for screening purposes in the near term.

If the authors of the quoted passage believed the polygraph is roughly as accurate as random chance it would be completely accurate for them to write that they haven’t found anything else more accurate, and, because of the polygraph operator’s ability to sometimes elicit a damaging admission during the test, they don’t foresee any of the other random-chance-compatible methods of truth-detection as likely to supplant the polygraph in the near term.

In other words, the passage you cited is hardly an endorsement of the accuracy of the polygraph.  It is simply a statement that they haven’t found anything better.  You may choose to interpret that to mean the polygraph is very good and there isn’t anything better, but I think the majority of people who read the NAS research study would conclude that the authors meant that the polygraph is not very effective and they haven’t found anything else to be very effective, either.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2008 at 7:20am by Sergeant1107 »  

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #31 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 4:27am
Two things you definitely need to be skeptical about:

1.  Atheists quoting the Bible.

2.  Polygraph examiners quoting the NAS Report.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SanchoPanza
Especially Senior User

Reply #32 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:51pm
Another comment from Dr. Maschke's Peanut Gallery.

Notguilty1 is sounding like a fool here comes Mr. Cullen to quote NAS. 
NAS counter-quote, send in Sergeant.
Where's Dr. Maschke with his canned response?

Do you guys all go to the bathroom together too?

I sometimes wonder if you all aren't really the multiple online personalities of some disgruntled guy in the Netherlands.

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GreenEarth
New User

Reply #33 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:29pm
The Peanut Gallery had already been identified...The rest of the world is watching and we are not idiots.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Reply #34 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:41pm
SanchoPanza wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 1:51pm:
Another comment from Dr. Maschke's Peanut Gallery.

Notguilty1 is sounding like a fool here comes Mr. Cullen to quote NAS. 
NAS counter-quote, send in Sergeant.
Where's Dr. Maschke with his canned response?

Do you guys all go to the bathroom together too?

I sometimes wonder if you all aren't really the multiple online personalities of some disgruntled guy in the Netherlands.

Sancho Panza

It is so vital Sancho, for you to diminish our statements and the experiences and information we bring to this issue. 
If I sound like a fool and the others here are the "peanut gallery" then I consider myself in good company if it is opposing the scam you continue poorly to perpetuate. 
What Sarge and TC posted here in their last posts is true but that seems to go over your head so, you dismiss it as foolish and misguided.
I wonder where YOUR "peanut gallery" is? 
I know, .... they are enjoying the fact that most have bought into the idea that Polygraph does detect lies and even know the test by it's better known name "lie detector test".
That of course is a lie in itself but very convenient, for those like you who proclaim the machine to do just that at a accuracy rate of about 95% to boot, when you know none of that is not true.

Sancho, you say that we the "anti's" provide aid and comfort to criminals and enemies of our country. 
I ask you, what do you consider people that perpetuate a lie and allow criminals and enemies of our country ( Gary Ridgeway come to mind as one but certainly not the only that passed a Polygraph) or honest people that would otherwise contribute well to our country but have been denied the opportunity because of a test that has no scientific validity just to further their industry. How is that not giving aid and comfort to the enemies of our country?

You can, if you'd like bunch us all together as one foolish group, that is your right. The message we have is common and growing.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #35 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:41pm
GreenEarth wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 2:29pm:
The Peanut Gallery had already been identified...The rest of the world is watching and we are not idiots.

Thank you Green well said!

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #36 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 6:05pm
Mr. Sancho Sackett,

You are an embarassment to your own profession.   

Unable to argue the facts, you resort to childish name calling.

I can only imagine what games you must play in your polygraph INTERROGATION room with naive, gullible people you probably take advantage of.

Well, your tactics don't work here.  Toto has pulled open the curtain which hides your pseudo-scientific witchcraft!  You have been exposed for all lurkers like Green Earth to see.  And they are NOT IDIOTS!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #37 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 9:32pm
Quote:
It is so vital Sancho, for you to diminish our statements and the experiences and information we bring to this issue.

Notguilty1, Mr. Cullen, Sergeant, and even Dr. Maschke.

Let us not ever forget, according to your own statements,  that your only real experience with polygraph comes from your problems with passing one. With the exception of Dr. Maschke your information is simply regurgitation of things you have read right here or referenced on this site.

Frogs at the bottom of a well see only a small part of the sky. 

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #38 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 11:41pm
SanchoPanza wrote on Sep 23rd, 2008 at 9:32pm:
Quote:

Notguilty1, Mr. Cullen, Sergeant, and even Dr. Maschke.

Let us not ever forget, according to your own statements,  that your only real experience with polygraph comes from your problems with passing one. With the exception of Dr. Maschke your information is simply regurgitation of things you have read right here or referenced on this site.

Frogs at the bottom of a well see only a small part of the sky. 

Sancho Panza

Yep, having been told I failed a Polygraph when I was truthful is ALL the "experience" I need to see there was something wrong, ( call me crazy).
If one falls for the 2 card monte scam on a street corner once and gets taken and then figures out that it was a scam after all does the fact that he was only scammed once belittle the fact he was in fact scammed?
Then, if he goes and researches the scam (and in the case of Polygraph finds that scientists, judges, courts, and many respected people in the science world, not to mention the very police dept. that didn't charge me with a crime all confirm that it is at best unreliable).

That all should be irrelevant because Sancho says so and I should just believe in the 3 card monte scam, after all I cannot really know any thing about it since I have never perpetrated the scam on others. What a joke!!

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #39 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:06am
Notguilty1, I would never call you crazy, because that would be an ad hominum attack and Dr. Mashke only tolerates that from people who agree with him. However, I certainly can't disagree with your self assessment.

Quote:
2 card monte scam

Quote:
3 card monte scam

Which is it?  You don't seem to know any more about monte scams than you do polygraph. 

You forget that scientists, judges, courts, and many respected people in the science world, not to mention police departments use the polygraph every day. Not to mention that Congress commands it certain circumstances.

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #40 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:18am
Quote:
You forget that scientists, judges, courts, and many respected people in the science world, not to mention police departments use the polygraph every day. Not to mention that Congress commands it certain circumstances.

One of the main reasons George Washington died was because doctors "bled" him repeatedly.  That was an acceptable medical practice back then.  You'll probably say, "well, that was then, we now have better medical procedures to use."  But "bleeding" a patient NEVER was a scientifically valid procedure, whether used in the past by doctors or not.

So there is yet another fallacious argument you've made.

Many people in the scientific world?  Not the scientific community in general, and certainly not the NAS in particular.

The courts?  Can you point out a case in which polygraph results contributed to a conviction based SOLEY ON THE CHARTS, and not from information volunteered, or confessions elicited from the guilty party during a polygraphic interrogation?   In cases of the latter, that just proves the polygraph is capable of eliciting confessions, or self-incriminating info, not that the machine actually scientifically DETECTS LIES.

OTOH, the results of DNA testing are accepted in court precisely because IT ACTUALLY IS a scientifically valid test, unlike polygraphy.
TC

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #41 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:11am
Mr Cullen tsk tsk tsk  first off I was responding to a post from notguilty1 in which he stated
Quote:
in the case of Polygraph finds that scientists, judges, courts, and many respected people in the science world, not to mention the very police dept. that didn't charge me with a crime all confirm that it is at best unreliable).

My statement was accurate; Quote:
If you think my statement is incorrect PROVE IT if you have the intelligence, education, ability or literacy just PROVE IT

I am perfectly satisfied that I can come up with sufficient examples to prove its accuracy. The fact that my statement is accurate is further proved by YOU and this board, because if it WASN'T still being used by scientists, judges, courts, and many respected people in the science world, not to mention police departments and being ordered by Congress. You wouldn't be here because you wouldn't have a cause to rant about at all, NOW WOULD YOU

Don't ask me to do your research for you because I used my research time this evening to show you how wrong you are about bloodletting.

You wrote Quote:
One of the main reasons George Washington died was because doctors "bled" him repeatedly.  That was an acceptable medical practice back then.  You'll probably say, "well, that was then, we now have better medical procedures to use."  But "bleeding" a patient NEVER was a scientifically valid procedure, whether used in the past by doctors or not

The first recorded use of medicinal leeches was about 2500 years ago, although there is some evidence that the ancient Egyptians and Aztecs may have used these little blood-sucking creatures to help people that were having medical problems. Back then, leeches were used to remove the “bad blood” from patients that were suffering from things as basic as a headache. 

The practice of “bloodletting”, which is removing blood from the human body, was very common in the mid 1800’s. In fact, the practice of “bloodletting” was so common that in 1833 alone, France imported over 42 million leeches. Other methods of “bloodletting” were also widely used during this time, but none were as efficient, predictable, and painless as the leeches. Leech harvesting also became a very popular and lucrative activity during this time. People would walk around in leech infested waters (leeches live in warm, shallow, sheltered water areas) and then remove the leeches that had attached themselves to their legs and feet. The popularity of “bloodletting” using leeches, however, was soon to end. 

The practice of “bloodletting” lost its popular in the early 1900’s. It was seen as an old and outdated procedure that had no benefit to the patient. By the early 1920’s, the practice of “bloodletting” was almost never used. It was not until the mid 1980’s that we would see the return of these small blood-sucking creatures.

The use of leeches in medicine, otherwise known as Hirudotherapy, made its comeback in the 1980s after years of decline, with the advent of microsurgery such as plastic and reconstructive surgeries. In operations such as these, one of the biggest problems that arises is venous congestion due to inefficient venous drainage. This condition is known as venous insufficiency. If this congestion is not cleared up quickly, the blood will clot and arteries that bring the tissues their necessary nourishment will become plugged and the tissues will die. It is here where the leeches come in handy. After being applied to the required site, they suck the excess blood, reducing the swelling in the tissues and promoting healing by allowing fresh, oxygenated blood to reach the area until normal circulation can be restored. The leeches also secrete an anticoagulant (known as hirudin) that prevents the clotting of the blood.

What happened to George Washington occurred because of a failed attempt to stop the swelling in the president's throat that was inhhibiting his breathing and preventing him from swallowing. A natural aversion to placing leeches on the human body as well as insufficient understanding about why  leeches worked to reduce swelling led to the practice of mechanical venesection. It George Washington's case it was actually a last ditch effort to prevent his suffocation. A tracheotomy was suggested but over ruled. They removed over 8 pints of blood from his body in less than 24 hours and that was never an "acceptable" or common practice.  Basically his doctors knew bloodletting worked, they were just wrong about why and how much. 

Other medical procedures that were once common, fell out of favor, and then returned include the use of maggots in infected wounds and trepanation or the burring of holes in the skull to relieve swelling on the brain caused by the accumulation of fluid. 

So contrary to your opinion, Bloodletting, Trepanation and the use of maggots in infected woulds are ALL THREE, MEDICALLY ACCEPTED,  SCIENTIFICALLY VALID PROCEDURES today. 

It really isn't correct to say that bloodletting NEVER was a scientifically valid procedure, because it is. Not just in the past, Right Now it is

Find a better analogy

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #42 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 3:56am
SanchoPanza wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 1:06am:
Notguilty1, I would never call you crazy, because that would be an ad hominum attack and Dr. Mashke only tolerates that from people who agree with him. However, I certainly can't disagree with your self assessment.

Quote:
2 card monte scam

Quote:
3 card monte scam

Which is it?  You don't seem to know any more about monte scams than you do polygraph. 

Sancho Panza

Spoken like a true con man. It doesn't matter if it is 2 or 3 card in the card scam. When you pick a card, the red card is never there. 
Just like Polygraph, what you think is going on is not and that is how the scammer needs it to be. Glad to see your true to your ilk, Sancho

Polygraph has NEVER resulted in someone's conviction based solely on the charts and not the confession or information gained from the interrogation. Grin

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #43 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:35am
Notguilty1

First the red card is always there and in plain sight, you just can't follow what is happening. You really don't know which is the correct name for the game you are trying to use as an example, do you?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

Second, I defy you to find a criminal case ANYWHERE in the United States where a conviction was obtained based solely on a SINGLE piece of evidence of any kind. Are you really that naive, or are you just conveniently dense?

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #44 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 6:24am
SanchoPanza wrote on Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:35am:
Second, I defy you to find a criminal case ANYWHERE in the United States where a conviction was obtained based solely on a SINGLE piece of evidence of any kind. Are you really that naive, or are you just conveniently dense?

Sancho Panza

In New York: People v. Israel Vasquez.  Vasquez was convicted of 1995 second degree murder despite no eyewitnesses and no forensic evidence.  The sole piece of evidence against him was a hearsay statement, later retracted, by a teenaged woman who claimed she had heard Vasquez claim he'd eaten a sandwich in the victim's kitchen.

The conviction was overturned on appeal in 2007, but you can hardly deny that a conviction was obtained.

It took me all of about ten seconds to find that case.  I'm sure it is not the only conviction in U.S. history based on a sole piece of evidence.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Background check?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X