Normal Topic [Military Intel]NSA and poly (Read 6572 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pigface
New User

[Military Intel]NSA and poly
Jul 13th, 2008 at 11:18pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm currently in the military for an intelligence job (don't want to be any more specific) but I am still in tech school.  I have received the temporary TS-SCI clearance required to enter the school houses on base.  My current orders say I am to be stationed at Ft. Mead Maryland, NSA HQ as my first duty station.  And apparently to work at any NSA field site a polygraph test is required.

I am rather worried about the poly.  I'm a good guy and I have nothing on my written record, but I do have a more shady past than the military knows about.  Drugs in particular, more than the average person I imagine, more than I'd like to admit.  I know the drugs question on the test will be a problem.

My question is this: What happens if I fail?  Horrible things?  Jail time?

In all honesty I'm not sure if I even want to be in the military now that I have had a taste of it.  I hate myself for saying that, and hate myself even more for not being willing to fulfill my contract, but it's how I feel.  I could "slip up" and fail a few tests and have the option to be re-classed or possibly get out completely(so I'm told).  I really doubt I will fail any of the tests as I am doing quite well in the class, so I would need to purposefully do so.

Any information would be much appreciated.  I don't currently have a date set for my poly, but I am still kind of freaking out about it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: [Military Intel]NSA and poly
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 1:52am
Pigface,

Looks like they've got you already, since you are sounding like a scared rabbit!  This is just what they want.

Do yourself a favor, read the following:   

http://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

I guarantee you will (hopefully) be less paranoid after reading the above by actually learning about the game they play on people. 

BTW, I spent 20 years as a military linguist (Chinese) and took the polygraph at NSA in 1995 and 2000.  So I have been through the process. 

Bottom line, know right now that their machine can NOT detect if you are lying.  As one noted psychologist has stated:  ""There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)".  But they will try to convince you otherwise.  Who you gonna believe, a 14 week wonder, or an eminent professor?  A group of the country's top scientific researchers, upon the request of congress, concluded that the  polygraph screening of employees should be stopped because it is so unreliable.

Also, know the difference between a "relevant" question and a "control" question.  Make no admissions whatsoever regarding a relevant question, no matter how insignificant you think it is.  No matter how hard they push, scream, yell, or jump up and down on their desk.  Is just a "bluff" game.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:08am
The purpose of the polygraph, as any intelligent polygrapher with experience knows, is not primarily about detecting deception: it is to deter unwanted behavior and to prompt confessions.  If it does those two things, why worry about whether or not it can detect deception with anything approaching reasonable accuracy?

Antis need to realize this.  Often, we try to discuss accuracy rates with Polis and become bewildered at how unconcerned they are with both anecdotal examples of inaccurate results and statistical evidence of inaccuracy.  But they don't really care about that.  It'd be like trying to convince Picasso that Guernica isn't a very realistic looking painting--he doesn't care, it's a great piece of art.  Likewise, most Polies don't care much about accuracy rates so long as they can deter bad behavior and elicit confessions.

Obviously, the Polygraph failed in your case to deter bad behavior (it's not very well employed to do so in society at large, nor can it be, since that would prompt to much debate on and investigation of the polygraph.  It can only successfully deter behavior within an organization, a police department, government agency, or military branch).  Whether or not it succeeds in eliciting a confession from you it up to you.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bsce711

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 4:58pm
Quit being a baby. EVERYONE goes through a poly at Ft Meade...and the military is not for everyone, but suck it up...you signed the paper and all of the citizens we protect are paying for you to work everyday and get a college education. The poly they give at NSA is NOT a lifestyle. They just wanna make sure you don't want to give info to anyone or try to sabotage any part of NSA mission. RELAX, and get your crap together.

SSgt, USAF
Ft Meade MD

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 5:23pm
Quote:
Quit being a baby. EVERYONE goes through a poly at Ft Meade...and the military is not for everyone, but suck it up...you signed the paper and all of the citizens we protect are paying for you to work everyday and get a college education. The poly they give at NSA is NOT a lifestyle. They just wanna make sure you don't want to give info to anyone or try to sabotage any part of NSA mission. RELAX, and get your crap together.

SSgt, USAF
Ft Meade MD

bsce711,

You're right that everyone at Fort Meade goes through a polygraph. And I think that everyone seeking a position of public trust has an ethical obligation to answer relevant questions truthfully. Pigface's past drug use -- even if admitted -- is not likely to prevent him/her from holding the requisite TS/SCI security clearance, so long as it pre-dates his/her military service.

As you point out, military personnel detailed to NSA are subjected to counterintelligence-scope polygraph examinations rather than the "lifestyle" polygraphs that regular employees face. So pigface in all likelihood won't be polygraphed about his/her past drug use. In fact, virtually all military personnel who don't make damaging admissions pass their CI-scope polygraph examinations. Federal polygraph examiners know that the base rate for espionage is very low, so politically, they cannot afford to fail more than a small number of examinees on counterintelligence issues per year.

But it's worth keeping in mind that polygraph "testing" is junk science. Polygraphy has no scientific basis, is inherently biased against the truthful, and yet is easily thwarted through the use of simple countermeasures.

It is a national disgrace that our government pretends to assess the honesty and integrity of applicants and employees based on this fraudulent procedure. By way of example, see fed-up's recent post:

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1220804779

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 9:45pm
bsce711

Thank you for your service to our country.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:06pm
Quote:
Quit being a baby. EVERYONE goes through a poly at Ft Meade...and the military is not for everyone, but suck it up...you signed the paper and all of the citizens we protect are paying for you to work everyday and get a college education. The poly they give at NSA is NOT a lifestyle. They just wanna make sure you don't want to give info to anyone or try to sabotage any part of NSA mission. RELAX,and get your crap together.

SSgt, USAF
Ft Meade MD

I used to think the same thing.

You'd change your tune  if you failed the test despite telling the truth.  And, as a consequence, lost your access, and worst yet, your colleagues at the fort started thinking (erroneously)  that you were some kind of spy or something.  Then there is your family, friends, neighbors...etc.  All in the name of fake science and bureaucratic efficiency.

Most important is the fact that the intel community relies far to much on the test, mainly for bureaucratic reasons.  As a result, they put our national security at risk.

Check out the following story concerning the Kunia RSOC (my last duty station):

http://www.infosecnews.org/pipermail/isn/2007-December/015670.html

The people involved must have managed to pass their polygraphs.  In fact, some of the biggest spies and criminals in history have passed polygraphs.  While honest, trustworthy people are routinely branded as being just the opposite.  Other than that, it's a pretty good test.

Like George said, most military folks detailed at NSA pass their polygraphs, and most people actually think the test to be accurate.  It is one of those cases where you have to come up "false positive" to really appreciate the truth.   

T.M. Cullen
CTI1  USN(ret)

P.S.  Never criticize a person until you've "walked a mile in his shoes".
That way, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, and YOU'LL HAVE HIS SHOES!!!!!    Cheesy

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:06pm by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polytek
User

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 11:54am
pailryder wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 9:45pm:
bsce711

Thank you for your service to our country.

Pailryder,

Thank you for your appreciation of servicemen.
Now, who's gonna suck up to me ?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 5:32pm
I don't know Cliff, how are things in South Africa?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polytek
User

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 1:09pm
pailryder wrote on Sep 11th, 2008 at 5:32pm:
I don't know Cliff, how are things in South Africa?

I give up Bob, how are they ?

IP Logged

[Military Intel]NSA and poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X