Normal Topic Of Colanders and Lie Detectors (Read 5944 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Of Colanders and Lie Detectors
May 24th, 2008 at 6:47am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A new video is available on AntiPolygraph.org's YouTube channel:

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2008 at 6:24am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Re: Of Colanders and Lie Detectors
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2008 at 10:44pm
George,
That was a great video clip!  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2008 at 5:23am
I agree!  George, you look great with a colander on your head, natural even.  Of course, using a clip from a fake polygraph was well beneath you...

Sackett

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2008 at 5:48am
sackett wrote on May 25th, 2008 at 5:23am:
Of course, using a clip from a fake polygraph was well beneath you...

The scene used to illustrate the polygraph, from the movie Harsh Times, which has been previously discussed on this message board, features a real polygraph instrument with a real polygraph operator (Barry Colvert) behind it. That which is "fake" about the polygraph is the notion that it can detect lies -- a falsehood marketed to the public by those who make a living giving these bogus tests.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2008 at 6:29am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2008 at 2:44pm
A movie is for entertainment; like your clip, entertaining, but hardly accurate.  Just because it features a "real" examiner and instrument does not mean his actions (in the movie) were a proper application of the polygraph process.  It was not accurate.

I suppose you could argue this is petty, I agree, but most of the arguments on this board are petty.  However, in the name of accuracy and truth, it has to be brought to the attention of the readers.

Sackett

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2008 at 3:20pm
sackett wrote on May 25th, 2008 at 2:44pm:
I suppose you could argue this is petty, I agree...

Indeed, Jim. I think you're picking fly shit out of black pepper.

Roll Eyes

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2008 at 3:23pm
George W. Maschke wrote on May 25th, 2008 at 3:20pm:
I suppose you could argue this is petty, I agree...

Indeed, Jim. I think you're picking fly shit out of black pepper.

Roll Eyes

George,

I'm just trying to fit in here...  Wink

Sackett

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2008 at 4:32pm
A movie is for entertainment; like your clip, entertaining, but hardly accurate.  Just because it features a "real" examiner and instrument does not mean his actions (in the movie) were a proper application of the polygraph process.  It was not accurate.

I suppose you could argue this is petty, I agree, but most of the arguments on this board are petty.  However, in the name of accuracy and truth, it has to be brought to the attention of the readers.

Sackett

Yet, you come here daily to make petty arguments. 
The collender analogy is an accurate one based on the known results that polygraph yeild, not the lie that the polygraph industry continues to try to perpetuate that polygraphs are 95-98% accurate, of course Sackett thats only if the hundreds of "variables" that you claim are in order. Variables, that BTW cannot be found anywhere. 

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2008 at 4:54pm
notguilty1 wrote on May 25th, 2008 at 4:32pm:

Sackett

The collender analogy is an accurate one based on the known results that polygraph yeild, not the lie that the polygraph industry continues to try to perpetuate that polygraphs are 95-98% accurate, of course Sackett thats only if the hundreds of "variables" that you claim are in order. Variables, that BTW cannot be found anywhere. 

I'm not here to argue, just point out deficiencies in the information presented here.  As for the colander, was it legal to use?  Yes.  Did it obtain information in the case George mentioned and help resolve the criminal issue?  Probably. 

So if somebody allowed themselves to be conned by some inventive detectives, then so be it.  Those aren't the type that sit around on the computer reading your insightful opinions anyway...

Sackett

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2008 at 7:41pm
sackett wrote on May 25th, 2008 at 4:54pm:
notguilty1 wrote on May 25th, 2008 at 4:32pm:

Sackett

I'm not here to argue, just point out deficiencies in the information presented here.  As for the colander, was it legal to use?  Yes.  Did it obtain information in the case George mentioned and help resolve the criminal issue?  Probably. 

So if somebody allowed themselves to be conned by some inventive detectives, then so be it.  Those aren't the type that sit around on the computer reading your insightful opinions anyway...

Sackett

WOW! We finally got a winner!! 
Sackett, this is what George is pointig out with this site and how the collender relates well to Polygraph. It is nothing more than a way to get people to confess (all be it sometimes falsely)
I am glad that once again you see what Polygraph is all about!

If you replace polygraph with collender in your post you have it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2008 at 10:27pm
Mr Maschke

Trust a polygraph examiner on this one, for true professional realism you need at least one wire running from the colander to the copier.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Disappointed
New User

Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 3:49am
pailryder wrote on May 26th, 2008 at 10:27pm:
Mr Maschke

Trust a polygraph examiner on this one, for true professional realism you need at least one wire running from the colander to the copier.  

Hello, Pailryder,

That was good.  But, of course you don't need any wires to equal the performance of some polygraph exams (speaking from experience).

Please don't be offended.  I have another purpose in joining the conversation.  I see a lot of talent and knowledge on this board.  Probably more than in the average professional conference.  My thought is wouldn't it be great if we put our heads together and could solve this conflict over accuracy.  Somebody is going to find a solution, I think.  It could be as simple as a better protocol than the CQT.

In this vein, I was mulling over a possible solution.  I admit it's not very good, and maybe folks here can improve the idea.

Suppose we have a subject that is so nervous the machine will surely say he is lying on the relevant question.  Could we construct a list of equally threatening questions, so many that he couldn't possibly be guilty on all of them.  Then we could watch to see if the machine knows which question is the relevant question.  Or, if it accuses him of lying on an implausible number of questions.

This is targeted to stopping false positives.  I think if that were its only virtue, it should still be a valuable addition.

IP Logged

Of Colanders and Lie Detectors

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X