Normal Topic Angry as hell and have to take it. (Read 3905 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box angryliar
New User

Angry as hell and have to take it.
May 20th, 2008 at 6:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
This has got to be a typical post on these boards. I took a poly and failed the drug portion after telling the truth. Then I took a retest yesterday and still failed. This is sooooo frustrating. 

So I just get off the phone with my background investigator 2 minutes ago and he asks me what the real story with my drug use is. I told him that I would be lying if I said anything different. My investigator said he would submit my file as a voluntary withdraw so I may re-apply in another year. 

Thanks but no thanks. I'm so over this poly BS. One of the worst things is to be called a liar and know you are not.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Angry as hell and have to take it.
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2008 at 7:05pm
Your experience is all too common, and I understand your frustration and anger, having had a similar experience myself.

I hope you'll consider helping in the effort to put an end to polygraph screening. Apart from participating in the discussions on this message board, you'll find ideas on how you can help on our "Get Involved" page:

https://antipolygraph.org/get.shtml

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box angryliar
New User

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2008 at 8:56pm
lol...I already have. I signed the online petition and plan on writing my Senator and Congressman. Now I have to take a VSA for another department next month.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2008 at 4:33am
angryliar,

So very sorry to hear what happened to you.

I recommend you contact Mr. Sackett who is a polygrapher who posts here regularly.  He may well be able to give you some valuable insight into why you failed.

Contrary to what you may read from the many disgruntled ANTI-polygraph cry babies here, the polygraph is a VERY ACCURATE TEST with tons of scientific data to back it up!

You must not have disclosed everything.  It is  very important to COOPERATE with the examiner, and disclose anything and everything that might be bothering you about the question you had trouble with.  Polygraphers are there to HELP YOU get through the test.  You should have taken advantage of that!

On the other hand, even though the polygraph is grounded in sound scientific principles and is a highly accurate test, there are many, many capricious variables involved with this process.  It is VERY HARD to control them all.   

Then again, you may have just had a BAD EXAMINER.  It happens.  Some examiners don't take the FULL 14 week training course, but opt for the  more abreviated 7 week course.  Did you say anything disparaging about the process during the exam?  If you did, you may have offended him/her.   Unfortunately, polygraphers are human and often sensitive to such insults.

At any rate, don't become a cry baby like the other losers on this board.  Just take your "spanking" and get on with your life.  And don't go blaming an entire industry based on your highly unusual, and isolated case.

TC

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2008 at 7:53am by T.M. Cullen »  

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2008 at 1:54pm
I know what the problem is.  You should have fasted for 24 hours and gotten a good nights sleep.  That would have eliminated 2 of the hundreds of variables which prevent polygraph from being a quantifiable science, and it might have lessed the squiggly lines just a little, in order for the examiner to give his opinion that you were being truthful.  Of course, that opinion itself is based on the assumption that you lied to the examiner when he asked you control questions, (where they presume you told little white lies).

Then again, maybe you were thinking about Bill Clinton using drugs, but not inhailing.  That could have set the squiggly lines in motion.

Maybe your mother had a sister, who dated a guy who was once busted for drug possession, and that thought crept into your mind at the very moment the drug question was asked.

Or maybe, just maybe you heard the question wrong, and thought they meant dog, instead of drug, and that caused your squiggly lines to go nutso... Grin

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Angry as hell and have to take it.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X