Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Crystallynn Girard Murder Case: Yet Another Failure of the Polygraph (Read 44374 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sackett
Especially Senior User

Re: The Crystallynn Girard Murder Case: Yet Another Failure of the Polygraph
Reply #15 - May 2nd, 2008 at 10:13pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
George,

you are really reaching for a connection and connecting dots which do not exist.  

While I believe anything is possible; so to with pigs, if only they had wings...

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Meangino
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 2nd, 2008 at 11:28pm
George W. Maschke wrote on May 2nd, 2008 at 5:19pm:
Jim,
It's no great stretch to suggest that had Donohue known that he continued to be a suspect in an active murder investigation, he might not have taken the risk of killing Giambra.

It's no great stretch to suggest that had the authorities not given such weight to unscientific testing, such as the polygraph, Donohue might have been incarcerated and therefore unable to murder Giambra.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #17 - May 3rd, 2008 at 12:17am
sackett wrote on May 2nd, 2008 at 10:13pm:
George,

you are really reaching for a connection and connecting dots which do not exist.   

While I believe anything is possible; so to with pigs, if only they had wings...

Sackett

If Donohue had failed his polygraph you believe he would have had exactly the same opportunity and would have been exactly as likely to commit further murders?  Really?

You don’t think that failing his polygraph would have had some effect on his status as a suspect in the investigation?  It wouldn’t have made investigators consider him a more likely suspect, and perhaps have caused them to watch him, monitor his movements, or even arrest him?

I think it is only common sense to believe that had Donohue failed his polygraph it would be less likely to have committed subsequent murders.  How much less likely may be debatable, but I don’t think anyone can logically argue that he would have been exactly as likely, or even more likely, to have committed that murder had he not passed the polygraph.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - May 3rd, 2008 at 1:42am
meangino wrote on May 2nd, 2008 at 11:28pm:
Jim,
It's no great stretch to suggest that had Donohue known that he continued to be a suspect in an active murder investigation, he might not have taken the risk of killing Giambra.

It's no great stretch to suggest that had the authorities not given such weight to unscientific testing, such as the polygraph, Donohue might have been incarcerated and therefore unable to murder Giambra.

There are several things you are clearly unfamiliar with regarding law enforcement.  First, if they had anything other than the polygraph to lock Donohue up for, they would have.  Secondly, and more subtle as Lethe would say, the second murder occurred 7 months after the first, then another.  They were never connected (at the time), therefore these would have been looked at separately as individual, non-related deaths and not the work of a serial killer.  Manpower and resources are scarce in most dept's and if the leads run cold, they usually move on to more "fresh" issues.

Unlike as suggested by George, there is no reason to believe that if Donohue had failed his examination on the first murder and provided no subsequent information  that the second and third murders would never have occured.  And certainly nothing is present to suggest his killing activity would have abated if he had been identified through the polygraph, but remained unproven and unarrested. Finally, serial killers generally get more brazen as they get away and over with their last murder.  So perhaps, we could argue that because he was deemed truthful in the first murder examination less people were actually killed as time went on.  I'm not suggesting that is factual, but it is a concept worth considering.

Finally, making assumptions about influences on the actions of a killer is dangerous.  George is attempting to make a connection where none exists.  Just because Donohue (wrongly) passed an examination on an initial murder in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY contributes to his actions months or years later.  To make that argument is dishonest and dissengenuous at best for the readers. 

Enough said.  If you can't grasp what I am saying by now, it is a lost effort by me.

Sackett

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #19 - May 3rd, 2008 at 1:53am
Sackett,

You seem to be saying that a polygraph given to a criminal suspect has absolutely no impact on the investigation regardless of the result.  Passing or failing means absolutely nothing and will have no effect on the direction of the investigation or the conclusions reached by the investigators.

That doesn't seem reasonable to me.  If they are going to bother to give a polygraph exam why would they completely ignore the results?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - May 3rd, 2008 at 3:13am
Sergeant1107 wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 1:53am:
Sackett,

You seem to be saying that a polygraph given to a criminal suspect has absolutely no impact on the investigation regardless of the result.  Passing or failing means absolutely nothing and will have no effect on the direction of the investigation or the conclusions reached by the investigators.

That doesn't seem reasonable to me.  If they are going to bother to give a polygraph exam why would they completely ignore the results?

Sarge,

that is not what I said and certainly did not apply my point to all criminal investigations.  I was only addressing the one in the discussion.

Sackett

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - May 3rd, 2008 at 1:02pm
Everyday, suspects pass polygraphs and are eliminated from suspicion because of that.  Once in a while these suspects actually committed the crime, and go on to commit others.  (Gary Ridgway comes to mind).  While it doesn't happen all the time, when it does, it is tragic.  

Is there any information to believe that the police DIDN'T remove him from consideration because of the failure of polygraph?  Unless there is such information, I believe it is likely to assume they did, because that is the exact purpose of a polygraph in criminal investigations, to eliminate potential suspects so they can concentrate other, more likely suspects.

This theory is borne out by Sackett, who says in the post regarding countermeasures:

"Opposingly, the suspect who tries to enhance their reactions because they "should pass" and are convinced they need to help themselves because they "should pass" will get caught and appear to be attempting to thwart the process.  Why would anyone want to do that, if they're honest?  So, they will be deemed guilty or deceptive (you choose) and subsequently pursued more vigorously. "

In other words, if a suspect passes a polygraph, they are pursued less vigorously than the suspect who failed a polygraph, regardless of whether or not the results of the polygraph are credible.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 3rd, 2008 at 5:22pm
sackett wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 1:42am:
meangino wrote on May 2nd, 2008 at 11:28pm:
Jim,

There are several things you are clearly unfamiliar with regarding law enforcement.  First, if they had anything other than the polygraph to lock Donohue up for, they would have.  Secondly, and more subtle as Lethe would say, the second murder occurred 7 months after the first, then another.  They were never connected (at the time), therefore these would have been looked at separately as individual, non-related deaths and not the work of a serial killer.  Manpower and resources are scarce in most dept's and if the leads run cold, they usually move on to more "fresh" issues.

Unlike as suggested by George, there is no reason to believe that if Donohue had failed his examination on the first murder and provided no subsequent information  that the second and third murders would never have occured.  And certainly nothing is present to suggest his killing activity would have abated if he had been identified through the polygraph, but remained unproven and unarrested. Finally, serial killers generally get more brazen as they get away and over with their last murder.  So perhaps, we could argue that because he was deemed truthful in the first murder examination less people were actually killed as time went on.  I'm not suggesting that is factual, but it is a concept worth considering.

Finally, making assumptions about influences on the actions of a killer is dangerous.  George is attempting to make a connection where none exists.  Just because Donohue (wrongly) passed an examination on an initial murder in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY contributes to his actions months or years later.  To make that argument is dishonest and dissengenuous at best for the readers. 

Enough said.  If you can't grasp what I am saying by now, it is a lost effort by me.

Sackett

Sackett, if Donahue had not been administered the polygraph in 1993 authorities would likely have looked harder for real evidence, such as the conclusive DNA evidence that was recently used.  BTW, I don't know when DNA testing began to be used.  However, this took place in 1993.  I know DNA testing was famously used in the 1994 OJ Simpson case.  I must conclude such testing was available in 1993 and investigators neglected to do so based on an invalid polygraph session. 
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2008 at 5:41pm by »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - May 3rd, 2008 at 6:15pm
Meangino,

that is exactly what twisted logic will get you.  You are now assuming, wrongly (I am sure), that just because Donohue took a polygraph and passed, that detectives in the case simply stopped looking for any evidence?  Failed to cross check DNA? Closed their files and put it in the unsolvable case file, all because he passed a polygraph... Not a very high opinion of police detective's, huh? Don't you think they would have kept looking until all leads were exhausted? That is usually when polygraph in criminal cases are administered; when most leads are exhausted.  Therefore, it is reasonable to believe the police had absolutely nothing on Donohue when they gave him his test and even if he had failed and not admitted or confessed would be where they were at the end of his examination; with nothing.  Once again, polygraph is an investigative tool, not the end all to be all in any investigation.  

The propaganda on this board is such that even the most decent and normal thinking person can start to see goblins where they don't exist.
But you see, it is this zealous and twisted thinking that feeds into the desire of those on this board to somehow PROVE polygraph doesn't work.  I guess we could say that a full moon occured on the date of Donohue's test and that was the reason he falsely passed, too.  Based on your logic, if we go back and look, and a full moon existed, I would be right.

On a side note, DNA became an issue in cases back in the early 90's.  One of the reasons OJ was acquitted was the relatively new science being successfully attacked and the argument that cross contamination played a part.  

Evidence is kept in murders (usually forever) because of the unknown future ability of science to probe and assist in the investigation.  But, once again, I will say that DNA only proves donorship, not guilt or innocence.

Sackett 

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #24 - May 3rd, 2008 at 8:27pm
sackett wrote on May 3rd, 2008 at 6:15pm:

You are now assuming, wrongly (I am sure), that just because Donohue took a polygraph and passed, that detectives in the case simply stopped looking for any evidence?  Failed to cross check DNA? Closed their files and put it in the unsolvable case file, all because he passed a polygraph... Not a very high opinion of police detective's, huh?

No, I didn't assume the detectives stopped looking at any evidence.  Sackett, did you read the background articles George linked in the first post on the thread?  The victim's mother was wrongly convicted.  Hence, we know the detectives focused their efforts on an innocent person.

Regarding the failure to cross-check DNA files, clearly they didn't use the available DNA information correctly since DNA found in the victim implicates Donahue.  In 1993 was science able to identify DNA found inside of a victim?  Perhaps not (I'm not a scientist), but I tend to believe it was feasible in 1993.

You are correct regarding my opinions of the feckless detectives who focused on the victim's mother after Donahue's polygraph.  When an innocent person is convicted, as clearly has happened here, the detectives who worked the case deserve criticism.  The article George linked states Donahue was given immunity regarding Crystallin's murder after he "passed" a polygraph "test." What else do you need to know about the detectives?  Do you instead praise them?  

Because of the ridiculous decision to grant Donahue immunity based on "passing" a polygraph "test" there never will be justice for Crystallin's murder.  Sackett, what do you think of that?

Sackett, maybe you should read all of the available background before saying other posters are making assumptions.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2008 at 8:51pm by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #25 - May 3rd, 2008 at 9:11pm
Don't you think they would have kept looking until all leads were exhausted? That is usually when polygraph in criminal cases are administered; when most leads are exhausted.  Therefore, it is reasonable to believe the police had absolutely nothing on Donohue when they gave him his test and even if he had failed and not admitted or confessed would be where they were at the end of his examination; with nothing.  Once again, polygraph is an investigative tool, not the end all to be all in any investigation.

The Buffalo Police Department polygraphed Dennis Donohue only three days after Crystallynn Girard was found dead. It would appear investigators resorted to the polygraph early -- not late -- in their investigation. The same seems to be true in the investigation into the killing of Nona Dirksmeyer. Investigators focused on her boyfriend, Kevin Jones, early in the investigation and polygraphed him a mere six days after her death. They clearly had not exhausted all leads, as documented in NBC Dateline's recent report.

Thomas Armitage, who is very likely the polygrapher who conducted the polygraph examination, has recently co-authored an article that purports to show that the polygraph technique he uses -- and may very well have used with Donohue (the article mentions that Armitage has 27 years of experience with the technique) -- is virtually 100% accurate and impervious to countermeasures. This study is highly flawed in that it relies on confessions to establish ground truth, a selection criterion that as Iacono and Lykken have pointed out, will tend to systematically exclude false negatives and false positives. Nonetheless, a polygrapher who erroneously believes that the technique he uses is virtually 100% accurate is likely to promote undue confidence in the results of his examinations amongst his colleagues.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 3rd, 2008 at 11:24pm

I guess we could say that a full moon occured on the date of Donohue's test and that was the reason he falsely passed, too.  Based on your logic, if we go back and look, and a full moon existed, I would be right.

Sackett 

My father knew a farmer who made his decision when to castrate hogs based on lunar phases.  He alleged the hogs would bleed less if castrated in the correct phase.  My father's take was the hog would bleed when the scrotum was cut with a knife, regardless of the moon's phase.

On the other hand, your comparison of polygraphy to making decisions based on lunar phases is appropriate.  Neither is a valid decision making tool.

All of that being said, I suppose comparing polygraphy to hog castration is valid.   Grin
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008 at 12:51am by »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #27 - May 4th, 2008 at 6:53am
Meangino,

then feel free to cut away at yourself next full moon...look down and slice...

If you want to discuss the truth of issues then feel free.  If you want to argue minor points that might only support your position, then find a stronger argument...

Sackett

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #28 - May 4th, 2008 at 7:12am
That is usually when polygraph in criminal cases are administered; when most leads are exhausted.

To the best of my knowledge, that is simply not true.  Moreover, I find it difficult to believe that you think it is true.

Do you have some source you could cite or link to provide that would back up your assertion that polygraphs are usually only used in criminal investigations after most leads have been exhausted?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #29 - May 4th, 2008 at 12:30pm
sackett wrote on May 4th, 2008 at 6:53am:
Meangino,

then feel free to cut away at yourself next full moon...look down and slice...

If you want to discuss the truth of issues then feel free.  If you want to argue minor points that might only support your position, then find a stronger argument...

Sackett

Sackett, you're the one who brought up the full moon analogy and pigs in this thread, not me.

Since you desire to discuss the issue at hand I have 2 questons.

• What is your opinion of offering a suspect immunity based on "passing" a polygraph "test," as the liveleak.com article reported happened in the case of Crystallyn Girard?
  • Does it concern you that, due to the polygraph-induced immunity granted to Donahue, there never will be justice for Crystallynn?

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008 at 2:41pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
The Crystallynn Girard Murder Case: Yet Another Failure of the Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X