Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A thought for the antis regarding Countermeasures (Read 32322 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: A thought for the antis regarding Countermeasures
Reply #60 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 2:18pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Pailryder,

If you render a NDI opinion for a polygraph examination in which the examinee employed countermeasures you are correct if: (1) none of your relevant issues/questions included the use of countermeasures during that exam, and (2) the relevant issues/questions you did address through your exam were answered truthfully.  Your question is neither difficult nor philosophical but merely definitional in nature.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2008 at 3:30pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #61 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 4:24pm
Drew Richardson

Although I have never demonstrated any ability to do so, if I call this same test NO for suspected employment of CM, is that also a correct call?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #62 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 5:40pm
Pailryder,

With both the main event (the determination of truth and falsehood regarding relevant issues) and the use of countermeasures, you are faced with a binary event: (1) the examinee, to the first approximation (absent misspoken testimony and misremembered facts), is either telling the truth or lying on any given relevant issue and (2) the examinee has either attempted/employed countermeasures or he/she has not.   

Your opinion rendered in most situations (absent a pre-test confession or a particularly uneducated and clumsy attempt at countermeasures) is little more than a guess with both of the tasks before you.  I say this realizing that there is an appearance of objectivity and scientific determination with the utilization of scoring systems employed with the former task.   

And finally returning to your question…in a common sense connotation, given the tools available to you, a rendering of no opinion is probably the only sane (justified) opinion that you can render with either of the two aforementioned tasks in a typical lie test.  That having been said, nothing is resolved with such an opinion, and, in the case of many screening exams, there are clear and demonstrable negative consequences for the examinee that is saddled with any opinion other than a NDI determination.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #63 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 6:45pm
Drew Richardson

Indeed, in many specific issue exams there are clear and demonstrable negative consequences for the examinee that is saddled with any opinion other than a NDI as well.   

Given my limited understanding as a non scientist and my preference for a common sense connotation, I wonder if use of CM by a truthful subject to avoid a False Positive result, could result in a NO, with negative consequences.  But of course I am aware that neither I nor any other examiner has ever demonstrated any ability to identify CM.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #64 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 7:15pm
Pailryder,

You raise the great conundrum for the innocent examinee.  In reality it is just a variant of the oft spoken of situation of pay your money and take your choice.  It is largely a risk/benefit assessment with one additional twist.   

This examinee, realizing that he is burdened with subjecting himself/herself with an inaccurate diagnostic test of his truthfulness and realizing that he has the ability to manipulate polygraph tracings, can do one of two things: (1) answer relevant questions truthfully in the absence of countermeasure utilization or (2) answer relevant questions truthfully and apply countermeasures. 

The identified risks and benefits are the same for both.  The risk is a determination of any opinion other than NDI (DI, Inc, NO, countermeasures used) and the benefit is a determination of NDI.   

The choice for the examinee is determined by two things: (1) his/her personal assessment of the risk/benefit probability ratio for each of the two alternative strategies and (2) a desire or ambivalence towards having an added and personal role (applying countermeasures) in affecting an outcome having significant impact on one’s future.

Although I have enjoyed our brief and respectful exchanges, I must return to other matters.   

Best Regards… 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #65 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 10:29pm
pailryder wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 1:12pm:
Lethe

Thank you for a through and thoughtful reply, but was your answer yes or no?  Is NDI the correct call for a truthful using CM?

It is impossible to answer this question of yours without you defining what a "correct call" is.  If you have a valid definition, my answer would probably become obvious.  But come up with one and I'll let you know whether your call was correct or not.

But I don't think you're asking the right question.  You need to dig deeper; don't just think about what call is going to bring you the most prestige among your fellow pollies or which will most enhance your reputation and money-making ability, or even your self respect.  Dig down to the bedrock: which call is in the best interests of society?

I would say, and am prepared to defend, the proposition that no possible outcome in that situation is good for society: like nuclear war, you only win if you don't play.  Of course, not playing with the polygraph would be bad for your prestige and wallet, so I don't expect you to agree with that proposition.  But lets look at all possible outcomes.

Well, first, the situation is as follows: a truthful examinee is being pollied for a position of trust for which he or she is qualified.  The examinee, knowing how the polygraph works and that the polygraph is unlikely to be accurate in his case because of said knowledge, attempts CM.  Possible outcomes are:
    (1) Subject ruled truthful
    (2) Subject ruled deceptive
    (3) Subject ruled to be using CM
    (4) No conclusion possible

Now, the consequences for (2), (3), and (4) are virtually identical: the subject does not get the position and significant government resources have been wasted.  Additionally, the subject may become bitter at the farce that he has been put through and the job may go to a less-qualified person (if the next guy was more qualified, he would have been hired in the first place ahead of the initial subject).

Outcome (1) at first appears to be good, or, at least, neutral.  I admit that it is the least bad outcome, but it still results in considerable waste of taxpayer resources (just think about how much money you suck out of society for every test).   

Additionally, the main value of the polygraph to the government vis-a-vis people they need to control employees is not in detecting deception, but in deterring bad behavior in the future.  If the person uses CM and passes (even if he was truthful on the relevant questions, as he should be), it would be natural for him to credit his passing not to his truthfulness (on the relevant questions) but to his use of CM.  He may thus think that he can beat the polygraph in the future if needed and thus it's deterrent value is close to 0.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #66 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 5:55pm
Well, it's been a week now and no response.  I wonder if any poly will be able to defend his profession and indicate how society benefits from their actions in the situation indicated in my last post.  My guess is, probably not: they're too used to getting their own way without having to argue about costs and benefits.  Their ability to present a rational argument has atrophied.   

They are victims of the polygraph too, let us not forget.  Just like a rabid dog is a victim of the virus.  However, that doesn't mean that the dog doesn't need to be put down.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
A thought for the antis regarding Countermeasures

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X