Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) RCMP polygraph... wow you were right. (Read 112129 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Re: RCMP polygraph... wow you were right.
Reply #75 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 7:43am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Further posts to this thread should substantively address the original topic (the RCMP polygraph screening program).

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TheNoLieGuyForYou
New User

Reply #76 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:57pm
     T.M., 

Hi Buddy / I'm Back !,   I saw your posting to this guy Wes99, and just wanted to assure you personally that I am NOT Wes99, and that I have no problem writing you directly and addressing your posts.  I was complimented that you saw my shadow in those posts which agreed with me in some way, but that I am not that person / poster. I'm glad to see you missed me though !!!!   Roll Eyes

Regards,

PATRICK T. COFFEY
TheNoLieGuyForYou

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #77 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Yeah, we've missed you here like we miss a case of hemorrhoids

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #78 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:29am
TheNoLieGuyForYou wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:57pm:
     T.M., 

Hi Buddy / I'm Back !,   I saw your posting to this guy Wes99, and just wanted to assure you personally that I am NOT Wes99, and that I have no problem writing you directly and addressing your posts.  I was complimented that you saw my shadow in those posts which agreed with me in some way, but that I am not that person / poster. I'm glad to see you missed me though !!!!   Roll Eyes

Regards,

PATRICK T. COFFEY
TheNoLieGuyForYou

Weren't you banned?

Why would you come back and post on a board that has already banned you?  Do you feel the rules of polite behavior on the Internet do not apply to you?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #79 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:09am
Sergeant1107 wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:29am:
TheNoLieGuyForYou wrote on Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:57pm:
     T.M., 

Hi Buddy / I'm Back !,   I saw your posting to this guy Wes99, and just wanted to assure you personally that I am NOT Wes99, and that I have no problem writing you directly and addressing your posts.  I was complimented that you saw my shadow in those posts which agreed with me in some way, but that I am not that person / poster. I'm glad to see you missed me though !!!!   Roll Eyes

Regards,

PATRICK T. COFFEY
TheNoLieGuyForYou

Weren't you banned?

Why would you come back and post on a board that has already banned you?  Do you feel the rules of polite behavior on the Internet do not apply to you?

Sergeant1107 (and all),

I invited Mr. Coffey to register and post in a non-anonymous fashion.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wanda loo

dont know what to think
Reply #80 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 12:32pm
I am in the application process.... I am a good, sound person... why would they set up a machine to fail you?? I am going to be honest when i get mine... and make sure i have a clear head. If he/ she is intimidating.. that is something that they will have to be... i have dealt with alot of people like that.. dont care... i do have a question for you though,,,, i have smoked some wackie very lightly and now I am waiting to take the testing for alteast 6 more months as I want to tell the truth and say that i havent been around drugs and havent done them in a year... is this the righht approach??

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box notguilty1
Especially Senior User

Re: dont know what to think
Reply #81 - Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:12pm
Quote:
I am in the application process.... I am a good, sound person... why would they set up a machine to fail you?? I am going to be honest when i get mine... and make sure i have a clear head. If he/ she is intimidating.. that is something that they will have to be... i have dealt with alot of people like that.. dont care... i do have a question for you though,,,, i have smoked some wackie very lightly and now I am waiting to take the testing for alteast 6 more months as I want to tell the truth and say that i havent been around drugs and havent done them in a year... is this the righht approach??

Hey Wanda, Keeping to the standard of the job your seeking is ALWAYS the best bet. Waiting the proper time frame before applying can only help your process though it won't guarantee a pass.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box b rabs

Reply #82 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:24pm
If you want my two cents worth, here it is.  There is much debate about polygraphs and rightly so.  Has anybody ever heard of "if it walks like a chicken and talks like a chicken than most likley its a chicken"?  My overall point being, that its easy to draw conclusions and most people do. So what I think is if the RCMP could conclude your entire history from a polygraph, than why would there be a background check.  Just by looking at this evidence alone I would conclude that the polygraph is not perfect and nothing in this world is.  I do think that it is a wonderful tool for the RCMP to use because people are intimidated by it, and are more likley to spill their guts because of this reason. I know I did.  Its a serious career choice for me and I do not want to give them a reason to reject my application.  As a result I told them about the drugs I have done, the things I have stolen and the lie's that I have told.  If there presumabley was no polygraph examination than I probably wouldnt have been as forth coming as what I have been.  But its good that I did.  It makes me feel like I am more fit going into this profession.  for the polygraph I think you should let it all out, whether you shoot yourself in the foot or not, at least you owned your mistakes.

What do you all think about my little blurb?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TC

Reply #83 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 8:49pm
The use of the polygraph for RCMP recruitment has been structured uniquely in the law enforcement field.  There is the right way, the wrong way and then there is the RCMP way.  Other PD's have been utilizing the polygraph for years with excellent results.  The RCMP have only recently begun using it.  The RCMP interview/examination is a 5+ hour process done by mostly retired polygraphists.  The unfortunate part is that it is really a 5 hour interrogation, replete with all the interview and interrogation techniques applied to heinous criminals.  From bonding to minimizing, nothing is left out.  Zeroing in on anything they might perceive as a "suspicious" the entire weight and experience of the examiner in gaining confessions to crimes is brought to bear on a naive young person or 40 year old seasoned adult in an effort to get the "confession".

Experienced outside examiners given the RCMP training to do the "RCMP way" have walked away from the $500 per exam lure as they do not believe in the method used.  Their extensive experience was not listened to or even respected.

There is a reason that the polygraph is not admissible in court.  At least however, the court would be able to examine the methodology and accuracy of the procedure.  The RCMP hides behind a wall of secrecy and you cannot even examine your own results or have them examined by an expert and neutral third party.  You have to ask yourself why that is.  Interviews and interrogations on criminals are closely examined in court to assure fairness to any person accused of criminal activity.  If the RCMP process is fair and reasonable, why would you not be given the results?

The use of the examination in the recruitment process is also ill timed.  One can only speculate that it is done to save shoe leather in the good old fashioned background checks.  In criminal activity the polygraph is voluntary and only done after exhaustive research and background.  So another question to ask is why in the RCMP way is it used before they have even interviewed employers, mates, teachers, neighbors?  If there was something untoward in the persons past, it would come to light and be addressed further in the interview for veracity and content.

One last observation.  In every large corporation the human resources department is staffed by formally trained and experienced personnel.  Some firms utilize head hunting companies to hire.  Why is the front line RCMP recruiting / staffing not fully trained, or even staffed exclusively by senior experienced personnel?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Bellemont

Reply #84 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 12:55pm
Dear B rabs,

I am a U.S. citizen with different experiences.  So I will use that perspective in commenting on your blurb. 

Quote:
My overall point being, that its easy to draw conclusions and most people do. So what I think is if the RCMP could conclude your entire history from a polygraph, than why would there be a background check.Just by looking at this evidence alone I would conclude that the polygraph is not perfect and nothing in this world is.I do think that it is a wonderful tool for the RCMP to use because people are intimidated by it, and are more likley to spill their guts because of this reason. 

How on this good earth could a polygrapher "conclude your entire history" from a polygraph?  It is an excellent tool for intimidation, we can agree on that.  But does that yield truth?  That depends.  It is important to keep in mind that the device's only value is through it's potential power of intimidation.  As an instrument, it has no validity.  Therefore, it falls upon the polygrapher to "read" the polygraphee to obtain the "results".  If interrogators held Ph.D's in psychology and understood not only how severe stress and other factors affected a the polygraphee's psychology, but also how their own biases came to play in making a "decision", I would be more inclined to accept the polygraph's usefulness as stage prop.  But a Ph.D. requires a high level of training, and a high degree of intelligence, and a high degree of emotional intelligence.  Finally, it would also require that the polygrapher worked in an environment where polygraphers were rewarded equally for false positives as for false negatives.   In other words, where employment incentives were aligned with morality.  In my own experience, I would wager such is generally not now the case. 

No one is asking for perfection.  Furthermore, there is no right to obtaining a security clearance.  But governments do have a solemn obligation to protect their citizens and a duty not to waste taxpayers money.  Can a system that capriciously denies large numbers of highly qualified applicants accomplish this?

Alternatively, if the polygraph was not used for screening, but merely to "encourage" folks to share more information, this would also seem understandable.  Perhaps this is more like what happened in your experience?

I was extremely truthful in my application as well.  Furthermore, I did not need to be intimidated to be totally forthcoming.  The polygrapher was only able to get extra dribs and drabs as a result of what was essentially an interrogation.  I told the truth to the best of my ability.  Yet  I was rejected.   

Mr. Bellemont

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TC

Reply #85 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 8:36pm
Because there is no ability to review or scrutinize the examination and its results, the examiner can take a dislike to you or feel personally you are not good enough for the department and make sure you do not get hired.  All that has to be done is for him to report you are deceptive on some question and you are toast.

They do not want you to research the polygraph beforehand or they will scratch you for trying to beat it.  Aldrich Ames passed more than one examination during his time in the CIA.  Real reliable. From the card trick to the last ditch "I guess we both know the truth now" pitch, its no wonder the courts do not recognize it.

For the RCMP to use this junk science on aspiring applicants is beneath them.  To hide the results and refuse scrutiny contradicts their open and transparent claims.  It is a star chamber at its worst,  it is contrary to the Charter, and a poor substitute for good interview skills and in depth investigation for hiring people.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rental Unit

Reply #86 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 1:07am
people are intimidated by it, and are more likley to spill their guts because of this reason.   [highlight][/highlight]

This admission from a polygrapher wraps up this thread in a nice fancy bow.  Isn't it just ducky?  What a bunch of lying tools.  Ugh.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #87 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 11:47pm
If you were rejected by Buffalo Cabs because of a failed poli, and they actually were dumb enough to tell you that was the reason, then you can easily wipe out poli testing in the True North by filing a federal human rights tribunal complaint.

Oh, yeah, the moment the complaint is filed and you get a file number, issue a press release, with your whole story in writing and the references to how bogus Polis are.  All news days in Canada are, by comparison to anywhere else "slow news days".  Count on a lot of coverage.  Finally, as soon as the media has the bit in their teeth, call your MP, make a complaint, and attach all of the news clippings.  Then, sit back and watch the fun.

You will create many miserable days for ever red coat recruiter.  Revenge will be sweet.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box shattereddreams

Reply #88 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:58pm
I was considering RCMP, but no longer, this is too much man. My VPD poly was cancelled 2 hrs in due to issues that i should have disclosed earlier in the week-id hate to see what would have happened if the poly went through.

Does anybody know of a polie agency that doesnt do a polygraph?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
RCMP polygraph... wow you were right.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X