Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Polygraph Utility – How Does Polygraph Compare to Other Forensic Tools?   (Read 11994 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Barry_C
Very Senior User

Re: Polygraph Utility – How Does Polygraph Compare to Other Forensic Tools?  
Reply #15 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 10:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
You're looking for influenza or an absence of influenza, just as you are looking for deception or an absence of deception.  In both tests, you will have inconclusives.  Just because you call the absence of deception "truth" (which it is), doesn't make them (or rather, the analogy) all that different.  After all, you could call the absence of influenza "healthy" (and influenza, "sick").

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 12:45pm
Hunter wrote on Oct 27th, 2007 at 9:47pm:

Polygraph -18 correct identifications, 1 error and 1 inconclusive result for an over all accuracy of 95%

If in field testing the 5% Incon are called NDI, the error rate is 10%
That is too high in terms of human collateral.

In reality, the errors in field testing are likely to be considerably in excess of 10%.
The NAS study said as much, I'm just too lazy to find the link right now.

Whether error rates are attributable to the polygraph itself, or to inept examiners is disputable.

My humble opinion is that far too many examiners are gung ho, aggressive and inept. 
Aspects that have been highlighted many times by reversed incarcerations and by some who post on this board.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 1:21pm
Quote:
[quote author=Hunter link=1193405326/0#10 date=1193521670]

Polygraph -18 correct identifications, 1 error and 1 inconclusive result for an over all accuracy of 95%

Quote:
If in field testing the 5% Incon are called NDI, the error rate is 10%
That is too high in terms of human collateral.

In reality, the errors in field testing are likely to be considerably in excess of 10%.
The NAS study said as much, I'm just too lazy to find the link right now.

Whether error rates are attributable to the polygraph itself, or to inept examiners is disputable.

My humble opinion is that far too many examiners are gung ho, aggressive and inept. 
Aspects that have been highlighted many times by reversed incarcerations and by some who post on this board.

Error rates are too high for what C? Despite the disinformation, decisions regarding incarceration and/or applicant rejection as a sole result of polygraph are simply not tolerated, period. Perhaps your concern for "human collateral" stems from a modality from a seperate country---not in the US at this time. So many people are rejected by fed intel and cop shops because the officials seek individuals who are cleaner (can you say boringingly squeeky) than the vast majority of US citizens---in the scope of drugs, sexual history, and theft especially. Let a dog lick your balls as a teen?...well, the chief might not like that ----regardless if it was a typical teenage fancy. Steal cash from grandma while she was in the hospitol?--the cheif might have a soft spot for grandmothers-----but typically many things are overlooked unless they present as unashamed or perpetuating. Individuals, say, in an applicant screening situation, are rejected over many factors---many of which are not told to the applicant, as this is certainly the case with any job whether poly is used or not. Most times the applicant just doesn't have all the right qualities, and the polygraph is scapegoated. Take Erik Prince, the controversial owner and (former Navy Seal) of Blackwater USA, he failed his CIA poly, but it is pretty much accepted that he snagged other concerns--having garnered the reputation of being critical of the Naval Institue as a young attendee (he quit bitterly), and being a right-wing extremist (long story) among other slightly "off" personal attributes such as alleged recklessness (the CIA's greatest phobia)-------but was only told at that time that he simply "failed" his polygraph (according to the latest Newsweek magazine article on Blackwater's Prince.) I find it quite telling that now that he has such high accesses and clearences, that he continues to use polygraph pervasively within the Blackwater organization. Bare in mind that Prince calls the shots and he has a love affair with applicant screening modalities, and if he felt that polygraph was a pseudoscience he would certainly ignore the usage potentials.

ps. 1904, your opinion has never been "humble" and neither has mine. 

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2007 at 1:49pm by EJohnson »  

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #18 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 3:53pm
EJohnson wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 1:21pm:
Bare in mind that Prince calls the shots and he has a love affair with applicant screening modalities, and if he felt that polygraph was a pseudoscience he would certainly ignore the usage potentials.

Don't you believe there is the distinct possibility that he, like many others, believe the polygraph is incapable of detecting truth or deception, but that it does serve to elicit damaging confessions from people who believe it will "detect lies?"

Using the polygraph in such a manner is hardly an endorsement of its scientific legitimacy.  If Blackwater was screening employees who believed that a crystal ball could detect lies the crystal ball would be exactly as effective as the polygraph in eliciting confessions, and it would be exactly as capable of detecting truth or decption.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous κtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 4:06pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 3:53pm:
Bare in mind that Prince calls the shots and he has a love affair with applicant screening modalities, and if he felt that polygraph was a pseudoscience he would certainly ignore the usage potentials.

Don't you believe there is the distinct possibility that he, like many others, believe the polygraph is incapable of detecting truth or deception, but that it does serve to elicit damaging confessions from people who believe it will "detect lies?"

Using the polygraph in such a manner is hardly an endorsement of its scientific legitimacy.  If Blackwater was screening employees who believed that a crystal ball could detect lies the crystal ball would be exactly as effective as the polygraph in eliciting confessions, and it would be exactly as capable of detecting truth or decption.

So does your question imply that a person who was falsy accused of lying could then go on to use the instrument in the way that you stated? Unlikely. You have no faith in poly screening per your historic statements, so I gather that you wouldn't use the poly if it were your multi-million dollar operation. Call me crazy.

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 4:22pm

I find it quite telling that now that he (Erik Prince) has such high accesses and clearences, that he continues to use polygraph pervasively within the Blackwater organization. Bare in mind that Prince calls the shots and he has a love affair with applicant screening modalities, and if he felt that polygraph was a pseudoscience he would certainly ignore the usage potentials.

I would hardly think that Erik Prince should be polygraph's poster boy.

Bad choice mate.

[/quote]

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 4:30pm
I wasn't endorsing E Prince and my point was that despite Prince's obvious controversial history, power, and alliances---and having failed his CIA polygraph which according to many people here----cost him a job by virtue of the stated draconian practices of "DI means DQ", he would seem to be the cat who would not use polygraph, rather than hiring 100's of us.

FYI, I'm not a huge Blackwater fan these days---but besides the point.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 1:07am
EJohnson wrote on Oct 29th, 2007 at 4:06pm:
So does your question imply that a person who was falsy accused of lying could then go on to use the instrument in the way that you stated? Unlikely. You have no faith in poly screening per your historic statements, so I gather that you wouldn't use the poly if it were your multi-million dollar operation. Call me crazy.

My post was meant to show that a person who uses the polygraph to screen potential employees need not have a belief in the ability of the polygraph to detect deception.   

I have personally spoken with two chiefs of police in Connecticut (where polygraph screening for police officers is required by law) who said they are aware the polygraph cannot "detect lies", but that it can be effective at getting applicants to admit to various things.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous κtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 12:41pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on Oct 30th, 2007 at 1:07am:

My post was meant to show that a person who uses the polygraph to screen potential employees need not have a belief in the ability of the polygraph to detect deception.  

I have personally spoken with two chiefs of police in Connecticut (where polygraph screening for police officers is required by law) who said they are aware the polygraph cannot "detect lies", but that it can be effective at getting applicants to admit to various things.

Now there's some ground truth for the statisticians and pseudo scientists that daily swamp this board with pie-in-the-sky psychobabble and even though some declare that the AP folk bore them, continually
return with their daily tsunami dose of BS. 

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #24 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 3:11pm
Hunter wrote on Oct 28th, 2007 at 8:33pm:
According to your logic, fingerprints should never be used, they are not 100% accurate when you include the inconclusive rate.Somewhere there is a fallacy in your logic.  Maybe you should re evaluate what you have posted and see if you can correct it.  

Hunter:
Re-evaluate what you said.
In the fingerprinting exercise there were 0 errors.
The correct calls are verifiable by direct comparison, there can be no error in the lab nor the field.

In a lab setting with students, errors and correct calls can be verified.
In the field however, correct calls and errors can seldom be verified.
That was the crux of Sarge's post. Unless your subject verified for you - you dont actually know.
You only THINK that you know.

And history tells us that many examiners thought wrong.

IP Logged

Polygraph Utility – How Does Polygraph Compare to Other Forensic Tools?  

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X