Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sad Stats (Read 21043 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ludovico
Senior User

I was cured all right.

Re: Sad Stats
Reply #45 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 2:21pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
digithead: Quote:
Anyhow, I'll be off the board for a week or so while I travel for job talks as I'm wrapping my Ph.D. up and I need to start earning real money again. But until then, I'll be waiting for the next round of invictive, vitriol, ad hom, and snarkiness from you guys...

'till then.

Safe travels, and good luck with the job.

l

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising visit?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lethe
Very Senior User

Reply #46 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:36pm
I don't have anything against the conversation that has been going on here since my last post, but I would like to call attention to what I think is a very important point:

People, departments, and agencies that use the probable lie control question test to screen applicants and employees think that it is okay for someone to lie if needed to get a job.

Now, that is a coherent idea and can be defended on logical grounds.  But I think people who are in favor of using the PLCQ exam that way need to be honest about that.  It's silly to say that "lying" is okay but "cheating" is wrong; that is a distinction without a difference, the motive is precisely the same in both cases.

So, why is someone who is willing to lie and deceive perfectly qualified to be, for instance, a police officer but someone who knows how the polygraph works, and understands that it will be much less accurate in his case on account of his knowledge, and who can't get a straight, honest answer out of a polygrapher, and therefore decides that he must "cheat" in order to get the exam to accurately say he is honest not suitable?  Why not simply educate such a person about the facts and allow him to take the test again?  Do you polygraphers even know yourselves?  If so, let us hear a sensible answer.

Is former APA President Skip Webb evil or just stupid?

Is former APA President Ed Gelb an idiot or does the polygraph just not work?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Reply #47 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 2:52am
Lethe wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:36pm:
I don't have anything against the conversation that has been going on here since my last post, but I would like to call attention to what I think is a very important point:

People, departments, and agencies that use the probable lie control question test to screen applicants and employees think that it is okay for someone to lie if needed to get a job.

Now, that is a coherent idea and can be defended on logical grounds.  But I think people who are in favor of using the PLCQ exam that way need to be honest about that.  It's silly to say that "lying" is okay but "cheating" is wrong; that is a distinction without a difference, the motive is precisely the same in both cases.

So, why is someone who is willing to lie and deceive perfectly qualified to be, for instance, a police officer but someone who knows how the polygraph works, and understands that it will be much less accurate in his case on account of his knowledge, and who can't get a straight, honest answer out of a polygrapher, and therefore decides that he must "cheat" in order to get the exam to accurately say he is honest not suitable?  Why not simply educate such a person about the facts and allow him to take the test again?  Do you polygraphers even know yourselves?  If so, let us hear a sensible answer.

Your philosophical underpinnings suggest that you believe that lying and cheating are one in the same----and your questions beg...Beg...BEG.....BEG the question that you already know the answer to. Ya don't have to lie on a CQT (we don't even use the "PLCQT" term) for it to far better than chance indicate deception from a mathematical probablity standpoint. Polygraph is a test---imperfect....nonetheless a test. If you are an African American inner-city parent who has read Andrew Hacker's works on how tests in white America are unfairly biased against Black children, "test theory" holds some serious caveats. Hacker's work makes sense, so tests underwent some changes---and if Black parents aren't liking the bias, they take their kids to a school that doesn't administer such tests, or better yet---more often parents opt to home school there kids. People who don't like polygraph, should just not take the test, nor should they pursue careers that ask of highly personal historic events and behaviors. 
So Lethe, the test works just as good with knowledge. Go to polygraph school and intern. If you don't want to (which of course you don't), than your hyper-probing questions involving nuance and psychological artistry are nothing more than snow balls from a bunker-----you know it, I know it---hell even twoblock knows it while on Risperdol. lol Grin

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #48 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 8:48pm
Yes, of course, I know that you don't have to lie on every control question to pass, you just need to be more anxious and concerned about the control questions than the relevant ones.  But, that fact does nothing to modify my point: that a person who is willing to lie in order to get a job is perfectly okay.

Anyway, it is true that I don't see any moral difference between "lying" and "cheating."  They're both equally culpable in my mind.  What do you see as the difference?  Why is the later bad and the former okay?  Why retest people who lie but not ones who cheat?  It seems totally self serving on the part of the polygraph community to me.

Do you have any substantive response to this?

Did you know that polygrapher Sackett doesn't care about detecting deception to relevant questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Reply #49 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 12:17am
Lethe wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 8:48pm:
Yes, of course, I know that you don't have to lie on every control question to pass, you just need to be more anxious and concerned about the control questions than the relevant ones.  But, that fact does nothing to modify my point: that a person who is willing to lie in order to get a job is perfectly okay.

Anyway, it is true that I don't see any moral difference between "lying" and "cheating."  They're both equally culpable in my mind.  What do you see as the difference?  Why is the later bad and the former okay?  Why retest people who lie but not ones who cheat?  It seems totally self serving on the part of the polygraph community to me.

Do you have any substantive response to this?

Lethe, it is clear from many of your posts that "your mind" makes little distinctions regarding an assortment of moral concepts. Please keep this point on topic as it relates to anecdotally confirmed attempts by people to cheat on their polygraph tests by way of behavioral, non-compliance, and physical/mental countermeasure attempts. This thread isn't about culpability comparisons, or any sort of sanctity of truth telling---it's about cheating with unempirically proven internet monkey business on contemporary polygraph tests with countermeasure trained examiners. Your waxing poetic and moral relativism reminds me of a certain amateur poet and his thinly layered agnosto-ethical atheism. 

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #50 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 5:51am
Paradiddle wrote on Oct 10th, 2007 at 12:17am:

Lethe, it is clear from many of your posts that "your mind" makes little distinctions regarding an assortment of moral concepts. Please keep this point on topic as it relates to anecdotally confirmed attempts by people to cheat on their polygraph tests by way of behavioral, non-compliance, and physical/mental countermeasure attempts. This thread isn't about culpability comparisons, or any sort of sanctity of truth telling---it's about cheating with unempirically proven internet monkey business on contemporary polygraph tests with countermeasure trained examiners. Your waxing poetic and moral relativism reminds me of a certain amateur poet and his thinly layered agnosto-ethical atheism. 

It seems to me that you're the moral relativist between the two of us.  I'm saying that lying to get a job and cheating to get a job are morally the same thing.  You're the one who finds some sort of distinction between the two.  Would you care to tell us what it is?  I admit that this is getting somewhat off topic in this thread.  Shall we carry on this line of discussion in a new thread?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ludovico
Senior User

I was cured all right.

Reply #51 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 4:29pm
I met yet another victim of the anti-poly-folly.

Sad thing too, because he might have done just fine without the "help" from this website.

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising visit?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #52 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:05pm
Yep, I had two this week that were disqualified.  Sad fact as they are victims from the info on this site!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #53 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 8:20am
Wonder_Woman wrote on Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:05pm:
Yep, I had two this week that were disqualified.  Sad fact as they are victims from the info on this site!

Did you have any this week that were disqualified even though they made no admissions and maintained that they were being honest?

How many of them were false positives?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #54 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 4:51pm
Quote:
Yep, I had two this week that were disqualified.  Sad fact as they are victims from the info on this site!

If these people 'fessed up to using countermeasures, we can all agree that there is at least SOME of our advice that was not followed. 

If they couldn't follow one of the most clearly stated ideas in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, why should any of us believe that they managed to get anything else right?

There are people out there that are just less intelligent than others.

If there is a recipe that clearly states no salt is to be used, and a cook puts 1/4 cup of salt in the pot and the thing turns out to be a disaster, is the recipe bad? No, the cook is incompetent. Who knows what other parts he omitted or bastardized?

Moreover, the real question is how many of your examinees this week--both truthful and intentionally deceptive--exploded into laughter when they reached their cars to leave--after successfully employing countermeasures?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Squeezecheeze
New User

Reply #55 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:38pm
Gino,

You called it correctly again! TLBTLD is nothing more than a bad recipe ! In most cases, those who try to follow it find it is a recipe for disaster.

Keep up the great work!

SC

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #56 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 1:19am
Squeezecheeze wrote on Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:38pm:
Gino,

You called it correctly again! TLBTLD is nothing more than a bad recipe ! In most cases, those who try to follow it find it is a recipe for disaster.

Keep up the great work!

SC

How did you read Gino's post and conclude that he felt TLBTLD is a bad recipe?  His analogy actually implied the opposite.

I am curious as to how you reached the conclusion that "most" of the people who try to follow TLBTLD find it a recipe for disaster.  Is it because some people who admit to countermeasures (against the advice contained in TLBTLD) claim they got their information from this site?

The only way you could determine that "most" of the people who took advice from this site found it to be a recipe for disaster would be if you knew how many people took polygraphs while using countermeasure information they found on this site.  The truth is that you have no idea of that number.

How many people around the country passed their polygraphs this week while using countermeasures?

Does anyone think the number is zero?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #57 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 6:55am
Sargeant

They "maybe" catch one from time to time but I have logged on to this site many times a day, quite often between 1 and 4 oclock in the AM, and there are any where from 10 to over 100 guest on this site at a time. Are they here for just recreational reading? I would think not. I think one could make an educated guess as to the percentage caught using CMs when a couple of polygraphers say "hey, I caught one to day" like it's not an every day occurance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Ex Member

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #58 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 2:26pm
Twoblock wrote on Oct 22nd, 2007 at 6:55am:
Sargeant

They "maybe" catch one from time to time but I have logged on to this site many times a day, quite often between 1 and 4 oclock in the AM, and there are any where from 10 to over 100 guest on this site at a time. Are they here for just recreational reading? I would think not. I think one could make an educated guess as to the percentage caught using CMs when a couple of polygraphers say "hey, I caught one to day" like it's not an every day occurance.

Hi 2Block, your math is a little smokey---and I would caution you from calling your guesses "educated" when there are over 3,000 examiners worldwide---the majority of which don't make their experiences known to your greatness. Wink

E

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Sad Stats

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X