Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Polygraph analysis questions (Read 15504 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box truckie101
New User

Polygraph analysis questions
Sep 27th, 2007 at 9:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi!

I've not seen this covered elsewhere on the site (great site, BTW), but perhaps I'm overlooking it. So- I thought I'd ask here.

Let's suppose for one moment that polygraphy- the analysis of certain physiological data in response to a verbal query- is a science. That implies that a trained analyst should be able to interpret those data in a manner consistent with the finding of deceptive answers, of course- the basis of the entire industry.

Science is real big on "repeatability" and in interpretation of data. This is to say, if it's a science based on interpretation, barring any ideological notions to the opposite, two interpreters should be able to derive the same answer from the same set of data. Or so it goes in forensics: if two forensic analysts examine the same set of fingerprint data, they should be able to determine if one set of prints is consistent with another set of prints.

So my question is this: if polygraphy is considered a "science," rather than the reading of tea leaves, why is it that data are interpreted by an individual, rather than a panel? When a tumor is excised via biopsy and sent to the pathology lab, a small team of experts (3-4, I believe) must come to the same conclusion as to type and degree of changes in morphology for a cancer diagnosis. The reason is quite simple: if there is an error, a life may be lost.

Surely if polygraphy were to be considered a science, the experts in the field would agree that multiple independent examiners- say a panel of three certified individuals- could come to the same conclusion based on the same set of data. Has this been considered? If polygraphy were able to be derived from voodoo, then experts being able to arrive at consensus from the same set of data would seem to be a requirement. Instead, police departments and federal agencies continue to throw money down this well, hoping that the "new and improved" form of the Spanish Inquisition will somehow allow us to divine the truth- all on the basis of techniques that (by all manner of scientific inquiry) should be derided in the same vein as phrenology.

How is it in a modern society we can accept this junk science as truth-finding if it fails independent analysis?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Re: Polygraph analysis questions
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:59pm
Great point truckie. In many federal testing modalities such a small panel exists. I am all for consensus regarding chart interpretation. Again, fabulous point.

regards

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ludovico
Senior User

I was cured all right.

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2007 at 7:36pm
Quote:
If polygraphy were able to be derived from voodoo, then experts being able to arrive at consensus from the same set of data would seem to be a requirement. Instead, police departments and federal agencies continue to throw money down this well, hoping that the "new and improved" form of the Spanish Inquisition will somehow allow us to divine the truth- all on the basis of techniques that (by all manner of scientific inquiry) should be derided in the same vein as phrenology.

First off, lets have this conversation without all the DRAMA! Polygraph is not the spanish inquisition. No one is killed or tortured. They spend money on it because its the best technology that exists at present. Because there is a yammering and drooling (drama, I know) for something better, you must be aware that everyone who can't think for themselves is vulnerable to being sold some form of snake-oil as a replacement. 

Aside from all that, many programs include a QC component - which serves the same objectives as a panel. 

Another approach in related sciences is to validate a method and then automate it, using computers (not just interns) which execute a process with theoretically perfect reliability.

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising visit?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 12:29pm
Ludovico wrote on Sep 30th, 2007 at 7:36pm:
[quote]

Another approach in related sciences is to validate a method and then automate it, using computers (not just interns) which execute a process with theoretically perfect reliability.

That is the problem in a nutshell. Polygraphy is NOT science.
It has imperfect reliability. Therefore it is not a validated
scientific technology. 
Who said so? - your favourite source of quotes did. NAS.

IP Logged

Senior User

I was cured all right.

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 12:49pm
Quote:

Right-e-O Chief.

By that definition every test in the social sciences (including education) is invalid.

Try again?

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007 at 1:07pm by Ludovico »  

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising visit?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 2:15pm
Ludovico wrote on Oct 1st, 2007 at 12:49pm:
Quote:

Right-e-O Chief.

By that definition every test in the social sciences (including education) is invalid.

Try again?

You're running out of corners to paint yourself into.
You must be the only individual that ever categorised p/g as a social science.
Try to spin it anyway you like, but the real facts, not the facts of the
deluded, say that p/g is junk science. 
Circular arguments : 'this is what works best so lets use it - dont throw
the baby out with the bathwater' BS are feeble.

So, right-e-O junior,  take a goodly dose of brain growth hormones and
sit in the naughty corner till the haze clears.

IP Logged

Senior User

I was cured all right.

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 2:40pm
OK, you sure taught me. Boy-o-boy I bet that felt good to call me junior, and drag out that junk-science rubber stamp (that's a reliable conversation killer anytime it gets too deep to contend with the argument). I'll sure be going to my room now. 

Arrogance aside. 

Do you really think there is any test anywhere with perfect reliability? 

Which one? Where?

If you're going to have an intellectual conversation, then you have to do it without the rubber stamp labels. Otherwise, we might as well proceed directly to the 

Oh yeah?

Says you.

Oh yeah?

Says you.

Portion of this exchange, 'cause this is simply a chest-beating and brow-bashing forum with no real interest in discussion.

Its fun though.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 2:50pm
You're moving the goalposts now.
We've gone from science to tests.
Maths is a science and it withstands any validity test.

Biology is a verifiable, valid science.

Tests per se are not all scientific. they are what they are.
merely attempts to prove / disprove theory.

Stand still. No jumping around.
you know who i am and i know who you are.
We both know that what we did / do is purely a career.
If you were a 'sealer', would you try to justify clubbing seal pups?

Face your demons honestly.

IP Logged

Senior User

I was cured all right.

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 4:15pm
Quote:
Tests per se are not all scientific. they are what they are.
merely attempts to prove / disprove theory.

I know, I know. 

Things like theories and probabilities don't have much to do with science, now. Do they Chief?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 4:25pm
Please direct me to validated research theories that prove a link between emotions and physiological responses.

Not postulation, but peer reviewed research by actual scientists.

I guess that in your mind people like Lykken and his peers were really just spoilers.

IP Logged

Senior User

I was cured all right.

Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 4:42pm
Way to bang the drum there, Buck-o.

Its nice to see you found some productive and satisfying activity for your retirement.

Some day you'll have to do your own homework and cease being Georgie's lap-dog with the rhetorical questions about validated studies. 

That's not the kind of question that stimulates a real intellectual discussion. Its the kind of question intended to handicap a conversation.

The real concern is this:

Are there any valid theories that support the linkeage between stimulus (not emotion) and physiolgical response. The null hypothesis for which would be that there are no linkeages between stimulus and physiological response. 

Lykken is a fine start. Are you suggesting that there are no generalizable conclusions from Lykken to modern polygraph???

You can start here for some basic information about physiology, psychology and stimulus response theory

www.google.com

just experiment with different keywords, and you'll see that there is an awful lot we know about things like emotion, physiology, stimulus, response, and measurement.

You're not seriously trying to have this conversation in an anti-polygraph circus are you.

If you were serious, you'd go back to school and start proving or disproving things for real.

Your just enjoying the opportunity to be self-righteous, and appease yourself of what you view as some form of personal shame for having got involved in polygraph.

There are more productive ways of improving things.

This is fun though.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 4:58pm
Sooo, now you're making it personal because your psychobabble BS isnt
getting you anywhere...

Whats with all the "Boss, Chief, Bucko, " BS. 
Its seriously not even slightly funny. Just because
your colleagues are wetting their pants doesnt make you comic of the year.
You're still just a deluded clown spewing out BS syllables.

If you're an example of the best & brightest in the APA circus,
then there is hope for everyone. 

Bi now Jerry. I'm done wit you. Dont forget yr reading homework.

IP Logged

Senior User

I was cured all right.

Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 5:04pm
Ye-ah. Sorry Bub.

Nap time already?
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007 at 6:33pm by Ludovico »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wiseup
New User

Reply #13 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 7:08pm
Ludovico wrote on Oct 1st, 2007 at 5:04pm:
Ye-ah. Sorry Bub.

Nap time already?

I think we've discovered the Big Bad Bully from the school ground sandbox... Whilst the other kids were napping were ya digging up some kitty poo poo and analysing it early on?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 7:51pm
Lovely, another member of the villiage people ----sans the talent. Soooooooo....wiseup, what be your analysis? Care to comment on the topic of polygraph, or are you just stopping by for the food?

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

Polygraph analysis questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X