Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) POLYS (Read 9323 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tbld
Ex Member

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

POLYS
Sep 20th, 2007 at 10:50pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Although polygraph technology is popular, Allen cautioned that "there's no such thing as a lie detector," adding that polygraph tests, also known as lie detectors, are often "terrible at exonerating the innocent." 

Those who are given the polygraph test often exhibit the same nervousness and arousal that typically indicate lying, he said. Up to 50 percent of the time, polygraphs indicate falsehoods that do not exist. 

BOOMSHAKLAKA!!! Show that to crybaby and palerider...

Anyway i find you site very informative i was very nervous about my upcoming poly until i found ap.org!! after reading the ap wesite i went to a friend who does background checks and he confirmed the same thing... polys arent worth a damn... all  a polygraph machine is... is a tool to get uninformed people to believe in a little machine that has no validity... The polygrpaher has no idea what is in someones background unless they tell them on their background packet. and just because they respond to a question doesnt mean that they are lying it just means they responded to the question.. .. 

Palerider and Crybaby never George M forever.....!!!!!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rice80
User

Re: POLYS
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 6:45pm
I agree. Polygraphs are inteaded to scare the poeple who don't know how they work. They are merely and interagation tool for confessions. I have been a law enforcement officer now for several years and have taken taken several polygraphs to get to where I am now. When I first started my law enforcement career several years ago, I had nerver taken a ploygraph and quite frankly where scared to death of them. I applied to a state agency and took the ploygraph three times. I told the same information on all three ploygraphs and failed the first two and passed the third. I went on to finish the whole hiring process but was not hired becuase I didn't have a college education at the time, or so they say. I then proceded on to apply to another department and take their polygraph as well.  This time I researched this "so-called" proven science as I was told. I learned about the tricks used by the examiners againest their examinees. Now I must say that I had nothing to hide when I took my previous poly test and I told the truth and still failed the first two. I then took my third with the same agency and told the exact same information and passed prior to educated myself as to how they actually worked.   

All polygraphs that I have taken were all the CQT ones. Once I learned how the tests are conducted I felt more comfortable taking the poly test and passing it. Since I am a cop I can consider why we use this machine againest criminals. It is truely a good iterragation tool but it has no sciencetific backing to prove its relieabilty, thus why it is not allowed in court. I have consulted with other polygraph examiners after becoming a cop and they all have confirmed the same thing. They assume if you react to a control question more then a relavent then you are telling the truth and vise versa. They also cannot really tell if countermeasures are being use unless you of course admitt to it. I have seen and heard alot of good people get turned down for law enforcement positions simply because they told the truth and failed the polygraph. I am a prime example. I have since taken another and passed having been educated, and yes I did employ countermeasures which were not detected. 

I do agree however with some of the other postings I have read from the other examiners on this site stating that educating the sex offenders and other criminals is bad because we need to put these type of people behind bars but it is also good to educate the truthfull people who just want to pursue thier dreams and its not fair to "fail" them for telling the truth and not "reacting" the way they should on a crude instument.  Polygraphs should utimately be done away with until they can provide concrete evidence that they can actually detect know liars. I believe if you do a sound and through background check on an applicant and his references/employment you should discover what type of person he/she really is.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 8:59pm
rice80 wrote on Oct 3rd, 2007 at 6:45pm:
I agree. Polygraphs are inteaded to scare the poeple who don't know how they work. They are merely and interagation tool for confessions. I have been a law enforcement officer now for several years and have taken taken several polygraphs to get to where I am now. When I first started my law enforcement career several years ago, I had nerver taken a ploygraph and quite frankly where scared to death of them. I applied to a state agency and took the ploygraph three times. I told the same information on all three ploygraphs and failed the first two and passed the third. I went on to finish the whole hiring process but was not hired becuase I didn't have a college education at the time, or so they say. I then proceded on to apply to another department and take their polygraph as well.  This time I researched this "so-called" proven science as I was told. I learned about the tricks used by the examiners againest their examinees. Now I must say that I had nothing to hide when I took my previous poly test and I told the truth and still failed the first two. I then took my third with the same agency and told the exact same information and passed prior to educated myself as to how they actually worked.  

All polygraphs that I have taken were all the CQT ones. Once I learned how the tests are conducted I felt more comfortable taking the poly test and passing it. Since I am a cop I can consider why we use this machine againest criminals. It is truely a good iterragation tool but it has no sciencetific backing to prove its relieabilty, thus why it is not allowed in court. I have consulted with other polygraph examiners after becoming a cop and they all have confirmed the same thing. They assume if you react to a control question more then a relavent then you are telling the truth and vise versa. They also cannot really tell if countermeasures are being use unless you of course admitt to it. I have seen and heard alot of good people get turned down for law enforcement positions simply because they told the truth and failed the polygraph. I am a prime example. I have since taken another and passed having been educated, and yes I did employ countermeasures which were not detected. 

I do agree however with some of the other postings I have read from the other examiners on this site stating that educating the sex offenders and other criminals is bad because we need to put these type of people behind bars but it is also good to educate the truthfull people who just want to pursue thier dreams and its not fair to "fail" them for telling the truth and not "reacting" the way they should on a crude instument.  Polygraphs should utimately be done away with until they can provide concrete evidence that they can actually detect know liars. I believe if you do a sound and through background check on an applicant and his references/employment you should discover what type of person he/she really is.

I am glad you agree that criminals should undergo testing, but unfortuneately bad guys try to get jobs where they are entrusted with great power. Often times the bad applicant falsifies their education when in fact they cannot even write a couple of simple paragraphs, or worse yet, they have a history of violence or felonious theft. Sometimes applicants with very wild pasts disclose some things and they can't even remember the volume of stuff as over the years they have been too wild---which such nebulous doubts never work well either. Unfortunately for some, I am highly suspicious of all countermeasure "success stories" as they come off as infomercial testimonies----hair growth, weight loss---you know what I mean. Sorry

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rice80
User

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:39pm
You of all people know that a simply polygraph cannot determine a persons background. Thats why a though background check needs to be completed. Polygraphs alone do not stop bad guys from being hired. Totality of the circumstances remember? but there are a few that sometime slips through the cracks. 

Look I'm not here to get into a pissing contest with anyone. Quite frankly I find it childish. I'm also not interested in "attacking" any examiner. I understand you have a job as well and I suppose I would be defensive if someone were to attack my profession. I merely wanted to post my experiences and comments about the polygraph process. Take them for what you want.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ludovico
Senior User

I was cured all right.

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 12:29am
So what are you here for. Don't they have counseling services in your police benefits package?

Now, to original poster:

What research are you referring to regarding polygraph accuracy?

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising visit?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 2:37am
tbld is now an ex member, gone or reinvented.  Also, Rice80 cannot be a cop.  He could have never passed the written test.  I never judge someone by misspelled words on these sites because I have made them also.  But come on, this guy can't write.

Rice80 if you have taken 3 polygraphs, prove it.

IP Logged

New User

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 9:35pm
Far from an ex member just been away

IP Logged

New User

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 10:17pm
Wonder_Woman wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 2:37am:
tbld is now an ex member, gone or reinvented.  Also, Rice80 cannot be a cop.  He could have never passed the written test.  I never judge someone by misspelled words on these sites because I have made them also.  But come on, this guy can't write.

i know plenty of cops who cant spell... First, spelling has nothign to do with being a LEO...majority of reports are done by compter ''spell check'' Its is ok to make a spelling mistake ty. Second, written tests arent that hard.....Last i dont think rice80 will ''prove'' that he has taken 3 polygraphs...Hey WW here are the names dates of my pg examiner etc blah blah why would you want him to prove anything to you? my guess is so you could call and tattle on him... huh ''bucko'' ''bub'' maybe??

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 10:57pm
WW didn't just say rice80 can't spell, she said he can't write. It's the difference between not being able to dance, and not being able to walk.

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 1:30am
tbld wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 10:17pm:
Wonder_Woman wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 2:37am:
tbld is now an ex member, gone or reinvented.  Also, Rice80 cannot be a cop.  He could have never passed the written test.  I never judge someone by misspelled words on these sites because I have made them also.  But come on, this guy can't write.

i know plenty of cops who cant spell... First, spelling has nothign to do with being a LEO...majority of reports are done by compter ''spell check'' Its is ok to make a spelling mistake ty. Second, written tests arent that hard.....Last i dont think rice80 will ''prove'' that he has taken 3 polygraphs...Hey WW here are the names dates of my pg examiner etc blah blah why would you want him to prove anything to you? my guess is so you could call and tattle on him... huh ''bucko'' ''bub'' maybe??

Ole toothless wonder, bucko, bub.  I said he couldn't write.   Why is it that you guys want us all to 'prove' things when in fact you never offer up anything substantial to confirm you 'supposedly failed 1-2-3 polygraphs'.  Bottom line is I don't believe you.

BTW, your 9/20 post says EX member. BOOMSHAKALAKA

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 2:44am
Wonder_Woman wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 1:30am:
Ole toothless wonder, bucko, bub.  I said he couldn't write.   Why is it that you guys want us all to 'prove' things when in fact you never offer up anything substantial to confirm you 'supposedly failed 1-2-3 polygraphs'.  Bottom line is I don't believe you.

BTW, your 9/20 post says EX member. BOOMSHAKALAKA

It seems to me that this is nothing more than an attempt at deflection.   

How would it create discourse if, as soon as someone joined this site, they were immediately made to prove who they were and what, if any, experience they had with the polygraph?

I failed three polygraphs.  I am not interested in proving that to you, because it is irrelevant.  Even if I could somehow prove it to you, I don't think you would take my opinion any more seriously or give it any more weight than you do now.

My opinion is different than yours.  Both of us base our opinion on our experiences.   

There's an old lawyer saying: If the facts are on your side, pound the facts.  If the law is on your side, pound the law.  If neither is on your side, pound the table.

All these personal attacks on everything ranging from George's poetry to whether I'm actually a sergeant or a cop at all sure sounds like table-pounding to me.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:12am
Sarge, you or anyone else could send me a PM.  If I was able to verify the info, I would appologize for having my doubts and I wouldn't reveal the info on this site.

IP Logged

New User

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:19am
You can ''put'' ''everything'' in ''quotes'' you can ''deflect'' and ''reflect'' everything that comes you way... Ive talked with ex polygraphers (no im not going to give you their names, blood types, or social security numbers to ''prove'' myself no not ex polygraphers on this site) i know the ''skinny''  and for this site to be such a bore or soo unimportant you polygraphers sure do come here often

Oh and i have teeth ''buck-o''  Grin <<<seee           BOOMSHAKALAKA  Cheesy

IP Logged

Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:22am
Bucko - the toothless wonder came from your photo!  Also, next time try to be creative and not copy Sarge's post. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

New User

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:43am
wait for it... wait for it.... wow thank you captain obvious if you didnt point out the fact that my picture had an old toothless guy in it i dont know what i would have done... as it goes for sarges post he just beat me to what i was going to say good post btw sarge.... i know i know yea right whatever etc... anyway getting a little off track i have the research saved but it doesnt matter if i tell you where i got it all that will happen is it will get dismissed or attacked as untrue. and all the other typical diatribes that you can spew 

Until next time
BOOOMSHAKALAKA Cheesy and >>>>> Grin

IP Logged

POLYS

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X