Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Question Going for Poly Soon (Read 13617 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Re: Question Going for Poly Soon
Reply #15 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 1:11am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Boy, did I get bated into that one.  That is why I have refrained from joining these discussions over the years.   

George, I respect your opinon on polygraphs.  I don't agree with it, but you are entitled it.  I have tested hundreds of people that also didn't believe in polygraphs and after the test their opinion changed.  I have also tested many that attempted CMs and got caught.  I understand your quest to conquer polygraphs but I think that your site harms more than it helps.  I don't give a crap if a guilty person like policeHopeful wants to come in and lie (and get caught) but I feel bad for the innocent person looking for information and finds this site and gets psyched out - they loose out on a prospective employer due to the measures they use.

If polygraphs don't work - then why do you suggest CM's?  Bottom line is the polygraph detects 'physiological changes' that are indicative of deception on the naive and educated examinee.  Now, I do not intend to debate art vs science, provide research, take the challenge or reveal how I can detemine if CMs are used.  Do I believe they are 100% accurate? No.  On pre-employment exams the investigator should do a thorough job before the polygraph.  If there is arousal on a particular area, the info should be given back to the investigator for further investigation.  We don't believe the hiring process should be based entirely on the polygraph.   

As for PCSOT, I have found hundreds if not thousands of victims over the years that would not be known if it were not for the polygraph - on both the naive and educated examinee.  It is because of this issue that this site really irks me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 43rdbravo
New User

Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 1:21am
Thanks wounder-woman, It isn't the questions so much as me just coming of as a lier just because im nerveous. The only thing I might have to worry about is the fact that I worked 48 on and 12 0ff for so long that once or twice I took PQD's that belonged to someone else to help me get some good sleep but my old partner who is now with the same agency said I should be alright. thanks for the advice.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 2:01am
Wonder_Woman wrote on Sep 25th, 2007 at 1:11am:
Boy, did I get bated into that one.  That is why I have refrained from joining these discussions over the years.

No one baited you into posting on this website. It was your choice. I hope you won't regret it. Those who are dedicated to the truth should have nothing to fear from a frank debate.

Quote:
George, I respect your opinon on polygraphs.  I don't agree with it, but you are entitled it.  I have tested hundreds of people that also didn't believe in polygraphs and after the test their opinion changed.

You've no doubt also polygraphed people who believed in polygraphs until you incorrectly accused them of deception. But in most cases, such persons will have the better judgment not to question polygraphy to your face.

Quote:
I have also tested many that attempted CMs and got caught.

But you have no way of knowing how many you've polygraphed who employed countermeasures and were not caught. The fact remains that no polygrapher has ever demonstrated the ability to reliably detect the kinds of countermeasures described in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Quote:
I understand your quest to conquer polygraphs but I think that your site harms more than it helps.

On what do you base this belief? How much of it is based on self-interest?

Quote:
I don't give a crap if a guilty person like policeHopeful wants to come in and lie (and get caught) but I feel bad for the innocent person looking for information and finds this site and gets psyched out - they loose out on a prospective employer due to the measures they use.

You really have no way of knowing whether policeHopeful, who posted in another thread, is "guilty" of disqualifying behavior or plans on lying to any relevant question. In any event, despite your expressed concern about innocent persons looking for information being "psyched out" by this website, you haven't pointed out anything published here about polygraphy that is untrue.

Quote:
If polygraphs don't work - then why do you suggest CM's?

Precisely because they don't work: simply telling the truth is no guarantee that one will pass. If it were, this site would not exist.

Quote:
Bottom line is the polygraph detects 'physiological changes' that are indicative of deception on the naive and educated examinee.

No it doesn't. The polygraph detects physiological changes that may stem from a multitude of uncontrolled and uncontrollable factors. As Professor John Furedy has observed, polygraph techniques have no real way of differentiating between the nervous-but-innocent and the nervous-and-guilty.

Quote:
Now, I do not intend to debate art vs science, provide research, take the challenge or reveal how I can detemine if CMs are used.

You may make this choice, but it doesn't inspire confidence.

Quote:
Do I believe they are 100% accurate? No.

How accurate do you believe them to be? And on the basis of what evidence?

Quote:
On pre-employment exams the investigator should do a thorough job before the polygraph.  If there is arousal on a particular area, the info should be given back to the investigator for further investigation.  We don't believe the hiring process should be based entirely on the polygraph.

Unfortunately, that's not the way things work in practice. With most agencies, the applications of those who "fail" their pre-employment polygraph examinations are summarily terminated. 

Quote:
As for PCSOT, I have found hundreds if not thousands of victims over the years that would not be known if it were not for the polygraph - on both the naive and educated examinee.  It is because of this issue that this site really irks me. 

This is an example of the utility, and not the validity, of polygraphy. As Dr. Drew Richardson has pointed out, post conviction sex offender "testing" is every bit as invalid as pre-employment polygraph screening. And as public understanding that polygraphy is a pseudoscience inevitably grows, the utility of the polygraph for eliciting admissions from those who might otherwise be unwilling to make them will inevitably wane.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:17pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 3:48am
As for PCSOT, I have found hundreds if not thousands of victims over the years that would not be known if it were not for the polygraph - on both the naive and educated examinee.  It is because of this issue that this site really irks me.  

Let me tell you what irks me:

These admissions are solely from the bogus pipeline effect (see Sigall and Jones 1971) and not from any ability by the polygraph to detect lies. Even the voice stress analyzer which has been shown to be unreliable has this effect. This utility to elicit admissions is rendered useless once the subject knows the bogus nature of the instrument which is one of the many reasons why PSCOT use of the polygraph is a threat to society...

In addition, prior research has shown that some offenders have lied about offending to please the polygrapher and therapist (Kokish, et al, 2005). How is this useful in the treatment of sex offenders?

As I have pointed out before, serial use of the polygraph also has habituation and sensitization concerns that render the polygraph useless. Even if the polygraph were 90% accurate (which the peer-reviewed literature outside of the Polygraph trade magazine does not support), I've been able to show that the presence of even minimal serial correlation substantially lowers the accuracy of subsequent polygraphs. I'm about ready to send this paper off to a journal, I'll have George post it once it gets through the first rounds of review...

As I have also pointed out previously, Joseph Duncan, who has been convicted and sentenced in the deaths of Groene family in North Idaho, was on PSCOT polygraph in the mid-90s. It has now come to light that he has admitted to murdering two young girls in Seattle. The murders occurred while he was on quarterly polygraph examinations and were never discovered by the polygraph. Please make sure everyone reads that sentence again... 

How can we trust the polygraph if it can't catch a murderer?

Finally, as George, Dr. Richardson, myself and others have pointed out, the polygraph provides false assurances that have, as in the Duncan case, and certainly will lead to more serious crimes against society. It must be abandoned...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #19 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 6:46am
 I don't give a crap if a guilty person like policeHopeful wants to come in and lie (and get caught) but I feel bad for the innocent person looking for information and finds this site and gets psyched out - they loose out on a prospective employer due to the measures they use.  

I feel bad for the people like me, who "believed" in the polygraph and went into my tests believing all I had to do was tell the truth and I would pass.  I was completely mystified when I failed three in a row, because I had been telling the complete truth in all of them.  At the time I was completely ignorant of the existance of CM's, and I certainly didn't try to employ any.  The sum total of my knowledge of the polygraph came from the fiction I saw on TV and in the movies, i.e., if you lie the polygraph machine will show that you are lying.

Do you feel bad for the person who takes the exam, tells the truth, and fails?  Or do you console yourself when that happens but telling yourself the person must have been attempting CM's in a misguided attempt to protect himself from a false positive?
Or do you, like many of the examiners on this site, shrug away those people who claimed to have told the truth and still failed with the sentiment that, even if that is true, the polygraph catches more liars than it unjustly screws truthful people?

I didn't look for any information and I still lost out on three prospective employers.  I should say, rather than I lost out on them, that they lost out on me.  Since the BS polygraph removed me from their hiring process I finally passed my fourth polygraph and have since worked for over ten years as a police officer.   

I think that it is preferrable to have knowledge, regardless of the situation.  My lack of knowledge of the polygraph didn't make it any easier for me to pass, even though I told the truth.

I don't see how you can truly believe that providing information on how the polygraph works and what the test procedure consists of can possible be harmful.  Unless, of course, you wish to admit that the polygraph is not a valid scientific test.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 10:11pm
In the 1970's and 80's, when enough people in the private workplace suffered similiar experiences to your's, the Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988 was enacted.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Reply #21 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 10:30pm
digithead wrote on Sep 25th, 2007 at 3:48am:
As for PCSOT, I have found hundreds if not thousands of victims over the years that would not be known if it were not for the polygraph - on both the naive and educated examinee.  It is because of this issue that this site really irks me.  

Let me tell you what irks me:

These admissions are solely from the bogus pipeline effect (see Sigall and Jones 1971) and not from any ability by the polygraph to detect lies. Even the voice stress analyzer which has been shown to be unreliable has this effect. This utility to elicit admissions is rendered useless once the subject knows the bogus nature of the instrument which is one of the many reasons why PSCOT use of the polygraph is a threat to society...

In addition, prior research has shown that some offenders have lied about offending to please the polygrapher and therapist (Kokish, et al, 2005). How is this useful in the treatment of sex offenders?

As I have pointed out before, serial use of the polygraph also has habituation and sensitization concerns that render the polygraph useless. Even if the polygraph were 90% accurate (which the peer-reviewed literature outside of the Polygraph trade magazine does not support), I've been able to show that the presence of even minimal serial correlation substantially lowers the accuracy of subsequent polygraphs. I'm about ready to send this paper off to a journal, I'll have George post it once it gets through the first rounds of review...

As I have also pointed out previously, Joseph Duncan, who has been convicted and sentenced in the deaths of Groene family in North Idaho, was on PSCOT polygraph in the mid-90s. It has now come to light that he has admitted to murdering two young girls in Seattle. The murders occurred while he was on quarterly polygraph examinations and were never discovered by the polygraph. Please make sure everyone reads that sentence again... 

Finally, as George, Dr. Richardson, myself and others have pointed out, the polygraph provides false assurances that have, as in the Duncan case, and certainly will lead to more serious crimes against society. It must be abandoned...

I am looking forward to this research paper D-Head. If you can convince me, than you can convince anyone. I am however a little puzzled by just who you are referring to who has such "false assurances." Most professionals I deal with in the PCSOT arena take passed polygraphs with a grain of salt. It seems that your hatred for polygraph blinds you to it's niche usage.

my 2 cents

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #22 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 11:11pm
Paradiddle wrote on Sep 25th, 2007 at 10:30pm:
I am looking forward to this research paper D-Head. If you can convince me, than you can convince anyone. I am however a little puzzled by just who you are referring to who has such "false assurances." Most professionals I deal with in the PCSOT arena take passed polygraphs with a grain of salt. It seems that your hatred for polygraph blinds you to it's niche usage.

my 2 cents

It's niche usage definitely leads to false assurances that it can contain sex offenders because it's pseudoscience. I have a hatred of all pseudoscience because they are harmful to society...

But with regard to specifics. First, if a sex offender passes a maintenance polygraph they are kept at the same level of supervision. It's not until they fail a maintenance polygraph that any investigation or increase in surveillance/supervision occurs. Given the high likelihood of false negatives in this group this provides false assurances..

Second, if passed polygraphs are to be taken with a grain of salt then why are they used for maintenance purposes, i.e. complying with treatment and supervision protocols? If it's because of their utility for eliciting confessions then again this provides false assurances. Remember the number one countermeasure to make no damaging admissions?

Again, I'll repeat what said about Joseph Duncan: he murdered two girls in Seattle while on PCSOT. His one failed polygraph for marijuana use and being around his girlfriend's two daughters without his P.O.'s consent came more than six months after he murdered the Seattle girls. If the polygraph had any real utility, it should have at least picked up on the fact he committed murder. It didn't and he went on to murder at least 6 more people. If this isn't a prime example of false assurances then I can't help you...

Finally, it's the people that peddle this pseudoscience that are blind, not me. To paraphrase Carl Sagan, if you've been bamboozled long enough you'll reject any evidence of the bamboozle...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Snake_Eater
New User

Reply #23 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 11:26pm
Well Dr. DODPI, once again you and your buddies like to throw around your peer reviewed scientific studies, despite the fact the vast majority have not been supported by peer review, and as usual you stifle the dissenting views, as is well documented about your Matchbook University (DACA).  Once someone breaks with the DODPI party-line they are dismissed, transferred or fired.  It is true, check the records folks --- it is all in the public domain.  In fact, wasn’t it the NAS that exposed the unscientific and biased approach of your so called scientific research?  So let’s turn to your latest scientific study “Honts and Alloway.”  First off who funded this study?  Secondly, who wrote the protocols?  Third and most important, it is as bogus as all previous DODPI and DODPI-like studies for one simple reason – it was conducted in the absence of true jeopardy.  Dr. DODPI, you know as well as I do that so called “scientific studies” attempting to recreate jeopardy in a laboratory environment are invalid. I already know you will try to justify these shams with your 50 cent words, but you know they don’t work.  But they are easily manipulated to provide the desired outcome.  They are just smoke screens used to manipulate decision makers about a capability that does not work effectively in the real world.  That is why DOD is switching to LVA.  As we speak DOD has students attending LVA training.  Polygraph and DACA are on the way out.  Current DOD statistic regarding your magic box provide it is only 70-80% accurate in the field.  Throw in a 25% inconclusive rate and the true accuracy is at best about 60%.  Sure its better than tossing a coin, but we are not playing a game (you might be, but the real warriors aren’t).  And, in fact your buddy Robert Andrews was fired.  It is in Bill Gertz’s reporting this week.  I know it says he “resigned” but that is just Washington DC code for being fired.  I know the facts about his half-assed performance and leaking of information to the press without authority.  Shame on you and your poly-boys Dr. DODPI….

Now let’s take a look at the stellar Honts and Alloway scientific study you so easily cite:

Abstract:

Purpose Detailed information about the comparison question test (CQT) and possible countermeasures are now available on the Internet. This study examined whether the provision of such information would affect the validity of the Test for Espionage and Sabotage, a directed lie variant of the CQT. 

Method Forty participants were divided into four equal groups: guilty, guilty informed, innocent, and innocent informed. During a first appointment, participants either did or did not commit a mock crime: then some were provided with a book containing detailed information on the CQT, including possible countermeasures. After 1 week with the book, all participants were administered a CQT during their second appointment. Following the polygraph, participants responded to a questionnaire that asked them about their behaviour and perceptions during their examination.

Wow this is really scientific….   Let’s dream up a mock crime and base the entire results of our bogus study on this fakery.  I hope they don’t test drugs that way - making up mock diseases and using people as lab rats test snake-oil.  Man you make me sick…  I hope you are not a real government employee because you are wasting tax payer dollars posting on this site all day instead of working.  Oh, I forgot, that is your job once you finish emptying the ashtrays you have plenty of time to dream up idiotic postings.  I feel so safe at night knowing there are bureaucrats such as you keeping America free….

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #24 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 2:17am
D-head said:

D-head, I just was looking around on the net for this information to confirm your info (instead of insisting you provide proof of your assumptions like you guys like to).  I have found several polygraph reports but I will just let you know the last 4.  5/23/95 truthful, 9/16/95 truthful, 6/11/96 truthful, 3/26/97 DECEPTIVE.  The two girls Sammijo White and Carmen Cubia disappeared 7/6/96 (for those intellectually challenged, that was after his truthful exam).   Also for those challenged individuals Duncan was also suspected in a case on a boy named Anthony Martinez on 4/4/97 (that one would have been after he was found deceptive).   The reports I read said he was sent back to prison on a parole violation on 7/14/00.  I don't see any other polygraphs after 3/26/97 and the time frame between 6/11/96 and 3/26/97 is not QUARTERLY.  In 2005 when Shasta was taken (and her family was sexually abused and murdered ) Duncan had been released from prison and he wasn't on supervision - he only had to register his address.

Perhaps your anger should be directed elsewhere.  His PO was probably trying to keep track of 75 sex offenders and putting out fires daily.  The murders are not based on him passing a polygraph.  Be pissed off at the States for releasing these bastards!  At least us polygraph examiners are trying to help save children.  What have you done lately other than bitch on this site. 

If I recall this site is only 5-6 years old, so I can't blame the anti site for their 'never admit anything' motto after a failed poly.   

Don't get your panties in a wad when it isn't necessary.  

Make sure eveyone reads that last statement!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #25 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 2:52am
Snake_Eater wrote on Sep 25th, 2007 at 11:26pm:
Well Dr. DODPI, once again you and your buddies like to throw around your peer reviewed scientific studies, despite the fact the vast majority have not been supported by peer review, and as usual you stifle the dissenting views, as is well documented about your Matchbook University (DACA).  Once someone breaks with the DODPI party-line they are dismissed, transferred or fired.  It is true, check the records folks --- it is all in the public domain.  In fact, wasn’t it the NAS that exposed the unscientific and biased approach of your so called scientific research?  So let’s turn to your latest scientific study “Honts and Alloway.”  First off who funded this study?  Secondly, who wrote the protocols?  Third and most important, it is as bogus as all previous DODPI and DODPI-like studies for one simple reason – it was conducted in the absence of true jeopardy.  Dr. DODPI, you know as well as I do that so called “scientific studies” attempting to recreate jeopardy in a laboratory environment are invalid. I already know you will try to justify these shams with your 50 cent words, but you know they don’t work.  But they are easily manipulated to provide the desired outcome.  They are just smoke screens used to manipulate decision makers about a capability that does not work effectively in the real world.  That is why DOD is switching to LVA.  As we speak DOD has students attending LVA training.  Polygraph and DACA are on the way out.  Current DOD statistic regarding your magic box provide it is only 70-80% accurate in the field.  Throw in a 25% inconclusive rate and the true accuracy is at best about 60%.  Sure its better than tossing a coin, but we are not playing a game (you might be, but the real warriors aren’t).  And, in fact your buddy Robert Andrews was fired.  It is in Bill Gertz’s reporting this week.  I know it says he “resigned” but that is just Washington DC code for being fired.  I know the facts about his half-assed performance and leaking of information to the press without authority.  Shame on you and your poly-boys Dr. DODPI….

Now let’s take a look at the stellar Honts and Alloway scientific study you so easily cite:

Abstract:

Purpose Detailed information about the comparison question test (CQT) and possible countermeasures are now available on the Internet. This study examined whether the provision of such information would affect the validity of the Test for Espionage and Sabotage, a directed lie variant of the CQT. 

Method Forty participants were divided into four equal groups: guilty, guilty informed, innocent, and innocent informed. During a first appointment, participants either did or did not commit a mock crime: then some were provided with a book containing detailed information on the CQT, including possible countermeasures. After 1 week with the book, all participants were administered a CQT during their second appointment. Following the polygraph, participants responded to a questionnaire that asked them about their behaviour and perceptions during their examination.

Wow this is really scientific….   Let’s dream up a mock crime and base the entire results of our bogus study on this fakery.  I hope they don’t test drugs that way - making up mock diseases and using people as lab rats test snake-oil.  Man you make me sick…  I hope you are not a real government employee because you are wasting tax payer dollars posting on this site all day instead of working.  Oh, I forgot, that is your job once you finish emptying the ashtrays you have plenty of time to dream up idiotic postings.  I feel so safe at night knowing there are bureaucrats such as you keeping America free….

Snake Eater,
I am on a 2 week vacation and have been cruising this and other polygraph sites frequently. I am not a DODPI cheerleader, period. You on the other hand have shown a dementia and rage that worries me. Your winning battle cry over your (LVA) professed victory over DACA is as grave as my lower battle cry from eating White Castle Hamburgers. To be frank, no one believes you pal. You know a few names, and you know a thing or two about cut and paste---hell, you might have even ran a test or two with your Winnie the Pooh Mr. Microphone. But talk to your Doctor about Lexapro. The government is using VSA because they can't get enough examiners to fill the polygraph positions, not because polygraph is put out of favor. LVA gets a little break with testing low value targets for economical research and Snake man here thinks it's V-Day.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #26 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 4:56am
Wonder_Woman wrote on Sep 26th, 2007 at 2:17am:

D-head, I just was looking around on the net for this information to confirm your info (instead of insisting you provide proof of your assumptions like you guys like to).  I have found several polygraph reports but I will just let you know the last 4.  5/23/95 truthful, 9/16/95 truthful, 6/11/96 truthful, 3/26/97 DECEPTIVE.  The two girls Sammijo White and Carmen Cubia disappeared 7/6/96 (for those intellectually challenged, that was after his truthful exam).   Also for those challenged individuals Duncan was also suspected in a case on a boy named Anthony Martinez on 4/4/97 (that one would have been after he was found deceptive).   The reports I read said he was sent back to prison on a parole violation on 7/14/00.  I don't see any other polygraphs after 3/26/97 and the time frame between 6/11/96 and 3/26/97 is not QUARTERLY.  In 2005 when Shasta was taken (and her family was sexually abused and murdered ) Duncan had been released from prison and he wasn't on supervision - he only had to register his address.

If you had looked at my previous posts about Duncan, I already linked to them but good job on using Google...

What about the time between 6/11/96 and 3/26/97? There were at least two more polygraph exams in that time frame since he was on quarterly exams. They haven't been posted to the web, I hope they eventually surface but I'm guessing that he "passed" those too. After I get done with other projects I intend to research this more fully using FOA with the State of Washington. As for the last "failed" exam, Duncan only admitted to smoking marijuana and being around his girlfriend's kids without the permission of his PO. He then absconded soon after this to California and murdered Anthony Martinez....

Duncan was sent back to prison in 1997 not for his polygraph failure but for parole absconding. Authorities never suspected him of the Martinez murder until after the Groene murders. He finished out his sentence in 2000, moved to North Dakota and the rest is unfortunate history. Including the fact that he was let out by a judge in MN on very low bond for suspected child molestation because the judge didn't have his record... 

Perhaps your anger should be directed elsewhere.  His PO was probably trying to keep track of 75 sex offenders and putting out fires daily.  The murders are not based on him passing a polygraph.

Trust me, I know there is blame for the entire criminal justice system regarding this psychopath but sadly, you're wrong. There were a specific chain of events and they all lead back to the polygraph not catching his true intial offenses...

Be pissed off at the States for releasing these bastards!  At least us polygraph examiners are trying to help save children.  What have you done lately other than bitch on this site.

Since you asked: 

I worked for 4 years in a state correctional system and another 3 as a state CJ program evaluator. Now I'm finishing my Ph.D. in criminal justice; I teach criminal justice classes (intro to CJ, policing, sex offending, research methods) at a large university; and I advise students on their CJ career choices. I also do research into correctional treatment programs, sex offender treatment programs, criminological theory, sentencing policy, and the use of pseudoscience in law enforcement (alas, the polygraph isn't the only one). My hope is that my research will help improve law enforcement and the criminal justice system...

By the way, your argument uses something called special pleading which is a type of logical fallacy. Also, appealing to emotion is another type of logical fallacy. Try sticking with the facts, they usually work pretty well on their own...

Don't get your panties in a wad when it isn't necessary.  

Make sure eveyone reads that last statement!

If you're going to try to use humor, it should at least be funny...

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #27 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 12:11pm
Legit concerns D. But walk in the shoes.... When you have a limited # of poly questions, and a world of questions---well, you know it's tough. I was unable to identify dangerous behavior from an offender due to concerns by team members that were not the crux of that Offender's new method of manipulation. This is a simple concept. I would be interested to see if your Offender had been administered a Monitoring Exam (committing new sex crimes)vs. a Maintenace exam (breaking supervision rules). Somehow, I doubt he was given a monitoring exam. I think at last count I totaled 700 target areas that could be tested on a polygraph for supervision and/or sexual crime issues. On each polygraph test, ya got 4 to 8 issues to test. On behalf of Sex Offender Containment professionals, I apoligize that we aren't doing better Digithead.

IP Logged

Question Going for Poly Soon

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X