Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Question Going for Poly Soon (Read 13591 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NeedHelpNow
New User

Question Going for Poly Soon
Sep 20th, 2007 at 2:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The question is, I wasn't completely truthful on one of the questions on my application pertaining to drug use.   If I'm asked in pre-interview before the poly if I was completly honest in my application, do I come clean or stick to what I put on the application and hope for the best on the poly?  I'm unsure as to what direction would look better for me??  Would it be worse to admit I wasn't completely truthful and pray for leniency? or possibly appear deceptive in the poly if thats how it plays out? Thanks for any help in advance!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Re: Question Going for Poly Soon
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 5:56pm
If your admission is minor, try to clean it up.  If your admission is major, stand by your application.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 2:21am
NeedHelpNow wrote on Sep 20th, 2007 at 2:40pm:
The question is, I wasn't completely truthful on one of the questions on my application pertaining to drug use.   If I'm asked in pre-interview before the poly if I was completly honest in my application, do I come clean or stick to what I put on the application and hope for the best on the poly?  I'm unsure as to what direction would look better for me??  Would it be worse to admit I wasn't completely truthful and pray for leniency? or possibly appear deceptive in the poly if thats how it plays out? Thanks for any help in advance!

You should tell the truth.

If you realized after filling out your application that you included incorrect or incomplete information you should change it as soon as possible.

Anything else would be unethical.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box policeHopeful
User

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 7:51pm
hi sarge could you view my post and possibly answer my question for me? thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 12:33am
policeHopeful wrote on Sep 21st, 2007 at 7:51pm:
hi sarge could you view my post and possibly answer my question for me? thanks

I did answer your question.

If you supplied incorrect or incomplete information to your background investigator you should get in touch with them ASAP and tell them of your error.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 43rdbravo
New User

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 7:18pm
I am also considering law enforcment after 10yrs in EMS and I am afraid of the questions. What can I do to prepair myself for them?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tbld
Ex Member

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

Going for Poly Soon
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 9:25am
Believing that polys work is like believing that David Copperfield really is magical.. Copperfield wants you to believe in his magic and so do the polygraphers.  It is used to  frighten confessions out of people. The users of the machine don't really believe it can detect lies, (ok well maybe some do)  Wink They know that the people  given the test  think the machine can catch them in a lie. The result is the same as if the test really does work. 

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 12:38pm
David Copperfield does not want anyone to think he has magical powers.  His show works indepentant of whether you believe it is the result of magic or careful planning.  Copperfield provides a service, i.e. entertainment which people pay to enjoy.  Because some polyexs choose to use PL comparison questions. you cannot assume from that fact alone that PL questions are necessary to all techniques.   

Explain to me, please, why you think someone would pay for me to frighten them into a confession?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Ex Member

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 5:48pm
Quote:
Reply #7 - Today at 8:38am    David Copperfield does not want anyone to think he has magical powers.  His show works indepentant of whether you believe it is the result of magic or careful planning.  Copperfield provides a service, i.e. entertainment which people pay to enjoy.  Because some polyexs choose to use PL comparison questions. you cannot assume from that fact alone that PL questions are necessary to all techniques.   

Explain to me, please, why you think someone would pay for me to frighten them into a confession?   
HUH ?!?!?!!?
I never said anything about Copperfield wanting people to belive he had magical powers. I said believing in polys is like believing that copperfield has magical powers. Where did you get that skew from? Oh wait your a PG hmm...  polys are indeed used to  frighten confessions out of people. They believe it can detect lies and are therefore voodooed into believing it works Kind of like a placebo (placebo is a preparation which is pharmacologically inert but which may have a therapeutical effect based solely on the power of suggestion)Hence the pg test they  think the machine can catch them in a lie, and the result is the same as if the test really does work.   
p.s. I think your just mad beacuse you got compared to David Copperfield maybe Ill use David Blaine next time...... Cheesy

Reply #7 - Today at 8:38am    David Copperfield does not want anyone to think he has magical powers.  His show works indepentant of whether you believe it is the result of magic or careful planning.  Copperfield provides a service, i.e. entertainment which people pay to enjoy.  Because some polyexs choose to use PL comparison questions. you cannot assume from that fact alone that PL questions are necessary to all techniques.   

Don't drink the kool-aid!

IP Logged

Ex Member

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 5:50pm
sorry quote radio button didnt work

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 8:45pm
tbld

I'm not mad.  And you did not answer my question.  I am a private examiner, why would someone pay me to frighten them into a confession? 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Re:  Going for Poly Soon
Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:18am
tbld wrote on Sep 24th, 2007 at 9:25am:
Believing that polys work is like believing that David Copperfield really is magical.. Copperfield wants you to believe in his magic and so do the polygraphers.  It is used to  frighten confessions out of people. The users of the machine don't really believe it can detect lies, (ok well maybe some do)  Wink They know that the people  given the test  think the machine can catch them in a lie. The result is the same as if the test really does work. 

I don't want any examinee to believe what I do is magical or voodoo.  I too do not fighten confessions out of people.  You know that damn thing actually works!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:24am
43rdbravo - what questions are you afraid of?  Most of the time you just psych yourself out by reading this site.  Contact the agency you are looking at and see if your concern would disqualify you.  Then stop stressing, get a good nights sleep and have something to eat before the exam.  Go into the exam and be truthful!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re:  Going for Poly Soon
Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:25am
Wonder_Woman wrote on Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:18am:
tbld wrote on Sep 24th, 2007 at 9:25am:
Believing that polys work is like believing that David Copperfield really is magical.. Copperfield wants you to believe in his magic and so do the polygraphers.  It is used to  frighten confessions out of people. The users of the machine don't really believe it can detect lies, (ok well maybe some do)  Wink They know that the people  given the test  think the machine can catch them in a lie. The result is the same as if the test really does work. 

I don't want any examinee to believe what I do is magical or voodoo.  I too do not fighten confessions out of people.  You know that damn thing actually works!

Of course, you don't want examinees to believe the polygraph is magic or voodoo. You want them to think it's "scientific." But it isn't. The lie detector cannot detect lies, and it is only effective at inducing admissions/confessions to the extent that an examinee naively believes it can.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:36am
Wonder_Woman wrote on Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:24am:
43rdbravo - what questions are you afraid of?  Most of the time you just psych yourself out by reading this site.  Contact the agency you are looking at and see if your concern would disqualify you.  Then stop stressing, get a good nights sleep and have something to eat before the exam.  Go into the exam and be truthful!

"Wonder Woman,"

How on earth would you know that "most of the time" 43rdbravo "psychs him- or herself out" by reading this site? If there is anything on this site (particularly in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector) you believe to be false or misleading, please explain.

I would agree with you that applicants for positions of public trust have an ethical obligation to answer relevant questions truthfully, and it is perhaps not a bad idea for applicants to inquire about whether something of concern would be disqualifying.

But unfortunately, simply getting a good night's sleep, having something to eat before the polygraph exam, and telling the truth is no guarantee that one will pass the polygraph. I did precisely that on my FBI and LAPD polygraphs and was falsely accused of deception and using countermeasures (at a time when I didn't even know what countermeasures are). And many have had similar experiences.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Question Going for Poly Soon

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X